Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to make the evo x flex fuel compatable.

Is there a way to make the evo x flex fuel compatable.

My all time favorite mod I have ever done to any of my cars is making my turbo s2000 flex fuel compatable with the aem ems series 2. Boost and timing is all automatically adjusted and is dependent on the %of ethanol in the tank. My s2000 makes 442whp on 91 octane and 650whp on e85. It will make anything in between wether I run E40 or e60. No more switching maps or draining tanks of pump gas or e85 to switch fuels.

I want this for the evo x.l as I plan to buy an evo x soon.

I see that aem does not make an ems for the evo x. Is this correct? Is that a way to make the stock ecu flex fuel or are there any other after market ecu's that are flex fuel compatable?

Here's a pic of my s2000 after I just pumped 6 gallons of 91octane into my take of e85.

SoCalEvo.net Shop

Cash makes anything happen. Guys that run stand alone ECUs on a CAN bus car will typically piggyback it in along with the stock ECU. You can let the stock ECU run the dash and the throttle body if you want. Or pay cash to get the stand alone ECU to run the throttle body. Or switch to a throttle cable old school style. It all depends on what dash you run and if little yellow lights freak you out. Smoggability would be a big issue for you if smoggability is a big issue for you. I saw a video the other day on Youtube with a Smart car with a LS swapped into the back of it. Yes, if there is a will there is a way. Seems like a lot of money to pay though to be able to just pump in anything. Like, for the $6k it would cost, I'd prolly just deal with all one or all the other.

Mike W

So in other words I'm guessing the answer is NO there's no aftermarket ecu that is flex fuel compatable for the evo x. That really sucks as I really feel flex fuel is one of the best mods for a turbo car.

SoCalEvo.net Shop

E-85 is one of the best mods for any turbo car.

Full flex fuel to where you can be lazy and run whatevers is a convenience.

There is no aftermarket ECU that is plug and play for the EVO X, flex fuel or not flex fuel. The demand just isnt there for the complexity that is involved in keeping the CAN bus system happy. The stock ECU being so hacked and powerful, as an aftermarket ECU manufacturer you would be retarded to invest the time and money into a plug and play ECU for the EVO X.

Mike W

mike dropping knowledge bombs as always.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
    Cars
    5150 flexfuel tuned 14/ww CZ4A/07 CT9A MR
    you can have two maps on a stock ecu right? and switch them with your cruise, one hi-low boost. you just have to have empty tanks when your switch right?

SoCalEvo.net Shop

Yes, all one or all the other. You can even have up to 9 maps to switch between.

Riceball wants to just add and mix whatever is available at the time and have the ECU just figure it out. That is true "Flex Fuel"

Mike W

Tustin Meet Coordinator RC10EVOX's Avatar
    Cars
    2010 WW Evo X
    It's funny how often people think Flex Fuel means just running E85, but have no understanding where the term originated from. lol

Aem makes the ems for the evo 8 and evo 9. Why wouldn't they make it for the evo10?

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    my guess is the 4G63 has a much bigger market compared to the 4B11. the 4B11 has only been in service since 2008 on the Evo X and Ralliart, whereas the 4G63 has been in service since 1992-2007, and on several platforms (Galant VR4, Eclipse/DSM twins, Evo I-IX).

Sportback Evolution MR

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    Quote Originally Posted by riceball777 View Post
    Aem makes the ems for the evo 8 and evo 9. Why wouldn't they make it for the evo10?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
    The demand just isnt there for the complexity that is involved in keeping the CAN bus system happy. The stock ECU being so hacked and powerful, as an aftermarket ECU manufacturer you would be retarded to invest the time and money into a plug and play ECU for the EVO X.

Mike W
    I think Mike nailed it.

Cars
    2014 Evo X GSR
    If it was available, I'm sure MOST people tuning on E85 would buy a flex fuel ECU. I know I would buy it, just makes things easier for us lazy people. Lol
    2014 Cosmic Blue EVO X GSR SS/SL

SoCalEvo.net Shop

The AEM Infinity ECU is $2200 + a harness that would have to be purchased. The ethanol sensor setup adds more. Tuning is more like $1k. AEM looked at all the money they lost on the AEM Series 2 development for the EVO 8 and 9 and then looked at what the stock EVO X ECU can do for free and what the Tephra V2 can do for $50 and then looked at what would have to happen to do all the CAN bus integration (ACD, AYC, ABS, Traction Control, dash communication, ETAS ECU, fly by wire throttle body...) and went..."meh" They moved on to cars with owners that spend money. And mostly went towards applications for cars with owners that spend money and dont have other options. I dont know that they did a study weighted for lazy EVO X owners that would pay $4k for an ECU plus tuning just to be able to pump what evers ratios of gas and E85 into the tank. I'll have to go back and axe.

Mike W

Yeah that makes sense. Aem would probably loose lots of money on an ecu for the evo 10 since everyone just always runs the stick ecu. Is it every going to be possible to inter grate flex fuel into the stock ecu?

When the aem series 2 came out I got it new for $1200 for my s2000. Flex fuel sensor is only less tha $100. For a turbo s2000 that must purchase a stand alone ems there is added cost besides the sub $100 flex fuel sensor. Tuning does not cost any more than any other times you would normally get a dual map tune. I normally pay about $400-$500 for flex fuel tuning.

Since e85 is very limited in so cal I would be more than happy to buy a $1400 aem series 2 for the evo 10 if they made it. Flex fuel realy is the greatest thing in a high powered turbo car.

SoCalEvo.net Shop

So AEM Series 2 you would be cool with no functioning dash and gauges and no ECU communications with the ACD, AYC, ABS, A/C, traction control and anti theft systems? You would hook up fan control on your own. These $400-$500 dual map standalone flex fuel tunes would also give you a fully functioning fly by wire throttle control?

Mike W

Quote Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
    So AEM Series 2 you would be cool with no functioning dash and gauges and no ECU communications with the ACD, AYC, ABS, A/C, traction control and anti theft systems? You would hook up fan control on your own. These $400-$500 dual map standalone flex fuel tunes would also give you a fully functioning fly by wire throttle control?

Mike W
    If aem came out with a series 2 ems for the evo 10 im sure it would countrol the dash and gauges, ac system and it controls the cooling fans, i know my series 2 ems for my s2000 does. Are you saying the aem series 2 does not do this for other cars?? that does not make any sense to me. I did loose the anti theft emobolizer when i went with an aem ems with my s2000. I'm not sure what you mean by fully functioning fly by wire throttle control?

Here is my s2000 with my flex fuel setup. if your intrested

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/1091...ex-fuel-build/

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
    Cars
    5150 flexfuel tuned 14/ww CZ4A/07 CT9A MR
    its voodoo maagics!!!!!

Cars
    2010 Evo X SE
    I'm not sure what you mean by fully functioning fly by wire throttle control?
    Your S2k has a throttle cable right? The Evo is drive by wire. I guess it is also controlled by the ECU. AEM didn't have to worry about that for the S2k.

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    If aem came out with a series 2 ems for the evo 10 im sure it would countrol the dash and gauges, ac system and it controls the cooling fans, i know my series 2 ems for my s2000 does. Are you saying the aem series 2 does not do this for other cars?? that does not make any sense to me. I did loose the anti theft emobolizer when i went with an aem ems with my s2000. I'm not sure what you mean by fully functioning fly by wire throttle control?

Here is my s2000 with my flex fuel setup. if your intrested

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/1091...ex-fuel-build/
    2000-05 s2k is not CAN BUS like the Evo x. That is the big difference. CAN BUS introduces a whole different level of complexity.

Arcadia Meet Coordinator
    Cars
    2014 Evo X MR WW, 1995 Toyota Tercel
    i heard 5150 was working on a flex fuel solution and should be ready soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast