Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time to upgrade

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX

R&d did the machine work on my block and knifed the crank as well. They did lag but it's still going so that's good. Here is a link to my build. http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo...dge-build.html

Quote Originally Posted by amaev05 View Post
    R&d did the machine work on my block and knifed the crank as well. They did lag but it's still going so that's good. Here is a link to my build. http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo...dge-build.html

Thank you for the info and link to your build!! That's a solid build you have and it's really nice to see one that's held together for a good amount of time. I'm hoping I can get the same life out of my build as you are.

As for R&D, Ive accepted that it might take a little longer and I'm good with that. Im gonna cruise by his shop today to see if any progress has been made (it's nice that they are down the street).

Bryan
    Tscomptuned<br />E85--537HP 474TQ

Still nothing hu?

Still nothing hu?
    Well, machine work has started as of last week. I've been leaving town these last few weekends so no work has been done. I have a small to do list when I find some time and hopefully the engine work will be compete soon as well.

Bryan

One thing I'm having trouble deciding on is fuel type. E85 is what I've ran for the last three years with zero issues. Now that the car sits for long periods of time will it be ok to drive after that on E85? I know if I go race gas it's much more expensive but if you take into account that I'm only driving 500-1000 miles a year race gas isn't that much to purchase (I do get a family discount on race fuel as well). I know temps are lower on E85 due to increased fuel but also I won't have to go crazy with fuel upgrades with race gas. I'm leaning towards E85 but wouldn't mind switching if it seems to be superior (not taking price into account).

Cars
    Evo IX MR - 2G Eclipse GST -3G Eclipse (Sold)
    I'll ask tuner for recommendations. I'll use race gas only like insurance policy when you have long sitting time and crazy power. if you have an excellent experience with E85, I'll add fuel stabilizer for long sitting periods

Quote Originally Posted by evo_jfa View Post
    I'll ask tuner for recommendations. I'll use race gas only like insurance policy when you have long sitting time and crazy power. if you have an excellent experience with E85, I'll add fuel stabilizer for long sitting periods
    I did email Rick (Who will be tunning the car hopefully) a few weeks ago in hopes with a response to what he likes but haven't heard back yet. I will most likely go with what he recommends but would like to educate myself completely before making any decisions. I'm not sure what crazy power would be considered but I'm hoping for mid 500's and if I don't get near that it'll be off with the red and on with the black in due time. If I stick with E85 I'll be adding a Zeitronix ethanol content analyzer along with the upgraded injectors and fuel pump. Did you stick with just race gas for your application evo_jfa?

Bryan

Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanF View Post
    .... Did you stick with just race gas for your application evo_jfa?

Bryan
    I was planning to have a high octane tune with race gas, however currently I'm busy with other stuff, so I need to repair a few thing to be on the point to decide where I'll go. Shop tuner couldn't tune due issues with the car; Actually amaev05 help me to check a few things, however I was not able to continue with datalog. In my case I don't have E85 in a ratio of 100 miles, so race gas is the only high octane fuel available; therefore tuner selected race gas. But if I change the tuner, I'll pick E85 for sure. I'll buy lugs to carry on E85, add stabilizer and user it only in special occasions. I'm talking about stock bottom end, so I'll take easy with E85 or race gas

I've Ben on e85 since 2011 and I only drive the car maybe one a week car only has 35k on the od and I have not had any issues with my car. Personally I could never enjoy driving my car on race gas with the insane price it would cost. I'm sure you could buy a kick ass fuel system to support any power level on e85 for what it would cost to fill the tank just a few times with racing fuel. Unless you were going to run it strictly on race fuel you would still have to deal with the hassle of emptying the tank and a duel map tune 91/race fuel. If you want trouble free driving with any ethanol content mixture in your tank you can go with the fitronic flex fuel unit and get remote tune by tscomp or English racing.

