Thread: Constant P0016

Constant P0016

Having been dealing with p0016 code for quite some time now..almost a year. Evo had kelford 214A installed and since then code has been popping up. I've taken it to another shop, KTM and checked timing chain for stretch and timing. Both are within specs.

Yesterday took to dealer for latest ecu reflash which had a "fix" for p0016 and had my custom tune put back on.. Still getting code after second start up.

Any ideas on what to check next? Have been reading thru evom for other known causes...last resort would b to get new sensor and hope it works

SoCalEvo.net Shop

Did the "fix" fix it? If the "fix" fixed it and then the flash broke it again, then that gives you a direction to go in.

If the "fix" didn't fix it, then it would be some mechanical issue you are missing. Get it checked out better deeper then.

Either of the position sensors can go bad, the MIVEC mechanism in the cam sprocket can get stuck, the MIVEC oil control solenoid can get stuck, the filter screen can get clogged up...

Someone would want to log the requested MIVEC and compare it to the actual MIVEC position.

Mike W

Thanks for info..plan to get it in shop and see about getting cams removed and reinstalled, have everything checked over. Maybe original shop did something wrong w install.

I read about p0016/improper cam install causing power lost as well. I got full bolt ons, cams, dw1000, 3port,and fuel pump. Made 283whp on dyno dynamics. Same tuner is tuning other X w just intake/cbe and put down 282whp. Something not adding up

SoCalEvo.net Shop

There is nothing about taking them out and putting them back in that would fix anything. Checking that the marks are lined up or not would help. But that would have been obvious when the stretch was checked out?

As long as you get your EVO worked on at an EVO shop, it should work out just fine. Just make sure that someone that knows what an EVO X is and what an EVO X isnt goes through the list of possibilities in my post above. Sounds like maybe not. A kid could be the Lord God King Bu-Fu of Supras, GTRs, Hondas or Facebook and still get his ass kicked by a 4B11. We work on them all day every day and still learn new shit all the time.

Mike W

Cams were installed by a well known evo shop down there. I have since been going thru KT as I did with my previous EVO.

Cams were in evo when I bought it. Previous owner noticed a CEL after taking it home from install. and original shop told him it was most likely due to testpipe so he or shop never pulled the code to check it and noticed it was p0016 rather than something else for testpipe/o2

Cars
    2011 AS Evo X Gsr
    I was getting the P0016 code for the longest. I was at a shop in south jersey a while back and the dude there recommended a heat shield for my exhaust side cam sensor. since then no issues. this may or may not be a fix for you but it worked for me.