Thread: Brakes squeaking

Cars
    Mitsubishi Evo VIII

Brakes squeaking

Whats up people, So a couple days ago my brakes started to make the most irritating noise mankind has ever heard. I mean it was so bad that it would make people jump in a parking lot. Anyways the brakes would only squeak if they're cold, and would stop after a few grabs. Im not so great with brembo brakes considering the fact that I've only had my car for about 2 months now. Any who, I checked my brake pads they seem to still have some life on them. Doubt its the rotors. One of my friends told me that to replace the brake pads you need to rebuild the whole brembos with it.

-P.S this is my first post lol

Cars
    RS Evolution IX Rally Red
    Welcome to So Cal Evo

You have an Evo 8 nice

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    No you do not have to rebuild the calipers when you change your pads! LOL. My god, that would have been a hilarious, albeit tragic, design flaw. These calipers were used on several other cars, including but not limited to 04-08 TL 6MT all, 07-08 TL-S, 350Z/G35, STi, 04-07 CTS-V, Camaro SS, Audi TT-RS, the list goes on. No chance of a manufacturer using a caliper that required a rebuild at every pad change in this day and age.

With regard to your squeaking, could be a number of things, and maybe not easy to diagnose over the computer, for me anyway. First thing i would do, beside making sure nothing is loose or missing, would be to inspect the surface where the piston acts on the pad. Generally when you do a pad change, you would put some compound there to help keep things interacting smoothly. We like this stuff at work: http://www.heeltoeauto.com/3m-brake-...oz-net-wt.html

Some compounds don't deal with high heat as well as others and can become less effective over time.

Cars
    Mitsubishi Evo VIII
    Hey Apex thanks for the help. Yeah I found it unreasonable to rebuild the whole brake instead of just replacing the pads. I guess my friends are more clueless than I am.. Lol. Ima go check it out soon hopefully its nothing too crazy. The brake pads seem fine, I will try the braking lube to see if that stops the squeeking. There seems to be a little rust on the outside of the rotos, not on the part where the brakes grab though. You think it might be that? Brakes seem to really suck and have to smash them for a hard stop.

Cars
    2011 BMW 328i, 1966 Ford Mustang 302, 2014 EVO X GSR
    My brakes have also started squeaking loudly under light braking only, and more so when it's cold. As apex stated def no need to mess with rotors. Since I was doing bolt on installs this week, I decided to just replace the pads. Although my stockies are grabbing just fine, I figured I would swap them out. They may have been seated and broken in improperly, so if you do change pads, be sure to break them in according to what the specific manufacturing company suggests and good luck. Also that compound should be included usually with the new pads, at least the hawk pads for my intended street use only did.

Cars
    Mitsubishi Evo VIII
    Did the squeeking stop after replacing the pads? Any tips on what pads to get for good performance and quality?

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    As long as the rotors are at or above the minimum thickness and don't have too much run out (straight and true, not warped), i wouldn't touch em.

New pads and a thorough fluid flush would be a good place to start, both to address the noise issue as well as hopefully improve pedal feel and response. The pads may not be the source of the noise, but hopefully whoever does the pad change will be able to spot any other potential issues while they're in there.

There's a number of good street sport pads. A lot of guys seem to like the Stoptech Street Performance, and they are very reasonably priced. Same goes for Hawk HPS but it think they might be a little pricier. Another good one is the Racing Brake ET500. That is a good compound. There are more great options too, those are just a few examples. That's one of the cool things about these calipers...plenty of options.

Cars
    2011 BMW 328i, 1966 Ford Mustang 302, 2014 EVO X GSR
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
    Did the squeeking stop after replacing the pads? Any tips on what pads to get for good performance and quality?
    Just have to search for what you planning on using the car for, example, the hawk hps I got are good for my needs because I only use my car as a daily driver, and don't drive my car that hard. However these would be a terrible choice for extremely hard driving or track use. So just have to do some research. And I'm replacing pads Tuesday, and I'm more than confident this will stop the squeaking. But again, it's not the only possible source of the noise, so will have to do closer inspection with brake assembly and wheel off. What apex said, lots of possibilities and options.

I just changed my oem pads at 16000 miles on my x and replaced them with hawk hps front and back. After break in they started screeching like crazy. I took them all off and reapplied a shit ton of brake grease to the back of the pads and shims. No squeaking anymore. You have to apply it liberally.

In almost 90% of cases of brake sqeaking after a change, it's usually due to not enough application of brake grease to the back of the pads and shims.
    2013 GG Evo X. Tuned by Cobb Tuning SoCal: 345 HP/360 TQ on 91, 382 HP/368 TQ on E-85.