Thread: Help! radiator hose touching BOV

Help! radiator hose touching BOV

I just had a shop installed my aem intake and the instruction said something about rotating the BOV to the firewall so it wont rub the radiator hose. the shop that installed it left the radator hose rubbing the BoV. will it be a problem? and will the heat from either two melt each other or something?image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    It's not ideal. Are you in imminent danger? No. If you are not satisfied, take it back and see if they can help you. I'm not all that familiar with that particular AEM system, but usually they do a pretty good job designing their stuff to fit well. If it was me, i would try playing around with everything in that region to see if i could make it fit better.

SoCalEvo.net Shop

The heat from the rubber will not melt the rubber.

The BOV vacuum hose is a little tiny bit kinked. With the AEM intake on the EVO 8/9 you need to kind of pre install everything a little loose and then wiggle and wriggle everything into its own happy place. All relaxed all together. Then tighten up all the clamps. It can all fit nicely. It just needs a little love and patience.

Mike W

so the bov is correctly position? also the vacuum hose is a bit kinked, does that explain why my BOV has fluttering sound when i shift and let go of the gas? cuz i am getting bov fluttering with just the aem intake on stock evo 9. could it be the vacumm hose pinched? is it bad btw

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
    With the AEM intake on the EVO 8/9 you need to kind of pre install everything a little loose and then wiggle and wriggle everything into its own happy place. All relaxed all together. Then tighten up all the clamps. It can all fit nicely. It just needs a little love and patience.

Mike W
    If the kink is interfering with the signal to the BOV, which it probably is, then yes that would be your flutter. Short term it's not horrible, but it's defeating the purpose of the valve.

As far as the positioning of everything, Mike said it perfectly. Do what he said and you'll get it to fit. :)

thank u guys but i notice it only flutter at 3,000 to 4,000 rpm or so. at 4,000 or is it 4,500 rpm? then ot has the normal whoospssh sound

SoCalEvo.net Shop

Well the parts are still all mashed together, no? So maybe unmash them all and see if that helps? So it only makes fluttering noises in a certain range but the flutter noise bugged you enough to start a separate thread about it fluttering.

BOVs do not flutter. Wastegates do not flutter. Intakes do not flutter. None of these make actual fluttering noises. The turbo pumping more air than the engine can use at the moment causes some shock waves as the air is getting smashed into the system and has no where to go and is going back out the same compressor inlet that is trying to smash it all in. That makes fluttering noises. That is generally a bad noise. It is the sound of your turbo compressor wheel being tortured. A properly working BOV can prevent this collision of air being pumped in and leaking out the same hole. So yeah, it only does this at a certain RPM, does that mean it is all good? That is up to you I guess.

I stand on my previous diagnosis and answer of getting someone that knows how to work on a performance car to get your stuff to all fit nicely. At that point your fluttering noise will either be better, worse or stay the same. With that information and at that point you (and all of us here in the peanut gallery that we affectionately call SoCalEVO.net) can either rejoice at your success... or continue to help walk you through the issues arising from having stereo shops work on your EVO :-)

Mike W

thanks for the tip mike. its just that i read a bunch of thread and it said some fluttering is normal at partial throtle. so i thought maybe under 4,000 rpm the fluttering noise is common since it didnt have it at 4,500 rpm. im not even sure if u can call it fluttering. ill try post a video tonight to see if it really is fluttering

skip to 30 sec . the 1st 1 or 2 time u can hear the fluttering. the last 2 was shift at 4,500 rpm so it sound normal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KplQIcQ-JAE

so my bov vacuum hose was pinched. i fixed that issue and i think all the lines are connected. i think it soulve my problem m...but now when its 3,000k rpm or under, sometimes it will make a softer fluttering noise. alot softer and its like 50/50 of the time. that is ok?