Thread: 28psi stock motor, stock turbo??

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Wicked White Evo X GSR

28psi stock motor, stock turbo??

i recently got a tune for my evo x and my tuner told me im tuned at 28 psi.. i thought it was pretty high so i looked into the forums and people are actually tuned at 22~24 psi unless you're running E85 or 93 octane but here in socal, we only get 91 octane. Im not tuned for E85 yet and i wont be for a while, but are any of you guys running the same psi? my tuner told me im perfectly fine but im scared my engine or turbo will go "kaboom!"

my current mods are:
    - AMS widemouth downpipe
    - AMS testpipe
    - ETS intake
    - ETS UICP
    - Grimmspeed EBCS
    - 91 octane @28psi

im sorry there were so many posts about such issue but i just couldnt find the solid answer!
    thanks in advance.

SoCalEvo.net Shop

Was it the Craigslist guy that meets people at 7-11? Either way, you went to him because you trust him with your motor. How come you dont trust him anymore?

Mike W

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    'craigslist guy' lol

Sportback Evolution MR

Cars
    Evo IX MR - 2G Eclipse GST -3G Eclipse (Sold)
    if you don''t feel confident... get another tuner and eat the cost for an extra tune or ask the tuner to roll back stock tune...

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
    Cars
    5150 flexfuel tuned 14/ww CZ4A/07 CT9A MR
    Quote Originally Posted by stinowevox View Post
    i recently got a tune for my evo x and my tuner told me im tuned at 28 psi.. i thought it was pretty high so i looked into the forums and people are actually tuned at 22~24 psi unless you're running E85 or 93 octane but here in socal, we only get 91 octane. Im not tuned for E85 yet and i wont be for a while, but are any of you guys running the same psi? my tuner told me im perfectly fine but im scared my engine or turbo will go "kaboom!"

my current mods are:
    - AMS widemouth downpipe
    - AMS testpipe
    - ETS intake
    - ETS UICP
    - Grimmspeed EBCS
    - 91 octane @28psi

im sorry there were so many posts about such issue but i just couldnt find the solid answer!
    thanks in advance.
    did you get a print out or anything? im not trying to make you look a bonehead, but tell us exactly where and who did this? I think most of us would want to give you good advice, and maybe poke you with something sharp if you did something shortsighted.

IMHO I wouldn't get on boost until I knew what in sams hell is going on. every 91 tune I have seen (which is a handful) has been 22-24.

Cars
    BTW, what about torque curve? any CEL light on?. As the tuner for the graphs...
    Last edited by evo_jfa; 01-06-2015 at 05:41 PM.

Tustin Meet Coordinator RC10EVOX's Avatar
    Cars
    2010 WW Evo X

my current mods are:
    - AMS widemouth downpipe
    - AMS testpipe
    - ETS intake
    - ETS UICP
    - Grimmspeed EBCS
    - 91 octane @28psi

thanks in advance.
    Can you disclose who tuned you?

There is only one person that I know of that tunes at that high of boost (28-30psi)and I wouldn't trust him for a long term tune if it is who I think it is because he'll make his tunes very aggressive without any real long term experience.
    Last edited by RC10EVOX; 01-06-2015 at 11:39 PM.

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Wicked White Evo X GSR
    sorry guys. Jon from 5150 racing tuned my car.

here is the graph.

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Wicked White Evo X GSR
    its not that i dont trust the tuner anymore. Im sure its possible to do so, but i rather have a conservative tune instead of having a tune with maximum power and be on the risky side and as i read what people are getting from the forums, they never run 28 psi on stock motor and turbo.

Cars
    well,
    Jon is on this forum too. I guess he took care of your car. Maybe the tuner can explain you what happen in case you experience knock at WOT. I don't think other tuner is going to add a comment, but I rather keep close conversation with the tuner and try to adjust the tune into your preferences.

Once tuners get more experience in the platform, they could handle more boost on stock block, however torque curve is not spike too high. As I remember, torque is what the tuner should be cautious.

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Wicked White Evo X GSR
    i trust Jon :) i just wanted to hear what ppl run on their cars

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    its not that i dont trust the tuner anymore. Im sure its possible to do so, but i rather have a conservative tune instead of having a tune with maximum power and be on the risky side and as i read what people are getting from the forums, they never run 28 psi on stock motor and turbo.
    well if you wanted a conservative tune, why not go back to Jon? Im sure he'd be more than willing to set your tune to a more acceptable one. I know a few guys tuned by him and have nothing but good things to say about his service.

Sportback Evolution MR

SoCalEvo.net Shop

The X can take that kind of boost down low with the right fuel, timing and some MIVEC magic. I personally dont run them that high intentionally with out a good reason. It isn't like it is holding 28 psi up top. If you take the wastegate hose off an X with a stock turbo you will hit 35 psi and it will steadily drop to 20 psi max as the RPM goes up. A stock turbo simply cant supply that kind of boost higher up. You also might be seeing a peak spike of 28 psi, with a hold for a bit at 26 psi and then it tapering to 20 psi. Tooners really really appreciate these conversations directly. There is a lot you either don't see or understand and therefore your issues cant be best communicated to us all here and so it cant be fully explained to the peanut gallery here to get your answer. It really would be best dealt with John directly. You claim to trust John, well go talk to him.

Mike W

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
    Cars
    5150 flexfuel tuned 14/ww CZ4A/07 CT9A MR
    i trust Jon :) i just wanted to hear what ppl run on their cars
    dude, you made it sound like you met some cluck in front of payless shoes and got tuned or something.

Tustin Meet Coordinator RC10EVOX's Avatar
    Cars
    2010 WW Evo X
    Well, if you are just spiking 28psi occasionally then I wouldn't really think anything of it, but if you are concerned I would definitely just go back to Jon and I'm sure he'll take care of it for you. However, I would feel good with Jons tune since he obviously has great experience tuning high hp stock turbo evos.

I agree with JiggyPiggy, you made it sound like it was some tuner out of a parking garage!

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Wicked White Evo X GSR
    hah i know sorry :/ i was just worried and paranoid that i'll run into some problems soon... this was my first protune ever! i had no idea what i was gna run into even though i researched and read a lot about tuned evos.

Team Knee Pads Baller Member evoempire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jiGGypiGGy View Post
    dude, you made it sound like you met some cluck in front of payless shoes and got tuned or something.
    Wait a minute, people get tuned from payless now? I've been doing it all wrong. lmao

Experienced
    Cars
    8/MRS
    Quote Originally Posted by jiGGypiGGy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by evoempire View Post
    Wait a minute, people get tuned from payless now? I've been doing it all wrong. lmao
    Just the guy in front of Payless tunes, store associates will only sell you Turbo shoes.

Team Knee Pads Baller Member evoempire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1 View Post
    Just the guy in front of Payless tunes, store associates will only sell you Turbo shoes.

Payless tuning has got it going on!