Thread: Uphill crowned road parking for Oil Change?

Uphill crowned road parking for Oil Change?

Do you think it's OK to do an oil change on a slight uphill incline, in a crowned parking spot that's lower on the right? It's like effectively jacking up the front left of the car. On the 9 that would be towards the drain plug anyway, maybe it's even better to do it this way.

Thoughts? Impending catastrophe? Apartment manager doesn't let me touch the car in the garage anymore, and I live on the side of a hill.

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    My only worry is the car rocking and falling off the jackstands. So extra care with wheel blocks, parking brake and setting the car in gear before you jack it would be best. Also have someone spot the whole thing in case.

Sportback Evolution MR

Oh yeah I go all out, 4 jackstands, one hydraulic jack, 2 wheel blocks, parking brake, all of it.

I've seen what happens with BMW scissor jacks.

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    Should be fine, but yeah i'm gonna ditto the triple check on the support equipment. Once you've got it on all four, I'd give it the old earthquake test too.

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Hunter View Post
    Should be fine, but yeah i'm gonna ditto the triple check on the support equipment. Once you've got me on all four just like the way I like it, I'd like to be given the old earthquake test too.

Sportback Evolution MR

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    Oh shit we were talking about a car? I thought "changing the oil" was some kind of code.

I've done this more times than I'd like to. I shouldn't trust my wood chocks as much as I do.