Thread: Serious timing belt question...

Serious timing belt question...

I had my first timing belt replaced at almost exactly 60k but now I have 120k and I don't have the $ to have it replaced again as I know it needs the tensioner and water pump this time which I've been advised could run up to $1000. How far past 120k am I safe going before I absolutely have to have it replaced? I know this may be a dumb question because of when Mitsu says to replace it but I don't have the $ and with other bills i'd rather not apply for a loan.

FYI: I only have relatively mild mods on my car and I drive around 10-12k miles a year and I don't launch/drive the car hard at all. I'm at 120,xxx miles and still on my original clutch and no signs of slippage although I get some chatter occasionally and I do hear what I think is throwout bearing noise but overall it seems to drive fine.

Thanks in advance for serious answers.
    04 GSR BPU++

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Evo IX, 91 eclipse gsx, and other commuters...
    There is no way of saying how long it will be safe to drive it on the current tbelt. If you are still on the original tensioner, then I would suggest to replace it as soon as possible. If you have a CC put it on that for now and pay it off when you get a chance.

Cars
    2006 Evo IX SE / 2010 Civic DX
    IF the timing belt fails it can be catastrophic..i would do it ASAP.

Like Pwrdby4g63 said, apply for a CC.

- This is why every paycheck I put money away in a separate car account

zeRep
    cl_modifications 0

I got a quote from Pep Boys for a little under $700 including the water pump, tensioner, balance shaft belt and timing belt. What do you guys think of them working on our Evos?
    04 GSR BPU++

Cars
    Hmmm most will say stay away.

Maybe let us know what general area you live in...we can recommend a few EVO SPECIALTY Shops.

For instance;
    Massimo Power does GREAT work and @ GREAT prices. They are located in Corona, CA.
    Only CON is they are pretty booked for about 2 weeks.

zeRep
    cl_modifications 0

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Evo IX, 91 eclipse gsx, and other commuters...
    NO!!!! Where do you live? If you can not do it yourself hit up road race, massimo, tuning technologies or kt...My brother worked at Pep Boys for years and there are a lot of hacks there. I know there are some good techs there but too little good ones there to compensate for the knuckle heads. Good luck to you.

Cars
    06 EB Evo IX GSR / 21 Type R
    I wouldn't trust any mechanic who doesn't specialize in Evos to work on my car. Cutting corners will cost you more money in the long run. As previous posts state, go to an evo shop to get the work done. Even though you're at the 120k mark and don't drive the car hard, keep in mind the age of the belt. The longer you go without, the more you risk it failing and causing serious damage to your motor.

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    EVO IX GSR WW
    Mitsubishiparts.net has very good price on a Kit.

Cars
    Evo IX MR - 2G Eclipse GST -3G Eclipse (Sold)
    Look at extremepsi for a kit. Oem buddy.. No need to get Kevlar Timing belt now. Water pump should be a must. Other you may need to pay for labor later on again

Cars
    WW IX MR, Honda Accord
    If your car stays in the garage most of the time you can probably put it off a tad bit longer due to it being exposed to the elements less, but I still recommend doing it ASAP. I did my 60k at 65k I believe, and my car is currently sitting at 137k on that same belt. I replaced the serpentine belt, timing belt, balance shaft belt, and timing belt tensioner with OEM Mitsubishi components when I did it though. I also used to track the living piss out of my car, but when she wasn't being used she was sitting in my garage away from the elements.
    KT Motoring'Robispec

Fast cars drag race, fast drivers road race.

It gets parked outside and driven daily. I live in orange county. I'm not going to put it off long. I just want to know if I can wait 5k miles more max. Probably more like 2k miles. Then I'd have enough money to pay the dealer to do it right with all the oem parts. I never track/launch/drag/canyon run/freeway pull/etc. the car since it is the only car I have.
    04 GSR BPU++

Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexEvo View Post
    It gets parked outside and driven daily. I live in orange county. I'm not going to put it off long. I just want to know if I can wait 5k miles more max. Probably more like 2k miles. Then I'd have enough money to pay the dealer to do it right with all the oem parts. I never track/launch/drag/canyon run/freeway pull/etc. the car since it is the only car I have.
    No one will be able to give you a definite answer.

But as you can see...everyone recommends changing it ASAP.

zeRep
    cl_modifications 0

Cars
    Your best shoot is:
    1.- Remove time belt cover and check the belt. Verify if it's not loose or cracked or belt dry.
    2.- If you have money for serpentine belts, replace those, so take a chance to remove the serpentine belt and remove the crank pulley and remove the other cover. check balancer belt (verify condition)
    3.- If the all belts looks ok, then you can have a better information to keep running the car or not.

There are guys driving the car for more than 120 without problem,but it always a risk. If you don't want to loose, don't play the game.... if you wanna win.. Let take a shot

Cars
    WW IX MR, Honda Accord
    I'm sure you can make it 5k more miles, or quite possibly even more than that bud
    KT Motoring'Robispec

Fast cars drag race, fast drivers road race.

Update, I ended up just getting it done sooner rather than later. Im sure it would have been fine but no sense taking a chance.
    04 GSR BPU++

Cars
    Like 10 months ago brotha. Good to know it still not too late for the 120k service