Thread: Is HRE a true foreged wheel?

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
    Cars
    5150 flexfuel tuned 14/ww CZ4A/07 CT9A MR

Is HRE a true foreged wheel?

so where having this quam about HRE wheels, seeing the price and how they are the best wheel money can buy?

however, my colleague and I disagree on this matter: HRE techniques are more akin to CNC-work on a 6061-t6 billet aluminum block. this is not forged. to my understanding, the process is about heat/cooling and pressure applied to a shape. that allows molecular alignment to said shape, which yields increased hardness.

lets use iron for our base. if you shape iron in to a sword its good, but by using a forged process you reach levels far greater then the original metal. however it limits the malleable docile traits, in favor of a stronger yield. which is why you don't use forged iron in decorative fences since it would be to hard to work with.

so, im gonna quote chip foose "I don't forge wheels because I would only be able to make a few styles, billet cold milling allows me a gazillion options for styles and still be a very strong product."

here is HRE factory video on you tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_wAyKp79BA they take a tempred T6-billet(from a bulk supplier) and mill, then cold spin them to size end of production. no heat aging or after production temper.

I don't in anyway say or think HRE wheels are not strong, or race proficient only that: they are not truly a forged wheel. at most they should use the term cold forged from some unknown tempered stock?

I tried to find TUV VS JWL+R/I/II but I couldn't find anything. TUV is a very accomplished rating, but you don't have to be forged or have it for every wheel you make either.

also over half their catalog is low pressure cast, and flow formed wheels with some 3k+ price tag.
    Last edited by jiGGypiGGy; 05-08-2015 at 05:34 PM.

Cars
    WW IX MR, Honda Accord
    Yeah most of your current evo owners only know about rota, xxr, mb, and enkei
    KT Motoring'Robispec

Fast cars drag race, fast drivers road race.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
    Cars
    5150 flexfuel tuned 14/ww CZ4A/07 CT9A MR
    Quote Originally Posted by Azian View Post
    Yeah most of your current evo owners only know about rota, xxr, mb, and enkei
    yes but we understand what they are, and make no mistakes on what is being paid for. there is a lot of new niche wheels like ADV.1 whom self lauded as TUV..etc..etc... but we really don't know.

its all good we all have budgets and buy within them, we know if we buy a rota what it is, were are not tricked.