Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best over the counter motor oil?

best over the counter motor oil?

Wanted to know what motor oil to use on a evo 9 with m2 cams and dual map tuned?
    my car has 125,708 miles
    something that i can get my hands on from pep boys or auto zone..
    any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
    Last edited by evo9mr-vader; 08-10-2014 at 07:07 AM.

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    Does the engine have the same mileage as the chassis? For over the counter oil that you can find almost anywhere I would recommend M1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic or Castrol Edge Platinum.

Sportback Evolution MR

Cars
    06 EB Evo IX GSR / 21 Type R
    Nothing wrong with Mobil 1 10w-30 from Walmart.

Cars
    Evo IX MR - 2G Eclipse GST -3G Eclipse (Sold)
    I'll pick brand penn. old question, but no one straigh answer. If you running E85, consider certification to ethenol fuel. evoempire has a good write ups about oil.

Cars
    ohh I didn't read about buying in autozone or pepboys... Go to oreilly or walmart and get royar purple :) 10W30. I'm not sure if you car needs now 20w50, but call your shop to see if you need to migrate to 20w50.

Team Knee Pads Baller Member evoempire's Avatar
    Regardless I always highly recommend an oil with the highest level of ZDDP content. Only downside is it will decrease the lifespan of a cat. Most OTC motor oils aren't that great. If you insist on a OTC oil I recommend mobil 1 full synthetic(honestly almost every otc full synthetic motor oil is the same). Due to regulations the chemical make ups are very close. If the engine has over 100k I would stick with a weight that has a broad range of viscosity. I only said mobil 1 specifically because it is what mitsu recommends from the factory but your car will not explode or lose performance if you chose to run Castrol full synthetic or any other OTC brand. I will say that you will not get the best protection you could be getting out of a non-OTC motor oil. That is my quick answer to this question.

Cars
    8 MR, 10 GSR, EG6, CRV
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoIX007 View Post
    Nothing wrong with Mobil 1 10w-30 from Walmart.
    Not anymore. Mobil One cheapened up and stopped putting phosphates in their oil. Boo!

I'm going strictly LiquiMoly or LubroMoly from here on out.
    *KTMotoring Tuned*

I was told by a tuning shop to use a oil that has zinc.. so i bought valvoline zr1 10-30

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    Does the engine have the same mileage as the chassis? For over the counter oil that you can find almost anywhere I would recommend M1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic or Castrol Edge Platinum.
    Yes same mileage as chassi

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2014 evo x
    Mobil 1 0-40w is a great oil and is inexpensive for a 5qt jug at walmart. Google 0-40w vs 5-30w extended performance

Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    Not anymore. Mobil One cheapened up and stopped putting phosphates in their oil. Boo!

I'm going strictly LiquiMoly or LubroMoly from here on out.
    I do agree that mobil 1 as a majority have watered down their oils so to say. However there are a few that do meet GF-5/SN ratings as well as having a decent amount of ZDDP.

Liquimoly is actually a very good oil as well. I have used it before with great results.
    Quote Originally Posted by evo9mr-vader View Post
    I was told by a tuning shop to use a oil that has zinc.. so i bought valvoline zr1 10-30
    Not sure if you know but ZDDP is the nomenclature that refers to zinc and phosphate in oil. IMHO I want at least 900ppm in a non ethanol car and at least 1000 in a ethanol car preferably more obviously. More importantly for ethanol users you want a oil that has GF-5/SN because of corrosion/rust due to higher acid content. And phase separation, due to the fact that unlike gasoline, alcohol and oil are immiscible.

Here are several popular synthetic oils that meet both API-SN/ILSAC GF-5 standards for E85 compatibility and contain at least 1000 ppm ZDDP. For those with an FP turbos or turbos that run dual bb I would stick with a oil that has at least 1200ppm ZDDP.

Mobil 1
    0w-40 (1000)
    5w-40 Turbo Diesel Truck (1130)
    10w-40 High Mileage (1000)
    Racing 4T 10w-40 (1200)
    5w-50 (1000)
    15w-50 (1200)

Amsoil
    All automotive oils are formulated for E85 compatibility.
    Z-Rod and Dominator series are formulated with elevated (1200+ ppm) ZDDP content.

Royal Purple
    Standard oils are API-SN licensed and compatible with E85.
    HPS series feature elevated ZDDP (1200+ ppm) and formulated to be compatible with E85.
    XPR series feature elevated ZDDP (1200+ ppm) and formulated to be compatible with E85 + exotic and corrosive fuels.

Valvoline
    VR1 features elevated ZDDP (1200 ppm), only 20w-50 grade API-SN licensed.

Undoubtedly there are others, but this should be helpful. The stats on these oils and its content have been verified within the last couple weeks. I am sure out of this list the OP and others can find a oil suitable for your needs and I believe most of these you can find OTC except of course the Amsoil stuff.

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    do you have any info on the M1 Extended Performance and Castrol EDGE Platinum? I read somewhere those are the only *true* synthetics compared to the regular M1 Synthetic and Castrol EDGE.

Sportback Evolution MR

Thank you for all the info

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    do you have any info on the M1 Extended Performance and Castrol EDGE Platinum? I read somewhere those are the only *true* synthetics compared to the regular M1 Synthetic and Castrol EDGE.
    M1 EP claimed to have about 1000ppm ZDDP content. However after oil analysis they averaged around 800-850 ppm. So still not too bad accounting for a statistical standard deviation of error it is still not too far away from the claims. The reason why its ability for extended life is because this oil is engineered with the following specifications which allow it to last: ILSAC GF-4, API SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF,SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF,SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF,SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF,ACEA,A1,B1,A5,B5,A1,B1,A5,B5,A1,B1. Which is a scientific fancy way of saying we put a lot of anti wear additives in it.

As for Castrol edge because it has recently abided by all API/SM regs it has to have no more than 800ppm ZDDP. Now again, let me remind you that the analysis they perform is sometimes different than the analysis that other oil analysis companies do. So sometimes the analysis comes back a bit different. Assuming they are within reg I would say it is still a safe oil in a car that does not require high amounts of ZDDP.

As for what is and isn't a synthetic oil is all up to interpretation. Because it comes down to the chemical makeup and all of that is dictated by the nomenclature it has. Since most of those oils are made up by man then they would be considered synthetic oil. However, just understand there are some properties that are derived from organic materials in which case can be interpreted by some as being not 100% synthetic. For example, a PAO is a polymer that is made by polymerizing a olefin(which is an organic). And a PAO is used to make up synthetic oils. So it really depends how you look at it... Again to each their own here.
    Quote Originally Posted by evo9mr-vader View Post
    Thank you for all the info
    You are welcome.

AMSoil is the way to go... it's worth finding a local distributor. Not to mention, their oil filters are one of the best you can purchase. The 5w-30 Signature series is all you need!

Cars
    WW IX MR, Honda Accord
    Valvoline VR1 synthetic or conventional, I've run both back and forth depending on which one they had in stock at the store. My motor/car has more miles and much harder miles than most of the garage queens and "daily drivers" on this forum. 25 track days or so, and almost 140k miles on the factory long block.
    KT Motoring'Robispec

Fast cars drag race, fast drivers road race.

Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Azian View Post
    Valvoline VR1 synthetic or conventional, I've run both back and forth depending on which one they had in stock at the store. My motor/car has more miles and much harder miles than most of the garage queens and "daily drivers" on this forum. 25 track days or so, and almost 140k miles on the factory long block.
    How often do you change your oil Azian?

Quote Originally Posted by Azian View Post
    And you have a cummins! You are good in my book!

Cars
    WW IX MR, Honda Accord
    Quote Originally Posted by evo_jfa View Post
    How often do you change your oil Azian?
    I was changing it so often that it came out new LOL I was changing my oil every 500-1,000 miles because I would drive it to the track, track it, drive home, drive it around here there during the week, change oil again, and do the next track event!!! But normally 3,000 miles or so if there's no tracking involved :)
    KT Motoring'Robispec

Cars
    WW IX MR, Honda Accord
    Quote Originally Posted by evoempire View Post
    And you have a cummins! You are good in my book!
    KT Motoring'Robispec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast