Thread: Need opinions!

Cars
    2013 CB Evo X GSR

Need opinions!

Sup guys,

Sooooooo… My clutch has been slipping and it's time for a new clutch… It started slipping about a month ago.

Mini story incase you're wondering why I need one already:
    When I first got my Evo I was an idiot and drove it like it was a pos crx… I was launching it, brake boosting (never again), canyon running, etc. I put in almost 9k miles in a matter of weeks. Took the car to Big Bear, Mt High, Vegas, etc… Then decided to let the car chill. Started driving her conservatively, but then a few months ago my gf bought me a GoPro and of course I had to make some vids. So for months I was making little GoPro vids driving the shit out of my car again, and now the clutch is slipping… fak.

Now, the debate. My Evo is currently my only car. I've had the car for 15 months now and as of this morning (8/26) my car hit 37,898 when I pulled into work. Should I get a new clutch and continue driving my car, OR should I get a daily?

Reason for high mileage:
    I work for a media and publishing company in Orange County. We have magazines and newspapers across the country, but I manage the photos from San Diego to LA. So everyday I go into our office in OC and then I might drive to San Diego for a meeting or photo shoot, or LA…
    I live in OC and my parents, brother, and gf live in San Diego. So I do a lot of driving everyday. Right now I'm at our office in Laguna Beach, but this afternoon I have a meeting in Costa Mesa at 3pm and then I have a photo shoot down in Dana Point at 5pm. And then tonight I'm going down to San Diego for $2 Tuesday for some drinks and tacos with my friends and this is just today. So I'll be racking up roughly 200 miles today.

If I get a daily my price range is around $2k-$3k since it's just gonna be used for this kind of driving. Or spend the $1,500 on a new clutch. I've been lurking on auto trader and craigslist and I've found miatas, civics, dc2's, da's, sc400's, s14's, etc. around my price range. They're usually either salvaged, or mismatched painted panels, dented fenders, etc. but they're still in good working condition.

What do you guys think?

My big dilemma is the possibility of getting one of these pos daily cars and running into mechanical issues down the road which could lead to repairs that I could've just done on the Evo blehhhh, fak! idk!

Thanks!
    -Jody
    Last edited by OherrOderr; 08-26-2014 at 11:02 AM.
    Instagram: @jodytiongco

SoCalEvo.net Shop

Either way you need a clutch, no? And an upgraded clutch will last longer than the stocker did. Especially if you don"t launch the car. A daily beater will also require maintenance. But if it is a cheaper simpler car, it would be cheaper. Especially if you can diagnose and change things like a water pump, thermostat, axles, brakes, alternator yourself. A stock clutch for a beater could be less than $200 to buy the parts and then more of a DIY install. But factor in the possibility of getting stranded and also safety. EVOs are built like tanks.

Mike W

Experienced
    Cars
    Evo 9, supra, 350z
    I've had this same dilemma in the past. You have to ask yourself, if you bought a 2,000 car, how long do you think it'll last? How dependable realistically? I would replace clutch. Save up some money and buy yourself a beater. Just one that you can feel comfortable driving without it being run down

Cars
    evo8
    buy yourself a good STOCK honda maybe like a civic, not a riced out one or one that was beaten... thats a good reliable car you wont have issues

Cars
    EVO X MR
    Either way clutch needs to be replaced. I got a beater, but I don't drive out of town at all, I'd be concerned with the daily if I had to drive half the distance that you drive lol + just fix it then trade for a prius

a good evo shop can swap your clutch in hours.... If you can get one day off and get a new clutch do that. a $2k daily will end up costing more after repairs/insurance etc.

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    If it needs a clutch, it needs a clutch. I'd say that's the first priority. Keep that car going.

Down the road, maybe a second car is still a good idea. Here are a few questions i'd consider.

Hows the situation for adding this second car? I'm thinking along the lines of, what is your parking situation gonna be like for the Evo while you're not using it? Street parking where its gonna get pooped, sprinkler-ed on etc and potentially fucked with? Street sweeping where you are gonna have to move the cars around, usually at a time thats most inconvenient for you?

How much less are you going to enjoy all this driving that you do, when its not going to be in an Evo? What will it take to fill that void? I have been doing the two car thing for about 7 years. Everytime my project car was down and i had some mundane daily, i'd start getting the itch. I found that for how much driving i was doing, it was really important that i enjoyed my time in the car. So my daily had to be enjoyable as well. I think that can be accomplished on the cheap, but it is something to keep in mind.

What are your future plans for the Evo? Will a second car be mandatory in the forseeable future, like if you plan to mod the Evo within an inch of "streetable"?

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    Jody,

Get the clutch done first. unless you're next door to a dealer selling you the car you need as a daily, the Evo is still your primary method of transportation.

second, with the amount of miles you drive, im surprised you don't have a bike or daily driver. I thought my daily driver had it bad for the miles I have on it, but it looks like you've caught up to me six months faster.

MikeW is right about the Evos being built like a tank, so your next best thing really would get a Lancer beater (if funds permit) a Mirage or something along those lines. the current Lancer body is more reinforced simply because it was based off the Evo rather than the other way around (Evo was a reinforced Lancer body). with the amount of miles you put in, a lease would not be a good idea. but a new or at the very least extremely reliable car should be your major criteria for the daily driver.

good luck!

Sportback Evolution MR

Cars
    2003 Evo 8, 2014 Charger AWD (family car), 1997 Mustang Cobra SVT (DD), 1998 Mustang Cobra SVT Vortech Supercharger (Weekend Drag car)
    I agree with the other posts... Most importantly fix the evo first and continue using it until u can save up a little more $ for a decent/reliable DD. Makes no sense spending/wasting your 2k on a beater if it's gonna break down in a week, because then you'll be shit outta luck with 2 broke down cars n no extra cash to fix either. Just my 2¢. Either way GL brotha.
    Wtb Evo 8/9 Oem Tb hood
    Wtb AUTHENTIC! TB Jdm rear bumper

Cars
    R.I.P WW EVO 9 RS
    This is my input. First off, if your gonna drive your Evo hard all the time like launch it an etc. THEN START SAVING FOR A CLUTCH RIGHT AT THAT MOMENT LOL. An we all been there, an I know cuz I did the same, it's a Evo not a civic an we have to enjoy the car not baby it. But be ready to cough up the money. Like me I keep my eye open all the time on here or evom an see when someone is selling a clutch for a great price. Even just the disk or pressure plate, cu I know I'm gonna need it an always need it. At one point I had three sets of clutch ready to put in just in case or if an friend needed one I'll hook them up then full price. Just from here on out just be ready so you won't be in this situation.

But for your question. I say, if you have the 3k for a dd then get it. Of you have to save first, then go striaght to a shop or whatever to buy a clutch cuz your clutch is not gonna last not that much longer the way your driving it. Your just asking for trouble just riding it out. So hop in a dd ASAP or go buy a clutch ASAP !! Good luck bro.

Cars
    2013 CB Evo X GSR
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the help and info. You guys are right, I should probably fix the Evo first, and then get a daily. I was originally thinking the other way around and getting a daily, and letting the Evo relax for awhile and then fixing it.

But those are some valid points… it was suck to have two downed cars...

Maybe one day I'll get my promotion and I'll have a GSR, MR, and a sport back… like this one baller I know, cough* cough*
    Instagram: @jodytiongco

Cars
    R.I.P WW EVO 9 RS
    Quote Originally Posted by OherrOderr View Post
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the help and info. You guys are right, I should probably fix the Evo first, and then get a daily. I was originally thinking the other way around and getting a daily, and letting the Evo relax for awhile and then fixing it.

But those are some valid points… it was suck to have two downed cars...

Maybe one day I'll get my promotion and I'll have a GSR, MR, and a sport back… like this one baller I know, cough* cough*
    You don't have to cough ! Just say it, MACKY !! With his pretty much brand new mr and sport back.

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Evolution X
    Just get the car fixed. Been there and done that with stupid beater cars. Left me stranded and numerous repairs.

Mr. Gangbang

Just fix the Evo.

I have a "daily" that I'm supposed to be driving but I havent driven it at all since I got the Evo lol Definitely agree with Apex Hunter on the being happy about driving. I don't drive nearly as much as you do but like I said, after buying the Evo I won't step foot in my Camry. It's not a beater at all, 2009 loaded, but its just not the same. Just upgrade your clutch and go easy on 'er lol