Thread: Cobb AP

Mr. Gangbang

Cobb AP

So I just got into the Evo game with a Cosmic Blue '14 GSR *woot woot* and Im looking at picking up the AEM CAI with some more mods in the near future. It will be an on and off DD and I'd eventually like to get to ~400hp. I've read through some threads about the Cobb set up and I'm convinced on getting it but, do I absolutely need it the moment I install the CAI? I've also been told by a friend that if I do decide to go Cobb that I'll have to get it tuned elsewhere since they won't (not sure how valid that statement is since he drives an STcry). Just need some insight or someone with the Cobb AP that can give direction. Thanks!

Cars
    04 tarmac black ssl
    dont get a cobb ap just get a custom tune why get a cobb app (one size fits all tune) vs a tune that is specific for your mods on your car for almost the same price?

Mr. Gangbang

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightevo04 View Post
    dont get a cobb ap just get a custom tune why get a cobb app (one size fits all tune) vs a tune that is specific for your mods on your car for almost the same price?
    I was leaning toward the Cobb since I thought it would be easy to go to them for a tune after new parts. But after being told I wouldn't be able to I thought I'd come here and ask around. Any recommended shops around the OC area?

Cars
    04 tarmac black ssl
    5150 does a lot of evo x tuning i heard good things about them and i think they are in the OC if not always make the drive its worth going to places like tuning tech, road race, and Looney tuning. You will always get different opinions for who to go to just ask around as much as you can and take your time. Collect all the parts first then do the tuning that way your not tuning and re tuning after.

as for cobb not tuning there own product seems kind of weird my friend with a subie says they do but not sure call them.

Mr. Gangbang

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightevo04 View Post
    5150 does a lot of evo x tuning i heard good things about them and i think they are in the OC if not always make the drive its worth going to places like tuning tech, road race, and Looney tuning. You will always get different opinions for who to go to just ask around as much as you can and take your time. Collect all the parts first then do the tuning that way your not tuning and re tuning after.

as for cobb not tuning there own product seems kind of weird my friend with a subie says they do but not sure call them.
    Alright cool. Thanks, I really appreciate it. The last thing I wanna do is have a car running shitty.

Cars
    2013 WW X MR Previous: 2004 VIII AS GSR SSL
    Cobb absolutely offers custom "Pro" tunes out of their shop in Huntington Beach. They stock a full list of Evo X specific upgrades and will tune based on your specific parts. They also offer their off the shelf AP.

Sounds like your friend has no clue what Cobb does.
    Welcome to this side of the barbed wire fence. I fight rich, powerful, criminal elements working in unison against the people...They call me a terrorist.

Mr. Gangbang

Quote Originally Posted by Eckolaker View Post
    Cobb absolutely offers custom "Pro" tunes out of their shop in Huntington Beach. They stock a full list of Evo X specific upgrades and will tune based on your specific parts. They also offer their off the shelf AP.

Sounds like your friend has no clue what Cobb does.
    lol I think he was a little upset that I bought an '14 Evo with 6 miles for about the same price he got his USED '05 Sti. But it did sound odd to me that they wouldn't tune a product that they offer.

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably be stopping by Cobb this weekend to chit chat.

Cars
    2013 Mercury GRAY EVO GSR
    COBB does custom tunes. AP good if you want to run multiple maps.

And no, you dont need to get the tune right after installing the intake.
    *~ IX*XXII*MMXIII ~*

COBB TUNED ON E85

Mr. Gangbang

Quote Originally Posted by Jsevooox View Post
    COBB does custom tunes. AP good if you want to run multiple maps.

And no, you dont need to get the tune right after installing the intake.
    Yeah, that's kind of why I was considering it, Being able to go from DD to AutoX to BoneStock.

As for installing an intake without a tune, do you know how much "leaner" it would be running? Obviously there would be a diff. but would it make the car run significantly "worse", for lack of a better term, as opposed to having it tuned for it?

Cars
    2013 Mercury GRAY EVO GSR
    People will have different opinions about it. I don't personally have the aem intake I have the injen. But if you're worried about running too lean/rich you could always put a drop in filter instead and hold off on the intake until you're ready to get tuned.
    *~ IX*XXII*MMXIII ~*

COBB TUNED ON E85

Cars
    2013 CB Evo X GSR
    There are a lot of great tuners. I got my custom tune at Cobb as well with my 13' Cosmic Blue X. We're lucky to have a lot of good tuners down here in SoCal. A lot of people have pride in their tuners and will stick with them till the end. So you'll hear a lot of opinions.
    Instagram: @jodytiongco

Mr. Gangbang

Quote Originally Posted by OherrOderr View Post
    There are a lot of great tuners. I got my custom tune at Cobb as well with my 13' Cosmic Blue X. We're lucky to have a lot of good tuners down here in SoCal. A lot of people have pride in their tuners and will stick with them till the end. So you'll hear a lot of opinions.
    Did you go with all Cobb parts or do you have different after market parts? I'm just looking at getting the Cobb as an interface and going with other A.M. parts

Cars
    2013 CB Evo X GSR
    Quote Originally Posted by Richwithnomoney View Post
    Did you go with all Cobb parts or do you have different after market parts? I'm just looking at getting the Cobb as an interface and going with other A.M. parts

I pretty much went Cobb everything except the bov.

Here's the thread:
    http://www.socalevo.net/threads/2256...ght=oherroderr

Cobb; downpipe, HFC, catback, intake, TiAL bov, custom protune, etc.

Mr. Gangbang

Quote Originally Posted by OherrOderr View Post
    I pretty much went Cobb everything except the bov.

Here's the thread:
    http://www.socalevo.net/threads/2256...ght=oherroderr

Cobb; downpipe, HFC, catback, intake, TiAL bov, custom protune, etc.
    Damn, you got some good gains. Is that with the Stage 2 or 3 set up?

Cars
    2013 CB Evo X GSR
    Quote Originally Posted by Richwithnomoney View Post
    Damn, you got some good gains. Is that with the Stage 2 or 3 set up?
    Stage 3 :)

But don't forget that the weather/temperature plays a factor on your numbers as well. And I know all the dyno's read differently… like a Mustang dyno vs a Dynojet, etc...

That's a nice color....Which dealership did you get your evo?

Experienced
    Cars
    EvoIX
    You could Run 🏃 intake with stage 1
    I have all cobb stage 3 love it still need a custom tune

Cars
    2013 CB Evo X GSR
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbee123 View Post
    That's a nice color....Which dealership did you get your evo?
    Thanks
    It's Cosmic Blue

Quote Originally Posted by LakerFan View Post
    You could Run  intake with stage 1
    I have all cobb stage 3 love it still need a custom tune
    John Hebelin (Idk how to spell his name) did my custom tune after my stage 3 install. No issues, and it's been almost 2 years now