Thread: Large plastic covering under the evo 10 engine

Large plastic covering under the evo 10 engine

Anyone know the name? Is it there for aerodynamics or to prevent debris from getting under the car?

A while back I read a news article that NASCAR banned full under car plates due to higher speeds at the racetrack but can't seem to find the news article.

Anyone I would be appreciative of any information.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
    Cars
    5150 flexfuel tuned 14/ww CZ4A/07 CT9A MR
    both, and you can get after market ones too. there is a three piece one, that ends in with a rear diffuser. there is a lot of one piece aluminum ones for like 350 bucks or so.

I think they are more used for protection

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    ^Negative sir. While they do add a degree of protection, you'll find plastic ones that aren't meant to serve as skidplates on many high performance street cars, such as the Evo. They not only help with aerodynamics, but also cooling. The Evo has a pretty impressively designed Front Undertray, as they're commonly known. They are specially formed with guides to direct air at brakes and drivetrain components to help cool them, as well as direct air through heat exchangers. They also help to reduce front end lift by reducing turbulent air underneath the front of the car.

Cars
    2011 Evolution MR
    This thing?

Under cover - 5379A167

Actually probably this whole mess... Linkie

I know SSP sells a one and two piece aluminum replacement too
    Last edited by Tristan Holtz; 01-10-2017 at 12:34 AM. Reason: additional info

Cars
    Yeah, that whole mess looks about right.
    The rigid/metal ones seem like they might be a good idea if you are doing really high speed stuff, like 1/2 mile racing (so long as you are able to fasten them well) but they don't usually have all the nifty contours and ducting like the Stock one, as those details are more difficult to manufacture into the metal ones.

GTR guys have problems with their stock plastic undertrays above 180mph, hence my logic above. If you aren't doing that stuff, i'd probably just go with the lightweight, durable, nicely fitting and effective stock piece.

Cars
    This is an VIII undertray, but I doubt the X undertray de-evolved.

Duct to transaxle

Duct to txfr case

Air being guided towards brake/hub

Even has this cool contour to help guide air through, as opposed to below/around the FMIC.