Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time to upgrade

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    Glad to hear this one panned out well for you, sounds healthy.

Didn't go so well for a friend of mine who tried having them do some work last year, but maybe there is more to the story than i know. So i'm also glad to see that they are still doing quality work.

Yeah, I was nervous because of what you said before. I can't think of anything they did that I could say was bad besides the time it took. He actually helped me with a few other things for no charge as well.
    Tscomptuned<br />E85--537HP 474TQ

It's been a while since I really posted any updates. Car is runnig great and I'm now getting it ready to do some auto cross events. Here's some more photos of the engine build.
    Getting everything pulled apart so the motor can come out.

Its out!! This was tough to do by myself.

new motor being assembled.

oil pan on and timing all done.

Will be using the s2's from the old motor. I might go with the GSC R2 cams for a stroker motor...can't decide.

Old vs New

Cars
    06 IX
    Looks fun! Thanks for the share.

Cars
    Yeah, glad to see some pics!

Sorry I haven't followed through with more updates as I been out of town for a while. Below are some pictures of the progress made.

Manifolds back from coating and porting from Socalpoting.

Painted my intake pipe wrinkle black

Just before the engine went back in I got everything mocked-up and took a break.

Engine went in smooth and took about three hours by myself. It would have been much easier with a person to help...Maybe next time!

I spent close to two day's getting everything buttoned up and ready for the initial start-up. The photo below was just before I started it and doing some last minute checks on everything. Note the intake that's installed as I will get into that evil thing later!

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    looks good man

Sportback Evolution MR

Cars
    Evo IX MR - 2G Eclipse GST -3G Eclipse (Sold)
    I see more common to see more black engine bay recently.. not many want to look blues or other bright colors. so far the powder coating looks outstanding.

Cars
    Something about that upper charge pipe i like a lot. The way it's all positioned/routed just has some nice fung shui going on.

Quote Originally Posted by evo_jfa View Post
    I see more common to see more black engine bay recently.. not many want to look blues or other bright colors. so far the powder coating looks outstanding.
    I love the orginal color of the valve cover but I wanted to keep it neutral just in case I get pulled over. Painting the valve cover was seriously the hardest part of this whole project. Also, no powder coating, I did all the painting on this project and so far it's all holding up nicely.

Apex Hunter,

That was built for my ARC intake but now it routes differently for a cleaner look. I had to take the car to San Diego to get the fabrication work done, so that was temporary. I'll post a picture up later today of the final setup.

Bryan

Cars
    ^ ASC fabrication?

Quote Originally Posted by evo_jfa View Post
    ^ ASC fabrication?
    No, it's not ASC. It's a good friend of mine thats built my exhaust, intercooler, and piping from before. His shop was called Time Machine Racecraft. He mostly works on Adam Corollas Datsuns and a few other clients that rally race but will fit me in as long as I give him advance notice.

Cars
    GG EVO IX MR
    looking good man. props for doing it all on your own

Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanF View Post
    No, it's not ASC. It's a good friend of mine thats built my exhaust, intercooler, and piping from before. His shop was called Time Machine Racecraft. He mostly works on Adam Corollas Datsuns and a few other clients that rally race but will fit me in as long as I give him advance notice.
    Nice! AC has some awesome stuff. I was hoping to see them up at RMMR/Laguna Seca this past week, but they pulled out of the race. Something about Adam buying Paul Newmans 935 :O

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Hunter View Post
    Nice! AC has some awesome stuff. I was hoping to see them up at RMMR/Laguna Seca this past week, but they pulled out of the race. Something about Adam buying Paul Newmans 935 :O
    Yeah, it's always fun going to my buddy's place and looking around. He seems to always have some nice rides around along with his Rx4 and silvia. Heres some pictures he sent me the other day.

Glory day's and what it'll look like when it's all done

Quote Originally Posted by finaldestinat View Post
    looking good man. props for doing it all on your own
    Thank you!!

So, I drove the car to San Diego sometime ago and had the intercooler piping re-routed so the engine bay would be not as messy. I decided to use the intake setup that I noted to remember from a few post back and this proved to be a really bad idea. I took the car around the block and heard a loud ringing noise from the engine bay, so I headed home and shut the car down. When I started looking around I noticed the cap to the intake filter was gone!!! it had sucked into the turbo and destroyed the turbine wheel completely. So, this lead me to taking the intercooler, manifolds, and all piping off to clean them and installing my stock turbo back on for break in. I wanted to find the company and burn their building down but decided against this once I calmed down. Heres some shots of the aftermath and this is another reason the turbo was rebuilt to what it is now.

The stupid cap.

Where it's supposed to be!!

Turbo damage (looks like a good port job though!).

Once that was all taken care of and I rescheduled to have my piping all finished all was good. Here's a few photo's of the finished product.

Painted it up when I got home

As it sits now.

After that whole setback was finished and the turbo was rebuilt (Ruben @ SocalPorting) and installed I started the break-in process. I put just over a thousand miles on the car and did three oil changes in that time with only a few loose odds and ends that needed to be corrected. I decided to go with Tom (Tscomptuned), as I had some issues with another tuner and getting a proper break in map, which proved to be a total waste of $100. Tom sent me a break-in map that ran flawless on 91 octane. My father and I then took the car out for tuning and spent about 5-6 hours on this. I was exhausted and ready to be done and Tom insisted on doing more fine tuning to get things right. He was very meticulous and straightforward with how he works, which I really respected. I would recommend him to anyone as his work ethic and tuning is great!! I could of went for more power but we decided to stop at 540hp and 444tq. We did a pull in 4th gear and the car sat right around the 600hp mark if I can remember correctly. The dyno graph below was generated with three people in the car (Dad wanted to show a friend the car) hence the weight being a tad high.

The car has been running great but I did run into some problems with the Quartermaster clutch which is going to be rebuilt (Again) this coming weekend. I also purchased a set of KW's and Vorshlag camber plates that are now installed (I'll post pictures of that later) and ready for alignment at West End. I'm hoping to have the car ready for the Autocross event held in Irvine this september as I had to miss this last weekend due to the clutch plate deciding to take a crap on me (photo below). The plan as of now is joining the local SCCA Autocross and start taking the car to the monthly events in Southern California.

Clutch Plate

Cars
    ^ that torque. Any reason to have this issue? have you considered another clutch?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast