Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speeding ticket on my way to Mammoth

whoops, my bad... honestly its going to be tough, its going to come your word vs theirs. what you would need to challenge is whether or not they had a clear and unobstructed view of your vehicle. just lay it out as you did on the forum referencing the possibility that the speed was from the other vehicle. the thing is if your speed was captured via laser then the laser had to specifically be pointed at your vehicle but if it was radar then there is a chance it go the speed of the other vehicle. other then that request the logs of the calibration for the device... good luck

It is also important to point out that the use of a laser/radar gun requires the officer/deputy to be able to visually estimate your speed within 5 miles per hour without the device. That being said, if they are claiming your speed to be anything more than 5 mph over the speed limit, their visual estimation is also admissible in court and stands by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by revumbra View Post
    It is also important to point out that the use of a laser/radar gun requires the officer/deputy to be able to visually estimate your speed within 5 miles per hour without the device. That being said, if they are claiming your speed to be anything more than 5 mph over the speed limit, their visual estimation is also admissible in court and stands by itself.
    i'll double check this but im pretty sure you're wrong

No, I am right. I even asked a traffic unit prior to posting. The laser/radar tool is to assist in their ability to determine speed, not a stand alone device. The vehicle mounted radar tools are a little different. You can check your county,but down here it is the rules and I have seen it in court.

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    ^What county?

Cars
    06 EB Evo IX GSR / 21 Type R
    Quote Originally Posted by revumbra View Post

I do believe this is true, just verbage is a bit confusing. The CHP officer must be certified in both radar/laser and speed estimation, but does not require him to actually estimate your speed if he/she utilized radar/laser already. Most of the time once caught on radar/laser, the officer will utilize the speedometer on the patrol vehicle as a secondary tool (a.k.a. pacing). Keep in mind, this does not apply to all agencies.

Interesting. I will be filing for my first extension within the next week so I will keep everyone updated on the outcome
    94 Miata VVT swap (track) ; 83 Aurora Cobra (project) ; 99 Accord (Sold!) ; 06 Evo (New daily), 95 Miata (New New Daily)
    Check out my miata build :D

Cars
    2007 Altima 2.5 6MT (race car) 1990 Honda Accord (daily)
    Just by reading this it's gonna be tough to win. I have friends who live in Mammoth Lakes and they always say how dicks the police officers are out there. Even I got tickets that I couldn't win til this day in that area. Try extending the court date for the time being and go thru TBD and take your chances that way

^^ The cops out there are definitely assholes. I filed for an extension and they have approved it and extended it to April 23. They said no extra extensions will be granted. I'm buying a radar detector today so this situation doesn't happen again haha. Still have to write my TBD, probably some time this weekend so I don't have to think about it and I'll send it right before my due date. I'm going out to Mammoth again tomorrow so hopefully everything goes smoothly :)
    94 Miata VVT swap (track) ; 83 Aurora Cobra (project) ; 99 Accord (Sold!) ; 06 Evo (New daily), 95 Miata (New New Daily)
    Check out my miata build :D

don't waste your money on a radar detector... you were most likely caught on lidar(laser). By the time a radar detector alerts you its already too late...

ashleymiche, I am wondering how your TBD went. I find myself in a similar situation with a speeding ticket close to Big Pine on my way to Mammoth. I would like to hear about your experience in fighting this ticket if you would be so kind.

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    The 3 year old thread may or may not be receiving any attention anytime soon. There's a ton of TBD stuff floating around the net though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12