Thread: Question on Shock Rebuild / Re-Valve

Not So Newbie
    Rowland Heights, California, United States
    Cars
    2014 EVO X, 2014 Q5

Question on Shock Rebuild / Re-Valve

Having called Billstein in socal and multiple sources online.
    I think I can safely say that Billstein no longer does re-valve service for OEM shocks anymore.

What they kept telling me on the phone was that EVO OEM Billstein shocks were owned by Mitsubishi and they don't touch it. I think that is kind of bullshit.. How come they did it before? I argued with them a bit on the phone and this is what they kept telling me. They also knew I have a 2014 EVO X, so I guess they stopped supporting EVO X this year...

My guess is they probably want more business for their aftermarket stuff, both service and sales, so they no longer offer services for oem shocks.

Anyway, I got a set of billsteins from member on evom forum.
    Do you guys know if there is any other place in socal that does re-valve services?
    I found a place called Performance Shocks, but it is in NoCal.
    I want to at least try to find a shock shop local before I ship these away.

Also, these shocks have seen 3 years of snows in Canada.
    So it is dirty and has some rust. What would be the best way/fastest way to clean them? is there any coat I can spray on them after I clean them?
    2014 WW EVO X GSR
    Mods:
    TWM Cable Bushings | TWM Transmission Arm Pivot Bushing | TWM Shifter Base Bushing | Lathe Werks Heavy Shift Knob | TWM Full Replacement with Short Shifter

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    Say it aint so. :/ I have a complete OEM MR damper kit for my VIII and i have been looking forward to a very long future with these, including a revalve at some point down the road. I hope it's not true but it sounds like you were pretty inquisitive.

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2014 EVO X, 2014 Q5
    Man, pretty sure they stopped supporting evo8/9 mr shocks since last year. Already confirmed with multiple members.
    However, check out Feal Suspension.
    They are in Ontario. A member with a time attack evo recommends them to me. I will call them next week.
    2014 WW EVO X GSR
    Mods:
    TWM Cable Bushings | TWM Transmission Arm Pivot Bushing | TWM Shifter Base Bushing | Lathe Werks Heavy Shift Knob | TWM Full Replacement with Short Shifter

Wow! This must be a very new development. I had my shocks revalved by Bilstein for my Swift springs right about a year ago. I had to call in like 15 times just to get someone to actually talk on the phone though. Trying to remember the name of the nice lady I spoke with, can't recall....

Edit: Yeah even their website says "Complete Rebuild and Customized Tuning of A.M. (I'm guessing this means aftermarket) BILSTEIN products only."

For the rust, try spraying with a heavy layer of Kroil and see if some of it will buff off. I think RaceComp Engineering (RCE) does some Bilstein work, although I am not sure if they do it for the Evos.
    "As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep. But If I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride! Amen." ― ONEBADWS6, LS1TECH.com Member

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2014 EVO X, 2014 Q5
    Hey, LateBraking!
    HAHA, I knew you would be on this site too.
    Thanks again for selling those bilsteins for such awesome price!
    I am still considering to pick up exhaust.... soooo attempting... decision, decision.

Back to topic:
    Some members told me I could just send them in without calling ahead. Some people probably just gave false information inside bilstein.

This thread has a lil more info for people who are looking for re-valve your bilsteins:
    http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=286425
    2014 WW EVO X GSR
    Mods:

SoCalEvo.net Shop

Bret Norgaard was the one guy at Bilstein that did stuff like that and cared about consumer stuff. I heard he left and is doing his own thing. Look him up on Facebook maybe.

Mike W