Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: JD Motorsports Time Attack Evo

Cars
    Evo IX GSR SE & a Miata!
    If you want to see teaser pics you can check facebook.com/carsonmotorsports. Be sure to give the page a "like" while your at it too...haha

I'm also on IG: @smash_the_clock We have some photos there as well.
    Last edited by Johns_EVOIXSE; 03-25-2016 at 03:04 PM.
    JD Motorsports| Custom Aero and Track Prep Solutions | Track Proven and Tested

1:46.3 @ BRP CW13 @ 400whp | 1:26.8 @ WSIR @ 400whp| 1:21.6 @ SOW CCW @ 400whp | 1:22.7 @ SOW CW @ 400whp

Cars
    Evo IX GSR SE & a Miata!
    Been working on the new aero set up. Here are some work in progress pictures. Still quite a few features to add to the system. All aero components were made by Wasp Composities.

1:46.3 @ BRP CW13 @ 400whp | 1:26.8 @ WSIR @ 400whp| 1:21.6 @ SOW CCW @ 400whp | 1:22.7 @ SOW CW @ 400whp

SoCalEvo.net Vendor

Cars
    evo
    I saw wasps Facebook photos of all the progress. Looking forward to seeing them come together. It is nice to see evos live on and continue their dominance.

Cars
    Evo IX GSR SE & a Miata!
    Quote Originally Posted by Delegance Detailing View Post
    I saw wasps Facebook photos of all the progress. Looking forward to seeing them come together. It is nice to see evos live on and continue their dominance.
    Time Attack and Evos will continue to evolve as teams continue to push the envelope. In my opinion, that is what makes Time Attack so interesting. The cars aren't boring due to a highly regulated rule book. As kids we grow up dreaming of building, driving, and seeing wild cars, not Spec cars that look the same as every other car in the paddock, haha.

We are picking up the front end on Sunday. We had some engine issues with the spare motor we put in for Chuckwalla which prevented us from attending that event. We put the stock block back in, and will build the other motor with the Manley components as we dial in the chassis changes. Shooting to test at BRP next weekend, and make sure all the bolts stay on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Johns_EVOIXSE View Post
    Time Attack and Evos will continue to evolve as teams continue to push the envelope. In my opinion, that is what makes Time Attack so interesting. The cars aren't boring due to a highly regulated rule book. As kids we grow up dreaming of building, driving, and seeing wild cars, not Spec cars that look the same as every other car in the paddock, haha.

We are picking up the front end on Sunday. We had some engine issues with the spare motor we put in for Chuckwalla which prevented us from attending that event. We put the stock block back in, and will build the other motor with the Manley components as we dial in the chassis changes. Shooting to test at BRP next weekend, and make sure all the bolts stay on the car.
    Please do keep posting! Cars like these are what keep me interested in mine when I can't spend baller money and have the custom work done that I wish I had.
    '03 BBY VIII GSR (The Blue Bomber) Corn Fed + some
    '10 WW X MR (Her car) "RRE Super Stock"

SoCalEvo.net Vendor

Cars
    evo
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns_EVOIXSE View Post

This is very true! Plus there is not too much politics in it like the big leagues. Looking forward to seeing what wasp will come up with. Also hope you can get that motor in and ready to rock.

Cars
    Evo IX GSR SE & a Miata!
    Quote Originally Posted by Delegance Detailing View Post
    This is very true! Plus there is not too much politics in it like the big leagues. Looking forward to seeing what wasp will come up with. Also hope you can get that motor in and ready to rock.
    Stock motor is in for this coming weekend. It will be a shake down as the next round is only a 1 day event. Hoping we can shake down somewhere the day before. There is still some politics that go on behind the scenes, but like you said, not like some of the other forms of racing out there. There is no escaping politics in any form of racing unfortunately.

Cars
    Evo IX GSR SE & a Miata!
    It's been a while since we have posted. Hope everyone had fun at MOD.

We recently partnered with AEM Electronics to replace their older Series II ECU with their new Infinity platform. We have paired it with Tezfel Milspec wire, RE Raychem heat shrink, and a Deutsch Autosport connector. This allows for a very neat and tidy cable run to complement the IP67 housing for better moisture ingress protection over the last set up. Rainy days are not a problem considering we don't have windows anymore, so this definitely gives us peace of mind!

As stiff as the chassis is now with the Racefab chromoly sub frames, and how much NVH is now resonating throughout the car (the car literally feels like a 125cc Kart driving on the street), the military grade shock proof housing will be a big upgrade compared to before. The computing power and overall hardware of the Infinity is also light years ahead of the series II, which will allow BBR Tuning to crank out even more safe and reliable power. The VE based tuning model versus injector pulse width that the Series II utilized will make future tuning for any airflow changes we make much easier using the set-up wizard. This will help us save time that we can use for other areas of the car, or just standing around bs'ing. Whatever works.

Here is the AEM Infinity and Race Capture Data Acquisition Software mounted on a Wasp Composites sheet of carbon. The Racecapture will be paired with a Samsung tablet mounted on the dash allowing for an easy real time video data overlay with the GoPro camera.

Last edited by Johns_EVOIXSE; 07-13-2015 at 09:21 AM.

Cars
    Evo IX GSR SE & a Miata!
    We are happy to report a successful calibration of the engine with AEM's Infinity stand alone ECU. The engine is running better than it ever did with the old Series II. The new engine settings will complement the recent chassis changes very nicely. We were able to program 5 different boost settings, but most importantly do it safely and reliably by integrating with AEM's stainless pressure transducers allowing for full control. In the event something happens with the fuel delivery, oil delivery, boost, or coolant, AEM has us covered. Special thanks to the whiz kid Beau Brown for working his magic with the AEM Infinity.
    image.jpgimage.jpg

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    Nice! When/where is your next event? Hopefully i can catch a glimpse of this thing in action soon!

Cars
    Evo IX GSR SE & a Miata!
    The front end is in the final stages, so once that's done, we can start the fitment process with the rest of the front aero components. Goal is to test as much as we can next month leading into Redline Round 7, and GTA Super Lap world finals which are both in November.

Im curious if you still have time to drive your personal evo lol ^^

Cars
    Evo IX GSR SE & a Miata!
    Time is a very rare commodity.

We will be testing at Buttonwillow tomorrow. Wish us luck! Hopefully nothing falls off the car at speed!

How are those brakes working out? Would they work ok with abs and stock master cylinder, etc?
    2005 evo8 , rre dual tuned e85/91

Cars
    Evo IX GSR SE & a Miata!
    People run them with ABS and stock masters all the time. You can also opt to just run their calipers and not their rotors. I've seen a few vintage Porches run their brake calipers at the track before which was interesting to see. I talked with the driver and he really liked them over his brembos.

As for our experience, they do make a bit of a whine noise when braking from high speeds, due to the convoluted rotor design; however, the brakes are the best they have ever been. We are going to be running their bigger rotors in the front for this season to combat heat a bit better for the summer events and the higher straight line speeds we are anticipating with the new motor build. We will loose some of the unsprung weight advantage we had, but we will gain a bit in the ability for the rotor to soak up a bit more heat. This should hopefully offer a more consistent pedal feel. The tilton masters gave us a lot more control and feel for braking. Every time I drive a car with ABS now it feels so numb!!!

We will also be hooking up two AEM pressure sensors on the brake system to monitor brake pressure for driving purposes and also to monitor brake fade. The data from we get from this will be a good addition to our current data acquisition.
    Last edited by Johns_EVOIXSE; 03-15-2016 at 08:59 AM.

Cars
    Evo IX GSR SE & a Miata!
    This is long over due, but here is a Recap from our event at Super Lap Battle x Global Time Attack last November.

We went into the event with two previous test days, which was a huge help in terms of us being prepared for this event compared with our 2014 effort. Also, this was the start of the new two day format, which I actually prefer as it's conducive to teams that might be battling some mechanical or set up issues and giving teams ample time to recover and put down a time.

Prior to the event we did run into issues with over heating, and dialing in the suspension. The front aero changes made a dramatic change to the way the car steered, much more than we anticipated. I literally move the steering wheel an inch and I'm already all the way across the track on on the apex/berms. The car is very darty now and changes directions very quickly, to the point that it feels like a formula car. Part of this is exacerbated by the elimination of the factory gas tank, and replacing it with an 8 gallon ATL fuel cell hanging off the rear trunk area, which gives a bit more of a polar inertia affect, combined with the rear not making as much down-force as the front. We ended up making a quite a bit of set up changes to try and get more rear grip to make the car more stable in high speed corners. We did this by adjusting rear alignment settings, swapping back to our old diffuser, and cranking up the rear wing's AOA. Luckily, we did this prior to Super Lap Battle which was a big step in our preparation. The car is still barely balanced as is, so you just basically have to keep your foot in it and have smooth steering inputs (slow hands in the high speed corners) to keep from scrubbing speed.

Going into Superlap battle we put down a 1:50.0 in the morning practice session when the track was still cold. I ended up looking at the data from the lap to determine where we needed to make some adjustments to the car as well as my driving.

The very next session the sun had already been baking the track a bit. We ended up going out and putting down a 1:46.8 which which ended up being the fastest time in our class, and a new personal best by almost two seconds. it felt good to be ahead of the game and coming out of the gate running.

We ended up running into a few snags that needed some attention so we ended up skipping the next few sessions. The last session of day one I suited up and was able to go out and put down a 1:46.6, a couple tenths faster than previous run, and further cementing our lead in Limited Class.

Going into the second day we ran into some issues that we had to address and ended up skipping a few sessions. By session 3 the track conditions had gotten a bit worse from a few cars going off track and kicking up dust on the racing surface. We put ended up putting down a 1:47 and change in session 3. We go out for session 4 to really attack it and hopefully go faster than the previous days run. I ended up kicking the rear out on the outlap/warmup lap coming out of Buttonhook trying to get a bit of heat in the tires and warm up mentally, but then the car completely shuts off. I end up pulling off the track to the side to get out of other drivers way. It made for an interesting view seeing all the fastest Time Attack cars in North America flying by me at speed, one of them being the Professional Awesome Evo engulfed in flames due to an oil filter backing out...

We ended up getting towed back to the pits by the lovely Mike Warfield and immediately started troubleshooting to figure out why the car shut off. We ended up hot wiring the car with an ejecto seat button courtesy of Jager Racing to get it started for the final session. By now the pressure was on me to hopefully put down a faster time. The head gasket had started to go on day one, so we were hoping the 100,000 miles factory motor would hold for one final attack.

By the end of the session we put down a 1:46.3 which was good enough for 2nd place in Limited Class, and the 2nd fasted limited AWD time in all of Super Lap's 11 year history. This was 3 seconds faster than the previous year for us, and was done on a factory long block, a lot of aero, and a heavy right foot!

For this season we look to step it up in the power department, further refine the aero package, and go even faster!

FullSizeRender[1].jpgFullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender[2].jpgIMG_3505.JPG

Last edited by Johns_EVOIXSE; 03-15-2016 at 09:07 AM.

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Lancer Evo 9 SE
    the aero looks very similar to Tilton Evo. Of all the aero pieces, which one made the most impact? Front bumper, side skirt, rear diffuser? Are you planning to add cannards for the front bumper?

Front and and larger splitter made a huge difference. We are still dialing in the rear diffuser but with so much front down force we now have to move our wing location in a more cleaner air location.

Cars
    Evo IX GSR SE & a Miata!
    It's hard to pin point it to one exact mod as we changed quite a bit, but I would say it would be the new front splitter combined with the v-mounted intercooler / radiator set up. This increased the surface area of the splitter by a substantial amount. Roostinds can probably chime in on the exact length, but I would say from the leading edge of the intercooler to the leading edge of the splitter is about 20" in the central mouth area of the splitter.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345