Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why did you get the Evo?

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    '15 EVO X FE
    1 - Why did you get your Evo?
    It was such a fkin awesome experience test-driving one that I couldn't resist. Read below for the full story.

2 - What was your first car?
    Chrysler New Yorker, old pos but it was damn luxurious

3 - And how did it lead up to getting the Evo?
    In college I got interested in the Japanese imports as some of my buddies owned them, so I started reading up on relevant magazines and one day I decided to go and test drive a few cars I would potentially buy. I was planning to test drive at least 5 cars, but wasn't planning to buy any until after I graduate. Evo being the 3rd car I drove, it just captured my heart right there and I ended up getting my first VIII without even having the budget for it.

4 - If the Evo didn't exist today and all the others did, what car (realistically) would you own instead?
    I'd drive my pos Chrysler until it died of age. By the time it died, I'd have enough money to ship over a '01 R-34 GT-R from Japan and make it DOT-certified. Or at least buy one of those '98 GTS-T's that MOTOREX actually got certified with the DOT.
    Phantom black 2012 Evo X GSR @ 340awhp on pump 91
    Tuned by Mike W @ RRE.

2014 Mercury Gray Evo X MR. Currently stock. Currently :)

Cars
    2006 Evo IX SE / 2010 Civic DX

1 - Why did you get the Evo?

Turbo! Fell in love with turbo cars when I had my VW GTI 1.8t.

1995 Honda Civic EX

Luck. A good friend's brother wanted to sell his; 1 owner, basically stock, well taken care of. Couldn't pass it up.

4 - If the Evo didn't exist today and all the others did, what car (realistically) would you own instead?

I would have probably gone the luxury route; IS250, BMW1/2-series, C250

z
    e
    R
    e
    p
    cl_modifications 0

Cars
    BBY Evo VIII- Gone to greener pastures Black FX35 10' AS GSR
    I got an Evo for my wife actually...In 2009 we went and looked into getting a X but just couldn't justify the price at the time. I was driving a Range Rover, and for what I paid for the Range, was a car with less than half of the features. So fast forward a few years, and I found a good VIII and talked the wife into it.

My fist car was a 1992 Eagle Talon TSI and it was bitchin!!! Made a boost controller out of a pvc flange from home depot. I thought that car was so fast.

I don't think the Talon lead up to getting an Evo. In fact, it wasn't for a some time after/and about 10 cars later, that I ever really even considered it since they weren't even available in the U.S. I always used them in Gran Turismo though. Eventually I got one...and then traded it in on another one.

Man, if the Evo didn't exist, I would probably have a nice looking bank account. I would probably drive an S4 or RS4 to be honest. About 2 months back, I almost sold my VIII to get a lifted F250...but then found my X.

Elevendy Billion AWHP/RRE Flux Capacitor

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcherb686 View Post
    Man, if the Evo didn't exist, I would probably have a nice looking bank account. I would probably drive an S4 or RS4 to be honest.

Cars
    2010 PB Evo X
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcherb686 View Post

Man, if the Evo didn't exist, I would probably have a nice looking bank account. I would probably drive an S4 or RS4 to be honest.
    contradictory statements is contradictory. LOL

Cars
    I would just drive the RS4 or S4 and not put money into it. The Evo is a money pit...ok fine Ive though about this...I would get a Porsche....

real talk, I wouldn't mind another range rover.
    Last edited by Jcherb686; 09-21-2015 at 12:24 PM.

Cars
    Cost of ownership, maintenance alone, on RS4 or S4 can turn it into a money pit pretty quick. Expensive everything. And if you have any issues with the timing components, you're toast. If you plan to do it yourself, $3k on all parts, and it's an engine-out service so a hoist and a good workspace are a must. Most shops run between $5k on the super cheap end and $10k to do the whole job.

I want a Porsche as well, but can't afford cost of ownership there either quite yet. The Evo is more affordable to own. Granted, i've kept mine mostly stock, but if you do that the cost of ownership can be very low and they are super reliable!

I agree with everything Apex Hunter said.

Cars
    Fine ill keep the evo....forever

Haha, nice thread!

Always loved watching Tommi Makinen in the WRC, wanted one ever since

Lancer coupe (mirage)

It was the obvious progression once I had the cash. Had the VI for 6 years, moved to the US and of course bought another (IX)

At the time would have been a Nissan of some sort, S-chassis most likely, but now I'd lean to something like a BMW M3

Cars
    2013 WW EVO X GSR
    Always wanted one ever since I was in high school. Everything about the car, especially the 4 doors and the Big A** wing A friend had a WRX and it only reinforced my love for the car.

1997 Honda Accord Limited Edition (bought off my sister for 3k) stuck with that for a good 4-5 years

I didn't have the funds to afford an evo, and I was still in college. Asking my parents to buy me one was out of the question
    (Asian parents = Y U WANT RACECAR FOR?!)
    Got a job out of college that didn't pay too well, stuck with that for a year. Then quit and got a better job which made it financially possible to afford one.

Realistically, probably an STI or an M3 lol. If I had the funds, a GTR

Cars
    2015 Evo X GSR
    AWD, Turbo, overall body design is amazing.

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart

I was currently driving a 2013 base lancer es, i just feel ashamed driving a fake evo. I initially wanted to spark things up and try to get an 2015 Sti but the cost and the availability at that time wasn't in my range so i settled for a 2015 evo x. best decision ever.

an Sti most likely, or a lexus.

Alright I'm game...here goes...

1- Why did you get the Evo?
    Quarter life crisis. Was driving a modded 4-door Toyota Yaris (not kidding) and realized I hated myself. Had 2 kids, my individuality was being shredded, I felt I had nothing that was "my own" so I drove to the dealer and bought it.

Not answering this, since it's a security question in some places; But I still love this car to this day with all my heart.

Wanted one, bought one. Like a boss.

2016 Nissan Maxima, those are nice. But likely a bone-stock, beautifully reliable and boring Honda Accord or Civic. 300K on oil changes sounds wonderful to me.

I took over payments as my brother could not afford $700 note a month. This was in 06.

Honda civic hb

I asked my brother if i could take his car and it was game over for me.

I would not sell my 01 impreza rs.

Good Morning Guys:

Here Goes:

My college buddy took me for a spin at a track and it was honestly one of the funnest times I've had in his car. From that point on I knew I wanted one.

Honda Accord

My buddy introduced me to sam smash..

Tesla Model S

Cars
    Welcome. Yeah, they certainly can defy the laws of physics. Pretty amazing.
    When is your first track day?

My first track day was actually a year ago.. i've actually had the car for almost 2 years now. I was just never on the forums :D

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345