Thread: Hi RRE, I need help, my car dies every stop or clutch in....

Hi RRE, I need help, my car dies every stop or clutch in....

Hi Mike, this is Jimmy and I have Evo 8, I did a complete clutch job from you guys on Dec 2013, mileage at that time was 111948, now ODO read is 112979, yes a little over 1K because I drive it maybe only once a week, everything was fine until yesterday, the idle dropped to 0 and my car dies on every stop or on every clutch in, it dies, it was very dangerous when I making a right turn and switch to second gear, it dies and wheel locked so my car go straight to opposite link, lucky no car there and I started it right away and have it keep on gear.....do you have any ideas? i checked on the hosts and IC pipes and they are all secured in place, is it the spark plug or starter? I have Apexi catback (Model 159-KM04) installed by you guys at the same time for the clutch job, and after that the only mod was the Apexi power instake, but after the intake, car runs great without issue until yesterday

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    Hi there, for fastest response, check this out:
    http://www.socalevo.net/threads/1419...ce-Engineering

Canyon Racer
    Cars
    GG VIII MR, WW MR-T
    call them. Left message, they'll call you back. It worked for me. Do you have dual maps (i.e. 91/e85)?

SoCalEvo.net Shop

Not a lot to do over the internet. Stop by the shop M-F between noon and 6pm. Earlier or later would need to be by appointment.

15-20 min in the parking lot is always free. The first thing to do would be to turn the idle speed screw up a little. On 10 year old cars the idle speed motor tends to get tired though.

http://www.socalevo.net/tags.php?tag=idle+screw

Mike W

Thanks Mike, to idle up, clockwise or counter-clockwise? I try to adjust the screw at least it won't die then I can drive to you, otherwise AAA is the only way. By the way, no Saturday appointment?

Quote Originally Posted by G20 View Post
    call them. Left message, they'll call you back. It worked for me. Do you have dual maps (i.e. 91/e85)?
    what is dual maps? 91/e85? thanks

SoCalEvo.net Shop

Counter clockwise is higher idle.

Saturdays are typically races and events. This Saturday is Formula D in Irwindale for example.

Mike W

Canyon Racer
    Cars
    GG VIII MR, WW MR-T
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy147 View Post
    what is dual maps? 91/e85? thanks
    I just tried to see if it's related to one of my experience having the car in a similar situation and found out later the dealer reset my battery hence the map automatically default to 91 map when the car is on e85. It's probably not your case since you asked. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by G20 View Post
    I just tried to see if it's related to one of my experience having the car in a similar situation and found out later the dealer reset my battery hence the map automatically default to 91 map when the car is on e85. It's probably not your case since you asked. Thanks.
    i also reset the battery but still doing the same....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
    Counter clockwise is higher idle.

Saturdays are typically races and events. This Saturday is Formula D in Irwindale for example.

Mike W
    Hi Mike, I try to increase the idle and call to make a late appointment (work at Torrance) during the weekday to have you guys take a look, thanks

SoCalEvo.net Shop

Since the idle is low, and there is a screw that can set the base idle speed, try that first maybe.

Mike W

Hi Mike, is it possible related to recent clutch work? because the clutch still smell, thanks

SoCalEvo.net Shop

It is really hard to tell from over the internet. Normally there isn't any idle control functions in the clutch.

Mike W

SoCalEvo.net Shop

So... did you turn the screw? Stop by the shop? Did it fix its self?

Mike W

Quote Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
    So... did you turn the screw? Stop by the shop? Did it fix its self?

Mike W
    Hello Mike, no I didn't try the screw yet pretty bust these days, so how many turns you recommend? the situation now is when the car is idle, it stays around 1K or little bit below 1k, so it's normal correct? but when I stop at light or every clutch in to shift gear, the idle stall and car dies, and also sometimes when car started, idle reach to bottom line (feel like almost die) about 1-2 seconds then it will go up to normal around 1K, so I will need to adjust the idle at around 1.5k or even higher to prevent the issue? I 100% want to stop by but I make sure I can reach you safe, thank you.

SoCalEvo.net Shop

Please try turning the screw counter clockwise. I and others have written extensively on how all the idle speed control stuff works if you want to google it up. It is also in the ink above with threads tagged "idle". Either take the time to try turning the screw a little and see if it helps, or tow it.

Mike W

Thanks, I will try out this weekend to see......see you soon