Thread: aem wideband help

Question aem wideband help

hi i am going to purchase the aem wideband 30-4110 for a stock evo 9 because i plan to use it to monitor my upgrades later. the question is can i install this on the stock CAT and dp? IT should be installed before the stock Cat right?

Also i have to unplug the o2 senor to conect the wideband sensor in? will that be ok and pass SMOG when i smog check in orange county california?

Cars
    Evo IX MR
    It should go before your cat, and you CAN put it on your stock dp but that's kinda dumb if those are parts you wanna upgrade anyway.

If you are set on doing it, go to a muffler shop and have them weld the provided O2 bung onto the dp. No need to remove stock O2 sensor. As far as smog, who knows...depends on smog technician doing it. But probably not.

Cars
    Evo IX MR - 2G Eclipse GST -3G Eclipse (Sold)
    If you plan to keep the stock CAT, I'll ask for the bug to be installed at the CAT before the cell (close to the dp). If you are gonna keep the dp, then got and install it at the DP just before the CAT. watch angle and clearance try to keep the angle that installation guide recommend. install the sensor to make sure about clearance.

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    Quote Originally Posted by ekinshuya View Post
    hi i am going to purchase the aem wideband 30-4110 for a stock evo 9 because i plan to use it to monitor my upgrades later. the question is can i install this on the stock CAT and dp? IT should be installed before the stock Cat right?

Also i have to unplug the o2 senor to conect the wideband sensor in? will that be ok and pass SMOG when i smog check in orange county california?
    If you install it downstream of the cat it will skew the readings. Install it before the cat as others have suggested.

Your car has two o2 sensors- one in the o2 housing and one just downstream of the cat. Don't mess with either of them, as this will trigger the check engine light and you will not be pass smog. More importantly, messing with the front o2 sensor could cause your car to run poorly, as the factory ECU uses it quite often to determine the engine's fueling needs. The rear o2 sensor has less of an effect on engine performance but is part of the car's emissions equipment package and besides, it's downstream of the cat.

You will want to weld a bung onto the downpipe (aftermarket or stock) so you can add your new sensor without disrupting things. The bungs are fairly cheap and readily available. Most muffler shops should be able to handle the job. Be sure to choose an appropriate location, as others have mentioned. Conventional wisdom is you don't want it too close to the turbo outlet to maximize sensor life. Approximately 12-18" away is fine. Also, orient the sensor so that it is between 9 and 3 o'clock.

thanks alot guys but for smog checks with the tech say anything with the sensor bung in the downpipe?

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    It shouldn't be an issue, no. It doesn't modify the performance of the engine or emissions systems. It is just a monitoring device.