Thread: E85 smog & monitors

Cars
    Evo IX MR

E85 smog & monitors

So I have a question for the guys tha are running dual map e85/... As far as smog check there is the new law in Cali for no sniffer test. Do the ecu monitors read as "ready" for when they run the health check on the ecus? Or will it not pass?

I have all bolt ons. I can put my stock cat back but will the Megan down pipe be a issue for the visual?

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    thread moved.

Sportback Evolution MR

I was kind of wondering a similar thing. If I run a test pipe on my x but swap it back to the stock cat for smog time will the new tune affect the smog test when they hook it up to the computer?

Just go back stock cat you should be fine
    = for all your needs call Alfred@TTech -909-783-1200

If you've got the monitors to set with a test pipe it with pass the functional test, but if the tech actually does his job correctly he should fail you for it visually.

The ECU monitors check to make sure your smog related equipment are working properly. If the smog related equipment detects that something is wrong then it will throw a CEL. Therefore when you do the obd smog check your monitors have to show as both available and pass and there have to be no CEL on. Any CEL is an instant fail. If you go to an evo friendly smog shop and your monitors pass and no CEL, then you can still pass even though visually you should have failed. If you have to go to a Star Station, Gold Shield, Smog Ref, etc.. then I would just put everything back to stock. Keep in mind that if you're going to one of these that they can also detect how many miles it has been since the car was last flashed or reset so I wouldn't just reflash the car right before you go. That would make them suspicious especially since it takes some drive cycles for some of the monitors to register as ready and pass.

Cars
    Evo IX MR
    So I failed smog yesterday. It showed the 02 sensor, 02 heater & catalytic converter monitors NOT ready.

I have not CEL. I'm guessing it's the tune not letting the monitors run.

What do you guys think?

Cars
    Dodrio
    Ask your tuner to fake the monitors to ready. Should be able to in Tephra v7 Mod.

Waka waka - I'm a slowpoke
    Doc Mosh #1 fan boy

If you have accessibly to a obd2 scanner you can connect it and make sure the monitors are ready before you take it, but like kambodianboi said you can force ready all monitors on tephra mod.

Cars
    Evo IX MR
    Ok. I'm gonna ask my tuner. Is anyone local to garden grove/Westminster area that could help me out to do it!...I could buy you lunch or something.

Cars
    Dodrio
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry321 View Post
    Ok. I'm gonna ask my tuner. Is anyone local to garden grove/Westminster area that could help me out to do it!...I could buy you lunch or something.
    I highly recommend to use your own personal tuner, cause you never know what could happen to your base tuned map.

Waka waka - I'm a slowpoke
    Doc Mosh #1 fan boy

Cars
    2000 Green Honda Civic DX. 2003 TB Evo VIII.
    Quote Originally Posted by hardcoreracing View Post
    The ECU monitors check to make sure your smog related equipment are working properly. If the smog related equipment detects that something is wrong then it will throw a CEL. Therefore when you do the obd smog check your monitors have to show as both available and pass and there have to be no CEL on. Any CEL is an instant fail. If you go to an evo friendly smog shop and your monitors pass and no CEL, then you can still pass even though visually you should have failed. If you have to go to a Star Station, Gold Shield, Smog Ref, etc.. then I would just put everything back to stock. Keep in mind that if you're going to one of these that they can also detect how many miles it has been since the car was last flashed or reset so I wouldn't just reflash the car right before you go. That would make them suspicious especially since it takes some drive cycles for some of the monitors to register as ready and pass.
    I worked at the ref station in el cajon for a year and there was no way for us to see when the car was last flashed, etc. Unless the ref just never showed me because he knew I modded my car lol. If the monitor is not ready it either means the car hasn't gone through enough drive cycles since the monitors were reset, like when you erase a cel. I am not sure if flashing your ecu resets monitors, I will check soon if noone knows for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry321 View Post
    So I failed smog yesterday. It showed the 02 sensor, 02 heater & catalytic converter monitors NOT ready.

I have not CEL. I'm guessing it's the tune not letting the monitors run.

What do you guys think?
    Some monitors get ready fast, like ho2s and cat should be ready after a warm-up-cool down cycle on most cars, evap usually takes longer. Since it was the monitors that usually run quickly that failed you I would guess that your tuner disabled the test so your test pipe didn't throw a cel. If you don't have a defouler/o2 sensor spacer and you have a test pipe and aren't getting a cel, it must be disabled in the ecu. As for passing while running e85. do not tell the tech that you are on e85 lol, that is a fail. Some techs don't care but I am just telling you what I know can fail you. Other than that, your downpipe can cause a fail under visual. If you don't have a cat and the tech doesn't look you will still fail the sniffer, unless you really don't have to do it, idk about the new law or what zip codes are effected by it.

It is easy to change all of this stuff in the ecu yourself. My advice would be to buy a tactrix cable and download ecuflash and see what is going on yourself. You will be lost and nervous at first (I was at least) but will feel like an expert after a month lol.

My O2 sensor monitor shows "not ready" on my code reader even though my tune shows it to be ready and pass. Changed out sensor to a known good used sensor and driven about 50 miles and still the same. Any advice?!