Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes in Private and Member Classifieds Permissions

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution

Changes in Private and Member Classifieds Permissions

As some of you know, in recent times SoCalEvo.net has been inundated with members who simply join just to peddle and sell parts for their cars, never really bothering to become a contributing member of the community. This has been brought to the SoCalEvo.net team's attention on more than a few occasions since the change to the new Forum, and we have been working to correctly restrict these new users without affecting those who have been valued members of the community.

So starting today, the Private and Member Classifieds has now been reset with new restrictions specifically designed to cut down on new users who simply post for parts and spam the Forum. New users will not be able to post FS or WTB threads until their post count hits 150 posts.

The filter will take effect today and those of you who have more than 150 posts should still see the entire SoCalEvo.net Forum just fine. The new users will still see the rest of the Forum like the regular members, only with the Private and Member Classifieds restrictions.

Now if any of you have more than 150 posts and cannot see the Private and Member Classifieds, please PM me.

Thank you.

EDIT:

The script used will switch over your user's permissions at least an hour after you log in again. For example, since the change was done today, if you have just logged on, even if you have more than 150 post counts, the script may or may not immediately carry your user over to the right permissions.

So what you can do is just remain logged in for at least an hour, log off (not just close out the browser), and make sure all the cookies are cleared. Clear out your browser temp files and the cookies manually as well, then log in. The same goes for those users that have less than 150 posts but have been members for over a year. That is the solution that I sent to the users that PM me that fall in either category (member for over a year or have more than 150 posts).

After doing so, the script should pick you up and put you in the right category.

If you do not meet those two criteria (either been a member over a year or less than 150 posts), the only way for you to get access is to be an active user and get enough posts to meet the requirements.

Sportback Evolution MR

Team Knee Pads Baller Member evoempire's Avatar
    Thanks Macky for continuing to make this a better place. I appreciate the work you do. Also trying to keep spam out as well. Lets just hope these new members don't just spam the forum with 150 posts lmao

Cars
    06 EB Evo IX GSR / 21 Type R
    Sweetness!!! That's great news. Hopefully by 150 posts, they'll also know to post pics in the thread. haha.

Cars
    Evo IX MR - 2G Eclipse GST -3G Eclipse (Sold)
    thanks Macky. 150 is going to limit a lot the sales section. But I think it reflect the main goal of the forum, which is keep the conversation open for tech, track and funny topics. I hope new members join the forum to interact and not just for sale parts.

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    we have been asked about these new users just signing up to post and buy stuff, not really contributing to the forum. its like the place is being treated as a free craigslist site. that is not what this site is for.

Sportback Evolution MR

^I agree! :)

Yeah, this is a growing pain that any forum has to deal with. It's actually a good sign in that we are growing in popularity (even if it is just google's page rank) and that more people are finding out about the site.
    '03 BBY VIII GSR (The Blue Bomber) Corn Fed + some
    '10 WW X MR (Her car) "RRE Super Stock"

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    04 evo viii
    Quote Originally Posted by evo_jfa View Post
    thanks Macky. 150 is going to limit a lot the sales section. But I think it reflect the main goal of the forum, which is keep the conversation open for tech, track and funny topics. I hope new members join the forum to interact and not just for sale parts.
    I haven't been an active poster on the site but I have been a member for many years. I normally just read the forums and been to a couple of the meets but I do not login. I recently wanted to post a wtb, and had to make a new account since I dont remember which of my 10000 email addresses I used to sign up back in the day. I don't think that I could ever reach 150 as I have only posted anything on any of the evo forums maybe 3 or 4 times since I got my evo in 04 since. I am no expert on evos so I feel a lot of times I should not chime in on a discussion I know little about. I am more of the guy in the back taking notes and listening in on conversations. Unfortunately, I will have to use one of my friends accounts to post in the wtb forums until my posts reach 150. Kind of sucks but I understand the reasoning. Post 2/150.

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    if you know your old username I can look it up and maybe see if it has more posts. it does suck, but it is the norm that most (if not all) forums have to weed out people that just join to sell stuff.

you still can see the rest of the forum. I know that may be of little consolation if you are not an active user, but try and make it to the meets so you can interact with some of the members. once you get some discussion going on, you will find more things to talk about on the forum.

like knee pads. some members here LOVE knee pads.

Sportback Evolution MR

Cars
    evo8
    Dang I gotta work my way up now!
    Oh well its for the best :)

Hey macky is this also taking effect on our PM's? Cuase I'm not able to send any!

It may also be beneficial to add a time requirement as well so you don't have people post whoring to rapidly hit the 150 post mark. A few other forums that I have seen do this implement a 6 month/100 post minimum to help combat this problem.
    RS STwhy? four doors, two seats, 23 psi of boost...

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    oh if they post whore the heck out they will get some time out. its built in to the filter.

Sportback Evolution MR

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    if you know your old username I can look it up and maybe see if it has more posts. it does suck, but it is the norm that most (if not all) forums have to weed out people that just join to sell stuff.

you still can see the rest of the forum. I know that may be of little consolation if you are not an active user, but try and make it to the meets so you can interact with some of the members. once you get some discussion going on, you will find more things to talk about on the forum.

like knee pads. some members here LOVE knee pads.
    Safety is paramount! Do NOT forget your knee pads!

So I've been here since 2007, posted maybe 3 times if even that and purchased countless items from fellow sce members. Now a change of policy prohibits me from viewing for sale ads? How about just precluding posting of for sale ads if you don't meet certain post count thresholds rather than killing off buyers who otherwise don't have much to say?

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    Quote Originally Posted by pepe le pew View Post
    So I've been here since 2007, posted maybe 3 times if even that and purchased countless items from fellow sce members. Now a change of policy prohibits me from viewing for sale ads? How about just precluding posting of for sale ads if you don't meet certain post count thresholds rather than killing off buyers who otherwise don't have much to say?
    that's understandable.

unfortunately the post count threshold cant accommodate the join date. believe me, we tried and it took this long to get a permission script to work. but it is something that we can look at and modify the script.

the goal is to reduce the FS spamming. everything else we can work on along the way.

Sportback Evolution MR

Cars
    '13 Evo X GSR, '08 Evo X MR (previous)
    Quote Originally Posted by pepe le pew View Post
    ^What he said. I've been a member for over 4 years, owned 2 Evo X's, met a lot of good people selling and buying parts from the site. I use the site to get info on my car but simply don't have the free time to get involved in the discussions. Now the next time I need to buy tires or an OEM part, I can't even view the classifieds because somebody invented a number that is 5X what I've been able to post in those 4 years?? Seems unfair to the sellers too. How about 150 posts or 1 year of membership just to weed out the people that want nothing more than to join to sell their crap?

I am not sure how the forum works as far as that is concerned. I am not sure if they set a post limit that you can still view the fs adds. As stated before this is just a precaution to this forum. We personally would feel a bit better and have a warm fuzzy feeling if we kind of knew who you were as a buyer/seller. This not only helps decrease useless post whoring and bumping yrs old threads. But also helps mitigate any shady practices going on. Not that you would do such a thing, and considering you have been here since 07 I would think you are here not just to hawk parts. Of course there will always be exceptions to the rule; you probably being one of them. But if this is an issue like you said if you know someone here then they can sale it for you. Is it a inconvenience? Yea probably, but hopefully you will understand why this is happening and roll with the changes. And who knows maybe you can become active as well.

Experienced
    Cars
    Evo IX GSR
    I think maybe it should be alittle lower of posts to sell things because I been on the forums for about a year and a half but hardly have posts because I read things but don't respond or someone has already said the idea or whatever I was gonna say
    IG: Lorenzo_Feal

Maybe we could work something out for those users that aren't at the 150 post count yet? #kneepads xD

Cars
    Evo IX MR - 2G Eclipse GST -3G Eclipse (Sold)
    At least +1 on the thing about PM and allow read only mode into the sales/wtb section. If we are the same posting, maybe casual sellers may have a very limited audience. I think some provided a good feedback and once we understand everybody concerns, we may find a common ground.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast