Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post your traffic stop stories!

Post your traffic stop stories!

I'll start.

I was driving home from work on a cold winter night. Cold for Socal anyway. The car was feeling fast with all the cold air goodness rushing through the turbo. I drove past my house because I was enjoying myself. I came to a red light and an empty road in front of me. Zero cars. I say "fuck it"

1st BRAAp
    2nd BRAAAAP
    3rd BrAAAAAAAAP

I look in the rear view and I see a black and white turn onto the street hauling ass. I knew I was toast. I pull into a gated community's driveway, lapd pulls in behind me, and turns on the lights.

"License, registration, and proof of insurance" I give them up.
    "Why were going so fast?"
    "Car was feeling good."<--lol verbatim
    "I'm gonna ask you a question. Honesty counts here. Do you understand?" I nod
    "How fast were you going?"

In the past, I had done a lot of involuntary research into speeding tickets. With a cumulative 32 hours of traffic school under my belt, I knew the elements of a speeding ticket. The cop didn't have me on radar because he had pulled up to the intersection just in time to see me blitz it. He was also playing catchup and didn't have a pace speed. Any speed he wrote on a ticket would be a guess and whatever I said would be written down as a confession. I could fight this ticket in court and win. He had nothing on me. So how did I answer? I told him the truth. I looked at my rev meter, looked him in the eye, shrugged, and said:

"Top of third gear.That's about 80"

He looked at me for bit, said ok, and went back to the squad car. When he came back, he handed me my papers.
    "I'm gonna let you off with a warning because you were honest with me. Tell your friends there are cool cops out here."
    I nodded and thanked him.

I never had a cop ask me the speed question that way before. I weighed the options in my head, took a gamble, and won. Don't be just another lying asshole and I'll let you off kind of thing. Cops get lied to all the time e.g. "I dunno how fast I was going", "Only a coupla veers", "I didn't know she was 17!" Maybe the cop thought I was just a regular guy enjoying his fast car on a cold night and decided to give me a break. I thought the "cool cops" line was an oxymoron but he was a younger guy. Probably more jaded and cynical now. :P It was an interesting stop for me. It was also the first and only time I got pulled over in my 5 years with the evo. I deserved a helluva lot of tickets but luckily never got one.

Looking back now, maybe he thought I would tell this story to a lot of people. All those people confessing to speeding would certainly make his job easier. Well, now that I've told this story to a bunch of people. DON'T DO WHAT I DID. Follow the sticky on what to do when you get pulled over. I've gotten a lot of tickets and this was my only warning. The cop could have gone either way. But hey, sometimes you gamble and win.

Let's hear your stories.

Cars
    2006 WW EVO IX MR (sold), 2006 TB EVO IX SE
    only been pulled over once in the 2 yrs I've had my evo...knock on wood! this was back when I only had a catback. was going a lil fast on the 91 west and my registration sticker was old. got lit up so I exited Euclid and pulled over. younger CHP walks up and asked if he knew why he pulled me over. I said why. he said my registration was invalid. I told him the truth...my registration is valid but I misplaced the sticker. he ran it and said to go get a replacement sticker and he left me with a fix it ticket. on his way back to my window...he asked if I pass smog. I laughed and said yea...it's just a catback. well at the time it actually was. now? forget about it lol. he was actually really nice. best part of the story is here tho. after he let me go with just a fix it ticket...I drove off in search of a legal U turn opening. I come to a left turn lane and it states NO U TURNS but my brain shut off and I make one anyways. he had followed me the moment I pulled away cuz he needed to get back on the freeway. he also took the illegal U turn also and that's when I thought I was gonna get screwed lol but he sped by me and proceeded to give me a nod. I agree with the "not all cops are assholes" statement. I will have to say that it's an exception as opposed to a regularity
    Instagram @benyuan5

tuned by KT Motoring 5/9/2015, 1/20/2016

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    I've only got one that's halfway interesting, rest are typical annoying traffic stops.

Circa '03. I had a 94 Accord and had just swapped an H22A motor/trans combo into it a few months prior, and i thought it was fast. I was 19, so please take that into consideration. My roommate and i were heading back to Oceanside from a buddy's house in Encinitas, going North on El Camino Real through Carlsbad. It's like 4 in the morning, and we're stopped at the light, zero traffic in all directions, intersection of La Costa Ave/El Camino Real. So we're sitting there, and i see some headlights from what looked like a truck coming up fast. Like REALLY fast.

Light turns green. So it seemed like a good idea to stay ahead of the crazy asshole behind me who had to be doing double the speed limit (50mph). Admittedly i was a little high and kinda paranoid. I launched the car, wind out 1st and 2nd. He's still pulling on me but i've got this. Then i was almost at the top of 3rd and he was about 2 cars behind me. Then it all went to shit. My friend's like "Yo it's a cop! It's a cop!" I looked over my shoulder and sure enough. Carlsbad PD in a Ford Expedition. I started feeling sick about this time. Lights came on but i was already just pulling over.

Officer walks up to the window and i'm shitting my pants. As far as i could tell i had just raced a cop. He shines the flashlight on me and my friend and starts yelling. He was pissed. There was no "license and regsitration please" or "do you know why i pulled you over". It was "What the fuck are you doing, etc".....(So I'm like ok think fast)....i told him i saw him coming up fast and thought he was drunk, so i was trying to keep my distance. He took my license and reg and went back to his truck. Meanwhile my friend and I were sitting there in stunned silence. Officer comes back and yells something like "next time you are driving around at 4 in the morning pull your head out of your ass! now get the fuck home!" And that was that. No ticket, no other dialogue, nothing. In retrospect, this was one of the luckiest incidents i've had with law enforcement, and probably makes up for everything else. We were both high, my friend was underage and had been drinking, we had a just shy of a 1/2 oz of weed stashed under the cupholder, and my friend's 4' tall glass bong riding in the trunk. Unbelievably stupid, and unbelievably lucky.

Cars
    '14 Evo X MR, '06 TSX, '99 Prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Hunter View Post
    I've only got one that's halfway interesting, rest are typical annoying traffic stops.

Circa '03. I had a 94 Accord and had just swapped an H22A motor/trans combo into it a few months prior, and i thought it was fast. I was 19, so please take that into consideration. My roommate and i were heading back to Oceanside from a buddy's house in Encinitas, going North on El Camino Real through Carlsbad. It's like 4 in the morning, and we're stopped at the light, zero traffic in all directions, intersection of La Costa Ave/El Camino Real. So we're sitting there, and i see some headlights from what looked like a truck coming up fast. Like REALLY fast.

Light turns green. So it seemed like a good idea to stay ahead of the crazy asshole behind me who had to be doing double the speed limit (50mph). Admittedly i was a little high and kinda paranoid. I launched the car, wind out 1st and 2nd. He's still pulling on me but i've got this. Then i was almost at the top of 3rd and he was about 2 cars behind me. Then it all went to shit. My friend's like "Yo it's a cop! It's a cop!" I looked over my shoulder and sure enough. Carlsbad PD in a Ford Expedition. I started feeling sick about this time. Lights came on but i was already just pulling over.

Officer walks up to the window and i'm shitting my pants. As far as i could tell i had just raced a cop. He shines the flashlight on me and my friend and starts yelling. He was pissed. There was no "license and regsitration please" or "do you know why i pulled you over". It was "What the fuck are you doing, etc".....(So I'm like ok think fast)....i told him i saw him coming up fast and thought he was drunk, so i was trying to keep my distance. He took my license and reg and went back to his truck. Meanwhile my friend and I were sitting there in stunned silence. Officer comes back and yells something like "next time you are driving around at 4 in the morning pull your head out of your ass! now get the fuck home!" And that was that. No ticket, no other dialogue, nothing. In retrospect, this was one of the luckiest incidents i've had with law enforcement, and probably makes up for everything else. We were both high, my friend was underage and had been drinking, we had a just shy of a 1/2 oz of weed stashed under the cupholder, and my friend's 4' tall glass bong riding in the trunk. Unbelievably stupid, and unbelievably lucky.
    That's a wild story. Never knew you were such a wild man back in the day lol

Geez that could've ended a lot worse. Great story!

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    evo 9
    Man those stories take me back... 19 and high lol, and the honesty with the cops..
    I had a few incidents and have learned a thing or 2. Highway patrol is 10 times cooler than Prolly any prick cop on the street just trying to write you up for a come filter. I've had my license suspended twice. The first time was 30 days and took the bus and trolley to work the second time was another 30 days that I had obeyed again up until the last week when the DMV decides to send me a letter in the mail to suspend my license for 5 more months (6) total due to too many points on my record.
    Ok swear I'm not copying your story but my Dumbass also was trying to out run a cop on the freeway without knowing. I was 18 first lil fixed up civic hatch had to drop sister off at her house and make it back home to meet up wit friends to make it to movie on time. I bet my punk friends I could get there and back in like 20 min or some shit. So I was speeding past every car and noticed lights following me and just kept dodging em in and out of traffic. Last minute I signaled to get over onto the 94 west ramp that turns south to 805 and bam! Flashing lights. Highway patrol asks how fast were you goin and don't lie, straight to the point and everything. He says I know over 100.... In my head I'm like yeah slowing down from 125 lol. So I said yeah somewhere around there. He says would you say like 110? I said yeah I guess. Wrote me a ticket and was gone. Less than 10 min and still made home on time for movies.
    2nd ticket also for 110 mph (I think it's like a standard ticket based on double the old school speed limit of 55mph)... Anyways I traded my civic for a 98 gst. Oh yeah some bolts on and was Rollin hard now. I hit the speed limiter in this car over 10 times which was 140. My Dumbass friend who had a non turbo older Gen kept telling me top speed is only 130 or 135. So a lonely night on freeway wit my lil brother in the car I show em watch this and we just starring at the speedometer the whole time. BAM 140 and I let off and let her coast.... As soon as I let off I look to the shoulder and I just passed a cop doin 140. Fuck, I use e brake and down shift to slow down as to not show brake lights. Get pulled over and same scenario as last sotry. Ticket for 140 but lil more harsh.

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    evo 9
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmoes4g63 View Post
    Man those stories take me back... 19 and high lol, and the honesty with the cops..
    I had a few incidents and have learned a thing or 2. Highway patrol is 10 times cooler than Prolly any prick cop on the street just trying to write you up for a come filter. I've had my license suspended twice. The first time was 30 days and took the bus and trolley to work the second time was another 30 days that I had obeyed again up until the last week when the DMV decides to send me a letter in the mail to suspend my license for 5 more months (6) total due to too many points on my record.
    Ok swear I'm not copying your story but my Dumbass also was trying to out run a cop on the freeway without knowing. I was 18 first lil fixed up civic hatch had to drop sister off at her house and make it back home to meet up wit friends to make it to movie on time. I bet my punk friends I could get there and back in like 20 min or some shit. So I was speeding past every car and noticed lights following me and just kept dodging em in and out of traffic. Last minute I signaled to get over onto the 94 west ramp that turns south to 805 and bam! Flashing lights. Highway patrol asks how fast were you goin and don't lie, straight to the point and everything. He says I know over 100.... In my head I'm like yeah slowing down from 125 lol. So I said yeah somewhere around there. He says would you say like 110? I said yeah I guess. Wrote me a ticket and was gone. Less than 10 min and still made home on time for movies.
    2nd ticket also for 110 mph (I think it's like a standard ticket based on double the old school speed limit of 55mph)... Anyways I traded my civic for a 98 gst. Oh yeah some bolts on and was Rollin hard now. I hit the speed limiter in this car over 10 times which was 140. My Dumbass friend who had a non turbo older Gen kept telling me top speed is only 130 or 135. So a lonely night on freeway wit my lil brother in the car I show em watch this and we just starring at the speedometer the whole time. BAM 140 and I let off and let her coast.... As soon as I let off I look to the shoulder and I just passed a cop doin 140. Fuck, I use e brake and down shift to slow down as to not show brake lights. Get pulled over and same scenario as last sotry. Ticket for 140 but lil more harsh.
    Forgot to mention the 2nd ticket I got 2 violations. One read for going over the speed limit or something. Second read for goin over double the speed limit. Man I got my ass handed to me in court. I was the last person to be heard out of like 25 people with their sorry ass sob stories.. then I go up and she reads my ticket and people's reactions like wtf and silence. So I'm like everyone else tickets are getting reduced in half, let me ask my question.. "judge you think you can take off the first violation, cause if I'm going double the speed limit it's obvious I'm goin over the regular speed limit. You know so I can reduce my fine" Man that broad said are you serious? There's no way! You love to do this, thus is what you do and I have your record in front of me. Gave me a Lil more lecture and said pay the whole fine and leave your license with the clerk. Lol I'm legit I paid all my tickets and po-po ain't got nothing on me.

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    evo 9
    Ok it's late and I'm bored so story for a 3rd ticket. Had just got my license back after 1 day of having it being suspended. At this time still rolling in the gst but with electric cut out at the downpipe. Friends all wit modified cars roll to bowling alley and act an ass turning fast as the stop light turned green. We look to our left and cop sitting in turning lane to go another direction. We all park and hurry our assess inside. 2 or 3 hours later we come out after some bowling and pool. We are all fired up its like 1 or 2 in morning silent dead pitch black street. I open the cut out and make a pass down the street sounding like a semi after my friends car and close the cut out as I come to a stop. I turn and a black shadow just cut my friends car off behind me. Damn cop turned his lights on and flags over. I grin and smile as he says oh you just got your license back. He's like pop the hood your car is too loud. Black intercooler pipes, and all he sees is a used K &N filter and he looks baffled... He gave me a damn ticket to go tothe smog referee and for noise violation. I returned all to stick and put in silencer in exhaust. Passed all!!! Like I said Rollin legit!! Lol have fun be careful guys.

Cars
    R.I.P WW EVO 9 RS
    Here's my story...
    i was driving my modded Evo 9 and I got pulled over got a huge ticket cuz cops are bitches.

TH END

Sounds like profiling. Better call Saul.

Cars
    BBY Evo VIII- Gone to greener pastures Black FX35 10' AS GSR
    Summer 09...driving around my "modded" IS300. I was in Yucca Valley heading down to Six Flags (long ass drive) and as you are leaving Yucca there is a steep ass hill with a sign that says "Watch down hill speed". Well I proceded to laugh while saying "Haha Watch down hill speed"...pretty stupid if you ask me. Anywho my wife and buddy laugh and I mash the gas pedal into the floor board...70,80,100,110,125... and I let off. Well shit, out of nowhere there is now flashing lights behind me like 4-5 car lengths away. I was like FUCK...and just started to pull over. Officer walks up, no introduction, just "95 in a 60, license, registration and proof of insurance" gave her my stuff she walked away; 5 minutes later came back with my ticket. Said "I know you were going well above 95, thats what I clocked you at, sign here" That cost me like 412 dollars...

Then there was this time I was in Palm Springs and I was the DD that night. Well on our way back to 29 palms, I got us lost. It was my first time in the area. Well I get pulled over and we pull into a gas station. I was legimtimetly sober, not the usual who is least drunk. I had 1 beer 6 hours prior at dinner; but my 3 buddies in the car were absolutely trashed, and you could smell it from a block away.

So the cop comes up does the normal schpeel, and asks if I have been drinking. I said no, but since the car smelled like a brewery he had probable cause to do a sobriety test. Well, as I start the test, my one buddy gets out of the car.

Officer: Sir, get back in the car and remain there!

Buddy: Natures calling man...

Officer: Your going to have to call him back, now return to the vehicle.

So now he tells me to walk in a straight line touching heel to toe...well fuck me running...I TRIP ON MY OWN FOOT!!!! SERIOUSLY? He asks me if I am sure that I haven't been drinking, which I respond "Yes sir, I am positive. I would like to do a breathlizer" He agrees and I blow 0.000. He asks where Im headed and I tell him 29 Palms, and he was like "your going the wrong way brother"

Fast forward about an hour and we are rolling up to the main gate at the base. Its about 3:30am and as Im handing our IDs to the gate guard, my buddy (the one who tried getting out of the car earlier) opens the door and pukes his brains out all over the boots of the gate guy. WTF! He waved us through and that was that.
    Last edited by Jcherb686; 09-06-2015 at 11:26 PM.

Elevendy Billion AWHP/RRE Flux Capacitor

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    ^LOL that was good.

Last friday female cop in an suv gets pissed off cuz we both move at the same time but she acts like I just cut her off. After pulling me over the female cop looks at my tip (the car's) and says your exhaust is modified. I say I know but it's quiet, which I said to let her know that it meets the 92 db law for loud exhausts. I'm running the RRE stealth exhaust btw. So then her response is "All modifications are illegal". I'm like Really? She says yes. So my reaction is Wow, this cop really has no training or this is what all cops are being taught. I could have a stock exhaust with a different tip but it would still be illegal since "All modifications are illegal". Anyone else been told this? Btw, I always get asked "Is this your car?" because I'm late 40's and everyone acts like my car should be driven by an 18 year old.

Actually she is right to a point. A citation for a modified exhaust though can be waved by the courts if a certificate of noise level is produced matching your exhaust type. You have two sections that are somewhat confusing since they go back and forth, but in the end any modification can result in a citation for 27151(a) CVC. This can be reversed in court but the citation in the field it acceptable.

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor
    vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted
    by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance
    with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits
    established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with
    Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an
    exhaust system so modified.
    (b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor
    vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less
    than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or
    less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers
    Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle
    exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to,
    nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

27150 CVC covers a lot more but in the end with a modified exhaust the burden falls upon the driver.

PS awesome that I am not the only old fart in an evo.

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Hunter View Post
    ^LOL that was good.
    Not only good it was amazing and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by rawger View Post
    Here's my story...
    i was driving my modded Evo 9 and I got pulled over got a huge ticket cuz cops are bitches.

TH END
    LOL..iono.why.i.found.this.funny

BUMP.

Little story about how I got pulled over last weekend.

I left Orange County last Saturday morning at 6am since I was going to visit my dad in Oxnard, but I figured I might as well go to the 8am class at the 24 Hour Fitness Super Sport there, since I had signed up last March at the Ultra Sport here so I'm really trying to milk it for every dollar. However, there was a crazy crash on the 405 near LAX earlier that morning, and it completely shut down the 405S and had the 405N (which I was on) closed down to maybe two lanes, since both sides were affected. By the time I got through it, it was already about 6:50am, so I drove faster to make up for the time.

I was going mostly 80-90 mph, and right before I was going to get on the 101N, I noticed in my right mirror a black SUV camping out on the onramp from Skirball, and immediately thought, I'm going to get lit up in a second. I had slowed down, but sure enough, the black SUV was right behind me, and it was CHP saying hello. The closest exit to me was the Ventura Blvd. one (which is right before the 101 onramps), so I pull over and immediately think of my options for excuses:

1. Tell him the truth about going to the class, but that the bad accident (which he'd probably know about) putting me behind schedule even though I left early. I ruled this out, since running late to a weekend class likely wasn't going to get me off the hook.
    2. Grab my stomach and pretend as if I needed to take a shit really bad. I also ruled this out, since I didn't know how believable it would be.

Before I could really think about it, the officer was already at my window even before I could shut off my car. But I did the usual... windows down, hazards on. Cop asks for my stuff, so I hand my license over (which was already in my hand), pull my insurance from the visor, but then tell him that my registration is in the glovebox while asking for permission to get it. I forgot that I hadn't changed my address and told him, so he wrote it down on my registration.