I've Ben on e85 since 2011 and I only drive the car maybe one a week car only has 35k on the od and I have not had any issues with my car. Personally I could never enjoy driving my car on race gas with the insane price it would cost. I'm sure you could buy a kick ass fuel system to support any power level on e85 for what it would cost to fill the tank just a few times with racing fuel. Unless you were going to run it strictly on race fuel you would still have to deal with the hassle of emptying the tank and a duel map tune 91/race fuel. If you want trouble free driving with any ethanol content mixture in your tank you can go with the fitronic flex fuel unit and get remote tune by tscomp or English racing.
    Thank you for the info!! I'm really leaning towards sticking with E85 and just upgrading the current fuel system. I'll also make sure to add an ethonal analyzer to the car. I've never had any issues with the current set up on ethonal but I just wanted to keep my options open for the new build. It's hard to pass up that $2.49 a gallon right now anyways.

Bryan

Cars
    '03 TB Evo 8, '03 Honda Civic, & '07 Suby Outback
    Just make sure you run 91 every once in awhile. When i did my build there was a good amount of e85 sticky tar build up on my injectors but i ran e85 for about 4 years and my car was and still is daily driven. Its $2.29/gal in SD near my work.
    2.3 Manley 10.5:1 Pistons, Manley Turbo Tuff Rods, ID 2000, BR dbl pumper, AMS IC, FP black, Muellerized/GF Suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by jbenosa View Post
    Just make sure you run 91 every once in awhile. When i did my build there was a good amount of e85 sticky tar build up on my injectors but i ran e85 for about 4 years and my car was and still is daily driven. Its $2.29/gal in SD near my work.
    I actually pull my current injectors out at least once a year and have RC test and clean them. I haven't done it in about 14 months because I don't drive the car as much anymore. I would hate to loose an engine because of something that could be 100% prevented by inspecting and cleaning that cost a small amount.

Bryan

So, today I took a drive over to Costa Mesa R&D to see if any progress had been made with the machine work and when I arrived I was gretted by John with a finished head and the block being worked on. The pistons were ordered on the spot and will be here early next week (Weisco HD 2's). I only snapped this one photo but will get a few more next week when I drop the pistons off.

I also ordered my fuel system on Monday which was unexpected but the seller gave me a price that I couldn't refuse. I got a double pumper with all the lines and pumps along with FIC 2150cc injectors that are currently being inspected and tested at the buyers expense.

I also started a little project tonight with the turbo. I wanted to get the new cover on it before it goes out to be ported and this allowed me to take a look at it closer to see if it had any cracks in the MHI housing. I was a little surprised on how good everything looked when I got it apart...look no cracks!!

And me getting frustrated with the stuped snap ring and deciding to walk away and finish it tomorrow

Bryan

Got these guys in today and took them to the machine shop.
    Weisco Asymmetric HD2's

I'm waiting on my dad to drop his die grinder off and I'm gonna port mach all the manifolds myself along with the turbo. I'll have the next week or two free to do this. I'll post before and after pictures of all the work.

Bryan

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    Ooo, Fancy!

Block is looking nice too. :)

any updates yet? my motor turned into a gold mine after spinning all rod bearings a couple weeks ago at autoclub speedway. just wondering how it turned out with CM R&D. i dont really have endless time to wait for machine work.

Cars
    Sorry to hear that. Any known reason for the dead motor?

any updates yet? my motor turned into a gold mine after spinning all rod bearings a couple weeks ago at autoclub speedway. just wondering how it turned out with CM R&D. i dont really have endless time to wait for machine work.
    Car is finished and tuned. I made around the 600hp mark on E85 and I have 4k on the motor now. I haven't been driving it lately due to needing a new TOB for the Quartermaster...I've been lazy I guess. Costa Mesa R&D did a great job and the price was unbeatable. I did have to wait a good amount of time to get the motor and head back. If you're time crunched I would have to say be cautious with using John, as he does take some time to get things done. Maybe if you stay on top of John and bug him (Go to the shop) he will get it done for you in a reasonable amount of time. This whole project took me five months to get finished and most of the down time was machine work. I hope you get your motor fixed up and running strong again.

Bryan

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast