Thread: Product Review: Zeitronix DashDAQ & ZT2 Combo

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX

Product Review: Zeitronix DashDAQ & ZT2 Combo

I wanted to share with you this monitoring/logging solution that i currently am using on my 2003 Evo VIII, which serves as a reliable daily driver and spends some time out on the local tracks every month or two. These parts are universal though, so feel free to apply this to whichever car you have. I've had these parts installed on my car for the better part of a year now, and i can say they have been completely trouble free and reliable, both at the track and in regular day to day use. I’m really happy with them.

The DashDAQ is a powerful, touch screen LCD display, manufactured by Drew Tech.

Zeitronix re-configures it so it interfaces perfectly with the awesome ZT2 Wideband Datalogging System. It has a ton of features. It was recently refreshed, and is now call the nDash. Read more about it here:
    http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/dashdaq/dashdaq.shtml

If you are not familiar with the ZT2, check it out here:
    http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.shtml

The ZT2 can support AFR/Lambda, plus RPM, Vacuum, Boost, Exhaust Gas Temperature, Throttle Position, 0-5 volt sensors, Air/Fluid temperature sensors and Oil/Fuel pressure sensors. The DashDAQ has the ability to interface directly with the ECU via the OBDII diagnostic port, so depending on your vehicle and the software on the DashDAQ, you can at minimum see all the generic OBDII data like RPM, fuel trims, coolant temp, timing advance etc etc etc. I’m typically monitoring 6 on the track: Engine Coolant Temp, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Boost/Vac, Air Fuel Ratio, and Intake Air Temp. The amount of inputs it has are numerous, and if you wanted to log 20 things, you could.

I chose this particular combo for a few reasons. First, I really wanted concealable gauges. When you live in a place (read: Socal) where law enforcement is looking for any excuse to pop your hood, a bunch of gauges become probable cause. Also, several modified cars later i have come to appreciate the neat and tidy look of a stock interior. Here's where it gets tricky though- concealable gauges that are easily viewed while fumbling my way around a road course. So gauges in the glovebox, console, or other standard storage areas are out of the question. With the DashDAQ, it’s now you see it, now you don’t. You just unplug it and put it away.

Datalogging capability was another piece of criteria. Mostly to make sure that the car is happy and healthy out on the track, but there are a number of other benefits as well. It gives you the ability to detect issues before they turn into major catastrophes. Monitoring engine vitals is crucial if you are not only tuning and engine, but then subjecting it to high temperatures, loads, and speeds. You can also ensure that you are getting the most out of your setup, and see where you can make improvements. Logs can be saved to an internal memory card and then exported to spreadsheet. So, it can be quite helpful for diagnostics. The DashDAQ also has the capability to read and erase DTCs like a scan tool.

Before i show you some pictures, i also wanted to mention that you can re-skin the graphic interface of the DashDAQ, and it comes pre-loaded with several different skins (see pics above for two examples). I chose this one because it is similar to the factory gauge cluster. It has an auto adjusting backlight, for clear and easy daytime viewing without killing your retinas at night.

I’m currently using the supplied suction cup mount. So far, i haven’t had any issues with it becoming un-stuck at several track events. I am however thinking about a hard mount for it, but haven’t decided which route to go yet. Anyhow, when you are done using it, just unplug the cables, remove the mount and shazam, it’s gone. The cables are coming out through a gap right below the steering column, and are easily stowed securely behind the dash trim.

This is my standard display. Note that "USER 2" is being used to monitor Oil Temp.

A couple of pics from the install. Here’s the ZT2:

Wideband O2 installed as close to 12 o’clock to mitigate moisture contamination, and about 25” or so from the turbine outlet so you don’t fry the sensor.

This was the fun part. Making a wiring harness for the Oil Temp, Oil Press and MAP sensors. All of these were wired into the ZT2, which connects to the DashDAQ with a cable i routed up through the dash.

On the Evo VIII, the oil filter housing has two plugs that can be removed, revealing great locations for sensors. Here we have oil temp and pressure. For the pressure sensor, i used AMS’ remote oil pressure sender line. These sensors don’t do so well when mounted directly to the engine, so by mounting it remotely you can expect it to live a longer, happier life.

Last edited by Apex Hunter; 09-15-2015 at 07:14 PM.

Cars
    '03 TB Evo 8, '03 Honda Civic, & '07 Suby Outback
    Great write up!

Cars
    Thanks man!

Cars
    '14 Evo X MR, '06 TSX, '99 Prelude
    Can it be programmed to say "WARNING!!! DANGER TO MANIFOLD" when the car is overboosting?

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsmbb6 View Post
    Can it be programmed to say "WARNING!!! DANGER TO MANIFOLD" when the car is overboosting?

Sportback Evolution MR

Cars
    Cars.. 5ft tall club.
    Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Cars
    LOL that would be awesome.

Apex Hunter,
    How is the unit holding up? I imagine you have to connect and disconnect it often so I'm wondering if the connection terminal is getting "loose".

Cars
    Rock solid. Actually had a great time using it today. The connectors have not developed any play at all. The connector on the board feel perfect, as does the one on the cable. And i also swap it into my s2000 sometimes and have used it as a scan tool in a couple of other cars since it has a bunch of OBDII related features, so it's been really useful even if its not connected to a ZT2.

Anyway i'm really stoked on this thing. Done a bunch of track days, road trips, and fun day trips to mountains/canyons/backroads and it is super valuable to me to be able to monitor and log all the data.