Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone replace Airbag due to recall?

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    evo 9

Anyone replace Airbag due to recall?

I took car in for timing belt change at the dealer couple months ago and no recalls were pending on my car. Just the other day I got a letter for recall of the airbags. I believe it's the takata airbags which I read can be seriously dangerous. So busy with work and lazy not to mention hate trusting to leave my car at places. I'm debating taking my car in. Supposedly a 2 hour turn around time. Anyone out there done it yet?

I called a few dealerships, Southcoast told me the parts were back ordered....yeah right. Another dealership told me Mitsubishi has not authorized them to start replacing them until July 1st.

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    evo 9
    I been busy working everyday. Hopefully I'll remember to call. I'm in south san diego so if I get an answer I'll post it.

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    They probably are backordered. They have been in short supply for quite a while. One dealer i work with has been going through airbag recall hell for the last several months. Been watching them pull their hair out over this.

These are Takata bombs waiting to be sent for disposal. This is a small fraction. The rest of this parts dept. is full up as well, literally the whole warehouse is littered with em. It's insane, they're everywhere.

Wish I could pay a shop to do it instead of getting it for free at a dealer by workers who don't give a shit.

What do I disconnect to just disable the thing?

Cars
    Which cars are under recall? We originally reported that Mitsubishi was recalling 2004-2005 Lancer compact cars and 2006-2007 Raider pickup trucks. On May 28, Mitsubishi expanded the Lancer recall to include passenger airbags on 2004-2006 models built from Aug. 4, 2003, through Aug. 28, 2006. The expansion also included Lancer Evolution models built from Feb. 11, 2004, through Sept. 1, 2006, and Lancer Sportback hatchbacks built from Aug. 4, 2003, to Jan. 23, 2004.

On May 27, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles expanded the Raider recall to include the 2006-2011 model years. The Raider is closely related to the Dodge Dakota and was built in affiliation with then-DaimlerChrysler (now FCA). Dodge is an FCA brand.

Previously, Mitsubishi "had a regional campaign going" on the Lancer, Fedorak said. "It's going to go to a national campaign now."

Which airbags are in the recall? Mitsubishi is recalling both the driver and front passenger airbags on the Lancer, Fedorak said. For the Raider, it's just the driver-side airbag.

You can check your VIN here:
    https://www.mitsubishicars.com/owner...e?q=recallinfo

Dealer told me they can only do two recalls a day, because they have to take the whole dash apart. So dealer is booked until August at Cerritos Mitsubishi. Expect to leave your car there all day.

SoCalEvo.net Vendor

Cars
    evo
    I would love to see them inspect my evo for this recall seeing as I have a full cage and all airbags removed lmao

I have been following this airbag recall on here and on evolutionm where it has quite a few posts. Post #77 here is exactly what I want to avoid with a tune. The summarized version is that basically a guy took his car in for the airbag recall. He specifically stated over the phone and again in person at the service dept to carryout only the airbag recall. He requested not to do the recall on the ecu for rich afrs. Basically they called him back later on saying the car cranks but wont start. Yea I know, we ALL know...

The guy has a SD tune along with whatever else the strange thing is that he even tried to reflash the ecu himself, but he keeps getting a "no response to any code" error. Personally if I can get the part Ill do that crap myself.

July 1 Update/Edit: Culprit was a fuse near the steering wheel.
    Last edited by lokimr; 07-01-2015 at 04:01 PM.

Chuck Norris can make a woman climax by simply pointing at her and saying "Boo-yah!"

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    I dont think that they will let you do the recall by yourself, and for sure they wont give you the part. Its a technicality. Sucks but that's just the way it goes. You just gotta watch them like a hawk if you do need to have it done.

Sportback Evolution MR

Cars
    240sx coupe (crashed), 240sx sr20det (sold), evo 8 mr

anyone else got a safety recall on thier evo 8 or 9?

Don't know if this is the right section to post but just received a letter about the passenger air bag recall. If anyone did get a letter where did you go? I live in highland park and the nearest dealer Is the Glendale one but had a bad experience there

Cars
    You should not be limited to just the Glendale dealership. You might try a different one.

Cars
    RS Evolution IX Rally Red
    Alot of unsafe Evo drivers heading to MOD

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    ...as long as you dont have a head on collision

Sportback Evolution MR

Cars
    240sx coupe (crashed), 240sx sr20det (sold), evo 8 mr
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Hunter View Post
    You should not be limited to just the Glendale dealership. You might try a different one.

Yeah I'm going to check other dealerships don't like going to dealers but if it's safety related have to, you never know what could happen

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatNewGuy View Post
    Yeah I'm going to check other dealerships don't like going to dealers but if it's safety related have to, you never know what could happen
    for something like this you should be fine going to the dealer of your choice. in my opinion, peace of mind is worth the drive.

Sportback Evolution MR

According to here, there are no airbag recalls for Mitsubishi http://www.edmunds.com/recalls/mitsubishi.html Also I have checked my VIN for recalls and nothing about airbags... At least not yet. Or am I missing something?

Cars
    Yes. First link also has a link where you can check your VIN.

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/recall

http://blog.caranddriver.com/massive...cted-vehicles/

Cars
    R.I.P WW EVO 9 RS
    I took my Evo in for the recall and they turned my down !!

Why did they turn you down?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast