Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st gear VERY HARD to engage only when completely stopped

Not So Newbie
    Rowland Heights, California, United States
    Cars
    2014 EVO X, 2014 Q5

1st gear VERY HARD to engage only when completely stopped

Hey, guys,
    I am experiencing this problem( stated in title ) recently.

I have TWM full replacement and all the bushings done. The car shifts very nicely when it is in motion. Slow or fast, warm or cool, when it is moving anything above 0 mph, I can shift into any gear very easily.

However, when I am at traffic light or stop sign, I am having trouble to engage 1st gear . It feels like something is blocking. I never remember having any success shifting into 1st gear without a fight.

My current solution is:
    1. shift to 5, then 3, then 1 or shift to 4, then 3, and then 1. it will go in smoothly this way.
    2. I just put it in 1st gear at rolling speed and clutch in at traffic light.

But this can be very annoying as my 1st solution doesn't work all the time, it is common for me to try it a couple times. I don't want to use my second solution either as I heard it increase the wear on throw out bearing.

Also, I think it could be related to this. I feel like sometimes, when the car is in gears, the gear lever is extremely sticky, and you really have to use some force to put it to neutral. This seems to happen quite frequently recently cuz the temperature has been around 65F lately.

Is the problem I am experiencing normal on our car? I remember I had this problem last winter as well, but I just got my car back then, so I thought it may just need more miles. I don't think shifting in this car was PITA in the past summer though. Could ambient temperature affect how the car shifts? I mean even in winter, LA is still a "warm" place in my book.

I am getting drive train fluid changed next week at RRE.
    I am hoping to get insights before I go in, maybe I can let them diagnose it too.
    Thanks for you guys help in advance.

Have u check your clutch engagement.
    http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/15117/normal_DSCN2557.JPG
    http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/15117/normal_DSCN2556.JPG

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2014 EVO X, 2014 Q5
    I did a clutch drag test with the methods mentioned on Jack transmission site and it seems fine to me.
    I do feel a bang when I shift to 1st occasionally and car moves forward a tiny bit at the same time, probably less than 5 times in the past year.
    But it doesn't happen all the time.

SoCalEvo.net Shop

If fluid is the problem, then changing the fluid to Redline MT-85 (what we use) should fix it.

But it sounds like the problem surfaced after installing a short shifter? Short shifters sound fine in catalog listing descriptions and forum signature mod lists, but in real life on EVOs usually they dont work so well. You lose a lot of feel, increase the effort to get the transmission into gear, it tends to help try to force things that dont want to happen.

One thing to try on your own or have us do at the shop would be to put the car in the problem gear, and then loosen everything to do with the cables and shifter mounting and give it a wiggle and shuffle and then retighten it all. That will tell you if you got the install off somehow. Theoretically you could have all the play in every part of everything all pushed one way to where just 1st gear would be a problem.

Also work with who ever sold you the short shifter and also the manufacturer of the short shifter towards a solution. They should be the first line of clear info since they make and sell the product.

Mike W

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2014 EVO X, 2014 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
    If fluid is the problem, then changing the fluid to Redline MT-85 (what we use) should fix it.

But it sounds like the problem surfaced after installing a short shifter? Short shifters sound fine in catalog listing descriptions and forum signature mod lists, but in real life on EVOs usually they dont work so well. You lose a lot of feel, increase the effort to get the transmission into gear, it tends to help try to force things that dont want to happen.

One thing to try on your own or have us do at the shop would be to put the car in the problem gear, and then loosen everything to do with the cables and shifter mounting and give it a wiggle and shuffle and then retighten it all. That will tell you if you got the install off somehow. Theoretically you could have all the play in every part of everything all pushed one way to where just 1st gear would be a problem.

Also work with who ever sold you the short shifter and also the manufacturer of the short shifter towards a solution. They should be the first line of clear info since they make and sell the product.

Mike W
    Thanks Mike!
    Ya, maybe the installation was off.
    My appointment with you guys is tomorrow at 11am.
    Could you take a look at this issue for me please?
    Maybe it is "Normal". This is my first EVO so I dont know what it is supposed to be like.

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2014 EVO X, 2014 Q5
    Thanks RRE!
    After getting my drivetrain fluid changed at RRE.
    Everything drives like new, actually it is probably better than new.
    I haven't been able to engage 1st gear this smooth for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike W View Post

Mike W

Experienced
    Cars
    1995 Ford Probe GT, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6, 2013 GSR
    So what turned out to be the problem? Just a fluid change or did some parts need readjusting?
    RRE Tuned (bolt ons, flex fuel), West End Alignment (KW v3 coils)

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2014 EVO X, 2014 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by nechronius View Post
    So what turned out to be the problem? Just a fluid change or did some parts need readjusting?
    Nothing was wrong, just fluid problem I think.

RRE told me my car shifts fine.
    I let my technician sit in the car and play with it a bit.
    He told me it is what Mitsubishi trans is and if it gets worse, come back. But he didn't think anything is wrong.

I think RRE uses redline MT85 as a default trans fluid and it definitely did the trick on my car.

1st gear is much much better now, the rest gears shift very well too.

Cars
    evo8
    how much was the fluid change if you dont mind telling?

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2014 EVO X, 2014 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by EdiREvo8 View Post
    how much was the fluid change if you dont mind telling?
    I did all the drivetrain fluid( trans, TC, rear dif ) and it was 171 OTD.
    Not sure what exact service you wanna do, but contact them for a quote.

Cars
    evo8
    Quote Originally Posted by yifuqiao View Post
    I did all the drivetrain fluid( trans, TC, rear dif ) and it was 171 OTD.
    Not sure what exact service you wanna do, but contact them for a quote.
    YEA THATS WHAT I WAS THINKING OF DOING AS WELL THE WHOLE DRIVETRAIN, THANKS

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    03 evo8
    Hey guys I'm pretty new to owning a Evo this is my first car and I got it about 6 months ago and I'm having kinda the same problem with 5 gear tho and I had bought transmission fluid cause I heard that might be the problem so I drained it and put the new fluid in and that ended up not working so I was wondering what might be the problem

SoCalEvo.net Shop

But you do not say what transmission fluid that you bought.

And 5th gear on EVOs is its own issue. Just sucks.

Mike W
    Last edited by Mike W; 12-12-2014 at 12:59 PM.

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    03 evo8
    I don't remember I got what autozone recommended

SoCalEvo.net Shop

Well there you go. That :-/

Mike W

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    03 evo8
    Do you know what type you should use?

SoCalEvo.net Shop

Quote Originally Posted by yifuqiao View Post

I think RRE uses redline MT85 as a default trans fluid and it definitely did the trick on my car.

1st gear is much much better now, the rest gears shift very well too.
    Redline MT-85

But 5th gear is world famous all by its self for being wonky.

Mike W

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    03 evo8
    Thanks appreciate the help I'll get some and see how it goes

I myself also have the similar problem. Somewhat have a hard time shifting into 3rd and or when at rolling go into 1st. Any clue?
    _ejay

SoCalEvo.net Shop

If the clutch adjustment is the problem, then adjusting the clutch would be a better choice to fix it.

So the first thing is to check the clutch adjustment. If the clutch is adjusted properly, and your transmission fluid is something other than Redline MT-85, then try Redline MT-85?

If the clutch is properly adjusted and the correct fluid is in the transmission, and it still does it, then it would be something wrong with the clutch or transmission. And that would be super difficult to diagnose over the internet.

Mike W

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast