Thread: 2 new tires instead of 4?

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2004 Evo 8 GSR, 2001 Cadillac Deville

2 new tires instead of 4?

my 2 front had really bad thread and the rear probably had 40%. Didnt want to chuck them yet since they were still pretty good. The sales rep warned me (though not proven) that my driveshaft could damaged if i didnt buy all 4. I thought that was BS. because the fronts usually get worn out much more than the rears anyways and we are all essentially driving with different thread life in front vs back. When he told me that i thought it was just a ploy to buy 4 tires now. He even had me sign a waiver if anything happened to my car they wouldnt be responsible. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Junior Moderator

Cars
    Evo 8/9
    Yes this isn't a myth. All 4 tires are recommended to be changed in our cars. It's also recommended to swap front to rear and rears to fronts every oil change to avoid odd tire wear
    Pictures on all for sale/for trade threads is being enforced!

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    first of all its not the driveshaft that will get damaged. it would be the center differential, because of the relative differences in the speed in which the tires rotate when they vary in size/diameter. if the fronts and rears are spinning at measurable different speeds, the center diff will constantly be under load to try and maintain the 50/50 split. that is what will eventually damage the center differential. think towing the Evo with two wheels off the ground. extreme example, but you get the picture.

realistically, you dont want a big of a difference between the front and rear tread. thats why its always recommended we rotate the tires on the evo. at most you want a difference of 3-4%. 40% is a pretty big number, but it wont break your center diff. you'd have to be pretty much running on the rims on one end and full treads on the other to throw off the difference in speeds between the fronts and rears to screw up the diff.

my recommendation, just get a set of 4. think about it, by the time you wear down the fronts to 40%, the rears would be bald. dismount the rears, save them as a spare tire and just get a whole new set of 4.

Sportback Evolution MR

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2004 Evo 8 GSR, 2001 Cadillac Deville
    Thanks you guys are AWESOME!

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    first of all its not the driveshaft that will get damaged. it would be the center differential, because of the relative differences in the speed in which the tires rotate when they vary in size/diameter. if the fronts and rears are spinning at measurable different speeds, the center diff will constantly be under load to try and maintain the 50/50 split. that is what will eventually damage the center differential. think towing the Evo with two wheels off the ground. extreme example, but you get the picture.

realistically, you dont want a big of a difference between the front and rear tread. thats why its always recommended we rotate the tires on the evo. at most you want a difference of 3-4%. 40% is a pretty big number, but it wont break your center diff. you'd have to be pretty much running on the rims on one end and full treads on the other to throw off the difference in speeds between the fronts and rears to screw up the diff.

my recommendation, just get a set of 4. think about it, by the time you wear down the fronts to 40%, the rears would be bald. dismount the rears, save them as a spare tire and just get a whole new set of 4.
    Exactly, well said.

Yeah, I'd heard this before and it's true. Same thing when people post up if they can buy staggered size rims from Nissan guys or if it matters if they fit different sidewall heights. Narrower tire up front, bigger tire in the rear can cause the same strain on the center diff.