Thread: AEM intake lid

Experienced
    Cars
    Evo X

AEM intake lid

I know a few years back someone was making a new black lid that fit the AEM box and looked completely stealth. I was wondering if anyone still makes this? or anyone who has the lid and wants to sell theirs?

Attached a pic to show what it looked like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have that same lid. Not looking to sell it but this is the guy I brought it from on evom.
    http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mem...910-r0me0.html

Not sure if he still is active but you can try him.

just make your own. trace and cut. i made mine using clear plexiglass so i can see the condition of the filter right away without removing the cover.

Experienced
    Cars
    1995 Ford Probe GT, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6, 2013 GSR
    The point of a black cover is so that the local peace officer doesn't know you're running an aftermarket intake. If you can see the filter through a plexiglass screen then he's almost certain to hand you some sort of fix-it or ref ticket.

I made my AEM intake cover out of 1/16" ABS haircell plastic sheet. Haircell is that slightly pebbled texture you frequently see on the surface of hard automotive plastics. Get a little dust on it from typical engine compartments and the thing just blends in. 1/16" is probably close to the ideal thickness for this application. I'd sell you the one right off my car for $5 which just covers materials cost and a bit of my time to fabricate myself a new one but you're better off making your own given how simple it is to do. Of course not everybody has easy access to automotive grade sheets of ABS laying about, but I have a bit of a history working with plastics...
    RRE Tuned (bolt ons, flex fuel), West End Alignment (KW v3 coils)

Experienced
    Cars
    Evo X
    I would be willing if I could see a picture of It. I just want it to look as much as an oem piece as it can. I've already gotten my hood popped and thank god its all stock under the hood for now. I would rather avoid a ref ticket if I can!

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    The lid being clear or whatever is irrelevant. It's a CARB legal intake. So long as there is a lid that does not modify the part's function as when CARB certification was completed, i think you can make it out of whatever you want. Usually the tech or officer's concern stops when they are presented with the CARB certification evidence.

Cars
    2012 EVO WW
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic10 View Post
    I know a few years back someone was making a new black lid that fit the AEM box and looked completely stealth. I was wondering if anyone still makes this? or anyone who has the lid and wants to sell theirs?

Attached a pic to show what it looked like.
    I wish someone made a carbon fiber lid.. That would be cool!

Cars
    2013 Evo X, 2009 CBR600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Hunter View Post
    The lid being clear or whatever is irrelevant. It's a CARB legal intake. So long as there is a lid that does not modify the part's function as when CARB certification was completed, i think you can make it out of whatever you want. Usually the tech or officer's concern stops when they are presented with the CARB certification evidence.
    This also applies to injen intake, as long as you have ur carb sticker on the intake you should be fine...
    LoOnEy TuNeD
    Instagram @600rrevox

Cars
    10' WW CZ4A
    I'm curious if anyone is running either Injen or AEM and if their intakes came with a CARB sticker. I was looking through their sites and saw that they only provide those stickers to people with 2008 model year cars.
    Last edited by Chompy; 04-12-2015 at 11:01 AM.

Canyon Racer
    Cars
    GG VIII MR, WW MR-T
    Both Injen and AEM intakes for the VIII/IX come with CARB sticker. I have both.

Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Chompy View Post
    I'm curious if anyone is running either Injen or AEM and if their intakes came with a CARB sticker. I was looking through their sites and saw that they only provide those stickers to people with 2008 model year cars.

I have the sticker on my intake but i do believe that they're carb legal up to 2008, if they pop ur hood unless the cop searches ur carb number u will be okay...
    LoOnEy TuNeD
    Instagram @600rrevox

group buy!!!!

Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by hakmeister View Post
    group buy!!!!
    I thought u sold ur car, thats what ur fs thread says...
    LoOnEy TuNeD
    Instagram @600rrevox

Experienced
    Cars
    1995 Ford Probe GT, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6, 2013 GSR
    Earlier this week I decided to try out an idea for a black AEM lid to make it even more "stock," if that's a thing... Haven't had a chance to drive the car yet with the new filter cover so not sure how well it will hold up (Only had Polystyrene 1/16" machine grade sheet available.) compared to ABS. If it gets all saggy on me I'll just have to break down and get some machine grade ABS sheet. The Polystyrene has a good melting point but it's possible the heat may degrade it. The ABS plastic cover is still great, even with 33,000 miles on it (only slight warping from "settling"), so if you're looking for a durable, easy to work with material, I'd definitely recommend it in that thickness and style (1/16" haircell).

20150605_085649.jpg
    RRE Tuned (bolt ons, flex fuel), West End Alignment (KW v3 coils)

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    Damn, nicely done!

Should be pretty straightforward to make. Just get a sheet metal and paint it black.

Cars
    06 Subaru Wrx
    kind of like that plexiglass idea

what's the melting point of plexi (320*F) vs average temp under the hood at summertime WOT?

Can always make it out of polysulfone plastic.. As far as fix it ticket, i thought as long as it has the CARB sticker on it, cops can't give you ticket?