Thread: Crack on windshield

Cars
    '14 Evo X MR, '06 TSX, '99 Prelude

Crack on windshield

So on my drive from LA to San Diego a rock/pebble smacked my windshield. The crack is no longer than a quarter inch, and I was thinking I should get it fixed as quickly as possible before the line decides to spread. I was thinking of using Safelite to fill in the crack, any suggestions? Any good glass shops in SD? I noticed online that safelite doesn't have a option for a evo lol.

Experienced
    Cars
    2005 Evolution
    Safelite ftw
    , Massimo Power

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    safelite should have one for the regular lancer. its the same for the Evo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sportback Evolution MR

Team Knee Pads Baller Member evoempire's Avatar
    Not sure if this is true, but I heard the only difference between the evo and lancers windshields are that the evo is thinner than the regular lancer.

Cars
    2013 WW X MR Previous: 2004 VIII AS GSR SSL
    I had Safelite repair a crack about two weeks ago.
    Welcome to this side of the barbed wire fence. I fight rich, powerful, criminal elements working in unison against the people...They call me a terrorist.

Experienced
    Cars
    1979 Jeep CJ7(Restoration project), EB Evo VIII(Sold), EB Evo IX
    That happened to mine on the way to MOD 2 years ago, i parked under the sun there i came back the crack spread to half my windshield. It always looks cleaner to get a new one.
    I got one for $110 installed at my house i believe, its a lancer one its a little bit thicker. Just look for a local place that has lancer windshields and your set

Instagram: evo_alex

Check your auto insurance policy, just in case you have a $0 glass deductible.

Cars
    I have State Farm, my policy doesn't have $0 deductible for glass. Anyhow, I got the crack filled at a local shop. After I got home, I did a more thorough inspection and found pits on another part of my windshield. Now I am getting all OCD over this lol.

Cars
    Well the chip repair failed and now I have a 2 foot crack...only lasted for a week. I'm guessing the heatwave of the past 2 days cause the crack to relapse and fracture.

Now I am looking for a good glass shop to get my window replaced. Is the base lancer and X glass the same? I heard the lancer one is thicker and won't sit as flush. I visited this one place where they wouldn't use anything other then OEM for my car.......OEM glass is over $800. They have a the standard Lancer glass but he doesn't want to risk installing that. Safelite costs $298 but it doesn't have a Evo option.

Anyone with glass experience with the X? Any recommended shops in so-cal?

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    I compared my Sportback and MR's windshield and they look absolutely the same to me. You should be fine with a regular lancer windshield.

Sportback Evolution MR

Mine cracked really bad due to the heat wave ass well. I found a mobile shop that can fill in crack and guarantee their work.

Team Knee Pads Baller Member evoempire's Avatar
    Usually if the crack is longer than a dollar bill then it should be replaced instead of repaired. I have used safelite in the past with excellent results. If they do not have a aftermarket windshield then buy oem and go through insurance assuming the deductible is less than 800.

I would not skimp on something that provides safety for you and your passengers. I think you can find a more inexpensive deal though. Regardless it needs to be replaced ASAP.

Cars
    2013 Evo X, 2009 CBR600RR
    Oem windshields r expensive, i got mine replaced as warranty 2 months after i bought my evo and if im not mistaken the bill was about 1200
    LoOnEy TuNeD
    Instagram @600rrevox

Got my windshield replaced 160 with tax mobile service

Cars
    I ended up installing an AP Technoglass windshield for $295 installed. I have not found aftermarket evo glass, only regular lancer glass exists. The lancer glass does sit about 2-3 mm taller, so it isn't completely flush where the window molding meets the roof-line. My new window now has a blue band of tint across the top, the oem glass doesn't have this. I have no idea where some of you guys find deals under $200.

AGC Automotive (formerly known as AP tech) makes the oem glass, apparently if you slap the Mitsubishi logo on it raises it's value by 400% lol. The other windshield brands I found was Pilkington and cheap Chinese window brand.