He goes back and it's already been a few minutes and in my rearview it looks like he's still writing, so I figure I'm not getting off the hook, and that I'd have to again do another TBD and maybe have to go to court (if I don't win the TBD) in LA. But the officer was pretty cool... he comes back saying that he's only going to give me a ticket for my info not being up-to-date (and he said it's correctable, so I just need to fix it and get the ticket signed) and just a verbal/written warning for going 82, which was pretty cool of him. I said that it was kind of him and thanked him, and I was on my way.

So while I'm sure that me being courteous helped, I think that me being lazy and not having updated my address is probably a big factor of how I got out of the speeding ticket, since probably from his point of view, he's still giving out a ticket but also cutting me a break since I was cool about it. I guess me shutting up worked out.

You forgot one.

3. Blame it on the unicorn frappe

unicorn.jpg

ANOTHER BUMP.

So I got pulled over again. This time, I was coming back from Santa Barbara going to OC but I again stopped by Oxnard to get breakfast with my dad. It’s during the commuting hours so I took PCH.

So I’m driving and even passed one of those digital speed displays and I thought, I should slow down before I get stopped. Sure enough I see a motorcycle cop in front of me, but they can get your speed before you pass them so even though I slowed down, he already got me.

He pulls me over pretty quickly and I do the usual, same as I said in my post above. Except this time, when he saw me I was wearing sunglasses but I made sure to take them off and leave them on the dashboard. He said I was going 68 (in a 50).

Before he asks for my license (which I had literally just gotten that day), he asks, “Is this a Lancer?” I said yes, but it’s the Evolution model. He asks for my license and told me to have my insurance and registration when he gets back.

A minute later, he comes back and grabs my other documents, and he says, “Help me out here, I know these cars and WRXs, and a lot of them don’t have front plates. I haven’t looked at yours, but if you tell me that you don’t have one, I’ll take your word for it and ticket you for that instead.” I confirm, and he hands me over a ticket with speeding crossed out and with no front plate instead (even though I have one).

He starts asking if the Recaros are stock and what my insurance rates are like, and it’s very clear he’s a car guy. He also said he too had a “loud car” but we didn’t talk too much about it.

He drove ahead and turned around, and we both waved. Really cool guy, I wasn’t expecting to get let off of a speeding ticket. I would gladly take the fix-it ticket.

Personally I think the fact that he knew I had taken my sunglasses off for him was a respectful thing and I feel like that was a factor in him not ticketing me for speed.

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
    ANOTHER BUMP.

So I got pulled over again. This time, I was coming back from Santa Barbara going to OC but I again stopped by Oxnard to get breakfast with my dad. It’s during the commuting hours so I took PCH.

So I’m driving and even passed one of those digital speed displays and I thought, I should slow down before I get stopped. Sure enough I see a motorcycle cop in front of me, but they can get your speed before you pass them so even though I slowed down, he already got me.

He pulls me over pretty quickly and I do the usual, same as I said in my post above. Except this time, when he saw me I was wearing sunglasses but I made sure to take them off and leave them on the dashboard. He said I was going 68 (in a 50).

Before he asks for my license (which I had literally just gotten that day), he asks, “Is this a Lancer?” I said yes, but it’s the Evolution model. He asks for my license and told me to have my insurance and registration when he gets back.

A minute later, he comes back and grabs my other documents, and he says, “Help me out here, I know these cars and WRXs, and a lot of them don’t have front plates. I haven’t looked at yours, but if you tell me that you don’t have one, I’ll take your word for it and ticket you for that instead.” I confirm, and he hands me over a ticket with speeding crossed out and with no front plate instead (even though I have one).

He starts asking if the Recaros are stock and what my insurance rates are like, and it’s very clear he’s a car guy. He also said he too had a “loud car” but we didn’t talk too much about it.

He drove ahead and turned around, and we both waved. Really cool guy, I wasn’t expecting to get let off of a speeding ticket. I would gladly take the fix-it ticket.

Personally I think the fact that he knew I had taken my sunglasses off for him was a respectful thing and I feel like that was a factor in him not ticketing me for speed.
    glad you didnt get dinged for speeding. I'll gladly take fix it tickets over moving violation tickets.

Sportback Evolution MR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast