Thread: Mitsubishi to stop building cars in the US according to reports

Ban Hammer

Cars
    Hybrid Power!

Mitsubishi to stop building cars in the US according to reports

DETROIT (Reuters) -- Mitsubishi Motors Corp., faced with declining U.S. demand and an expiring union contract at its only plant in North America, declined to comment Thursday on a report that it planned to end auto production in America.Japan's Nikkei news service said the move to cease production at Mitsubishi's factory in Normal, Ill., is part of a strategic shift to the growing Asian market.
    The company has "no statement," said a spokesperson for Mitsubishi Motors North America.
    The Nikkei report said Mitsubishi, one of Japan's smallest automakers, would look for a buyer for the plant, which opened in 1988 as a joint venture between Mitsubishi and its then-partner, Chrysler.
    http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...on-report-says
    Matrix Chat: @crankmosh:matrix.msghide.com
    http://www.facebook.com/SoCalEvo.net
    Please use the REPORT POST feature to report a post, PM does NOT work well

What cars were they building in the U.S.?

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    Dang, RIP Normal, IL plant. Holy land of the DSM. Don't know what they have been building there recently though.

Cars
    RS Evolution IX Rally Red
    No statement for their departure...huh

Just recently Mitsubishi apologized for the use of POWs in WWII

The only cars being build in the US I would say are those at our Local Tuner Shops.. That's for sure !

"Product lines built on the American developed Mitsubishi PS platform are produced at the Mitsubishi Motors North America production facility in Normal, Illinois. These lines include the Mitsubishi Eclipse , Endeavor SUV, and the Galant Sedan. This facility was formerly known as Diamond Star Motors, and was founded as a 50/50 co-op between Mitsubishi and Chrysler. In 1995 it was renamed the Mitsubishi Motors Manufacturing America after equity stake was purchased by Mitsubishi in 1993."
    -http://www.carsdirect.com/car-buying/where-are-mitsubishi-cars-built

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    it would make sense since there are reports/rumors that the next Lancer replacement would be co-developed with Nissan/Renault. shift all production back to asia, consolidate models and start making money first.

its not the first time an automaker did this. Nissan did this back then when Carlos Ghosn took the reigns. He closed several factories and laid off thousands of jobs. it was after he did all that and after restructuring the company, the FM (front midship) platform came to be, resulting in the 350Z, G35 and laid the development work for the return of the GT-R.

so, imo, i dont necessarily see this as a bad omen.

Sportback Evolution MR

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    and laid the development work for the return of the GT-R.
    Sweet! So Mitsubishi could be coming out with a turbocharged 4wd ca...wait...

Cars
    2005 Evo MR; '98 corolla
    Quote Originally Posted by revmore View Post
    Sweet! So Mitsubishi could be coming out with a turbocharged 4wd ca...wait...
    Pretty sure he said "return". It does make sense to invest where the company thinks there is more money.

Cars
    Evo IX MR - 2G Eclipse GST -3G Eclipse (Sold)
    I'm not sure, but as I remember Outlander Sport is built there. I think they only are building that Small SUV. However, Only if sales are huge, it worth to have a plant in the US. Manufacture quality is located in different countries, not just the top economies. Even though they need to have new products soon, but I don't see if they can for example move mirage manufacture to US or the new outlander. Hope for the best for IL forks

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
    Pretty sure he said "return". It does make sense to invest where the company thinks there is more money.
    Trying to be funny.
    failed.
    sorry.

Cars
    GG 9 MR. 08 Civic Hybrid
    Cars just won't be made here anymore but will still be imported from overseas?

Probably. It didn't say they were pulling out of the U.S., even though that has been speculated for a while.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
    Cars
    5150 flexfuel tuned 14/ww CZ4A/07 CT9A MR
    Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    it would make sense since there are reports/rumors that the next Lancer replacement would be co-developed with Nissan/Renault. shift all production back to asia, consolidate models and start making money first.

its not the first time an automaker did this. Nissan did this back then when Carlos Ghosn took the reigns. He closed several factories and laid off thousands of jobs. it was after he did all that and after restructuring the company, the FM (front midship) platform came to be, resulting in the 350Z, G35 and laid the development work for the return of the GT-R.

so, imo, i dont necessarily see this as a bad omen.

Mitsubishi fans or evo/4g fans? TBH, it was never the brand of car I really care about, its about the platform and build. what ever badger is on it, it don't matter. and as an official stock holder (tyo8058) I just lost money since they announced this, but like mac said, im not to worried about it.

DREAM: buy the factory, buy the IP: engineering rights to EVO 9'10's and continue production. build the 9 and 10 as different models and update them accordingly....

Evolution motor corpŠ

ADD: and the sport back too, there is a sexy car there somewhere, they just fucked it up, that one needs to more like the current outlander sport but squished the the ground.

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Great Movie!
    No evo no care!

SoCalEvo.net Vendor

Cars
    evo
    I hate to say it but the evo community shot itself in the foot because when Mitsubishi announced years ago the next evo(the Evo XI) it would be a diesel hybrid turbo. Everyone immediately threw out the idea and criticized Mitsubishi. I am pretty sure after seeing the numerous threads online and the overwhelming disregard for the new idea, add that to the pressure from world governments putting stricter regs on cars, as well as the decline of support for Mitsubishi car models I can easily see why they decided to stop production.

Chrysler and Mitsubishi still have a join venture called GEMA motors. And the factory is in the US. Now I would like to believe that maybe someday the "evo" will come back with a vengeance. And I do hope it is a diesel hybrid turbo. Imagine 500/500 instant power no matter what gear/rpm you are in. Mitsubishi even claimed the new evo would rival the GTR. Can you imagine an out of the box shitbox rivaling a GTR? lmao