Thread: Noob at datalogging that needs some help

Cars
    2014 Evo x, 2002 BMW x5 4.4L

Noob at datalogging that needs some help

Question guys, when it comes to monitoring your car via data logs, how much knock can your car have on the safe side? And are knocks only at high WOT rpms? I was told one to two if fine but I'm kinda sketched out. I dataloged my car and apparently my car had two knocks at WOT but when cruising its fine. I was going to go out and do another pull and see if it happens again. My car at wot has two knocks. Is that safe? Sorry if i sound like a noob lol kinda new to this stuff

SoCalEvo.net Shop

The knock count is kind of like alarm bells. The ECU starts to do something about it after a 3 count. You seeing a 1 or 2 randomly and occasionally is normal. Stock cars do that. If a 3 count (or more) is consistent and at the same RPM, then you would want to get it checked out. Add a little fuel right there or see if pulling one degree of timing fixes it. If your car is tuned, your tuner would have all the answers and solutions for you.

Mike W

Cars
    Thanks alot for the reply Mike, The knock only happens at mid to high rpms at around 14psi. It hasn't hit 3 yet but i was just skeptical because the tune is stage 1 map on Cobb AP. Planning to get a protune soon tho!

SoCalEvo.net Shop

The Cobb base maps are usually super safe if you have the right map for the right parts.

Mike W

Cars
    Hey Mike, So its been a while since i have put my stuff on and on occasion i sometimes get a knocksum count of 3.... should i worry about it? Thank you in advance!

SoCalEvo.net Shop

Concerned yes. Panic or worry not so much. Random and occasional knock is typical. If it is consistent at the same load and RPM through and into different tank of gas, get a datalog to someone that knows how to read one and can also do something about it.

Mike W