Thread: MR SST Transmission FAQ

MR SST Transmission FAQ

I didnt see an MR SST Transmission FAQ anywhere in the drivetrain forums, so I decided to write one; I did a cursory search online, and in the forums, gleaning the following.

Questions:

1) Which is generally more reliable, SST or manual? Manual
    2) Are SST Trani's "finicky"? yes, they can be. Care and feeding of this complex transmission is paramount to its' proper performance.
    3) I plan to do track day's with my MR, what shall I do? Spend 5K to make it reliable or plan to deal with some of its issues.
    4) How much HP can the stock SST handle: 320-340 WHP
    5) Are SST trani's safe for light mods and street "fun": yes

Please correct if not accurate, and I'll edit this post. If you have any other good suggestions for "Q and A", please provide. I'll add it.

FYI, I'm buying an Evo X and realized, though its nice tech, SST isn't ready for the abuse and $$ I plan to give it. If that's all wrong, please elaborate.

Thanks,

Ha11ster

Junior Moderator

Cars
    Evo 8/9
    I don't have an Mr nor an X but I've heard from friends.

1) Which is generally more reliable, SST or manual? Manual
    manual of course. Sst tranny tend to over heat and slip.

2) Are SST Trani's "finicky"? yes, they can be. Care and feeding of this complex transmission is paramount to its' proper performance.
    These tranny are bad ass to a certain tq.

3) I plan to do track day's with my MR, what shall I do? Spend 5K to make it reliable or plan to deal with some of its issues.
    Bigger tranny cooler and maybe cluth packs.

4) How much HP can the stock SST handle: 320-340 WHP
    350whp is what I've heard.

5) Are SST trani's safe for light mods and street "fun": yes

yes they are! They're also great for traffic :).
    Pictures on all for sale/for trade threads is being enforced!

perfect. this is exactly what I was hoping to find. thanks for the info guys. Been out of the AWD car scene since 2011. was thinking of getting into a EVO 10 SE/MR model or GSR. thanks again for info!