Thread: Evo 8 catalytic converter

Cars
    2003 Evo 8 GSR and 2015 Subaru Forester 2008 Lancer

Evo 8 catalytic converter

I tried to find any similiar thread here about installing oem cat on my car cos i have to smog it this weekend. Its been awhile since i put my stock cat on. Is there a front and back position to put it the right way or it doesnt matter? Thanks

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    06 WW IX MR(Gone),08 GG Evo X (Sold), 05 RR VIII (Current),
    correct me if I'm wrong. With new smog system if you don't have any check engine lights you're good to go because cars from 2000 and up don't have to do thru the sniffer anymore.

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    not sure, thats what I heard about the new smog rules but i have yet to have a vehicle smogged myself. if anything though i think you would still need to pass visual.

Sportback Evolution MR

It depends on where you go, there's still a visual check so you will fail that if they dont see a cat converter. Also if your check engine light was turned off by your tuner, you will fail the test. It's best to just slap your stock cat back on unless you go to a chill smog shop. The place I went to was run by a car guy, so he knew what to look for lmao

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    While there is a certain protocol for the visual, most techs take it completely at their own discretion. If you find a guy who is in a hurry, or just DGAF, you're stoked.

I'm not gonna mention any names to protect the innocent here, but i just passed w/o having to do anything to my car. ANYTHING. Granted, my car is mostly stock, but i wasn't sure if the heat wrapped Apex DP & RRE HFC would make it through. As soon as he popped the hood, i shot over and pointed my finger at the CARB sticker for the K&N intake and life was good. I was in and out in 10 minutes. Hello, thank you, and good bye. It was wonderful, and i so don't miss the bullshit i used to go through with more heavily modified vehicles i've had in the past.

And yes, 2000 and newer does not require the dyno, just plug into the DLC port and make sure there aren't any red flags on the ECU and you're good to go.

Mods as follows: Apex DP, RRE HFC, JIC cat back, K&N intake, ETS 3.5", ETS LICP, Radium catch can, Walbro 255, 3 port and a tune from RRE.

For what it's worth, BAR handbook states the FMIC and LICP do not require an E.O. on a factory turbo vehicle, so long as they do not modify the original configuration and the catch can is fine so long as it's routed back into the intake tract.

Evolved
    Cars
    05 VIII MR
    I just recently got a smog check. No sniffer required. As long as the computer is straight in your car, it passes. I bought one of those Cen CEL readers from Harbor Freight to check the systems. I believe you need 8 of 12 to register ok.

In talking with a shop owner (small local vw place) he was concerned about the state messing with his ability to perform smog checks if he was tagged as trying to pass suspect vehicles. I assured him I was there to pass legit and no funny business. I told him about the air filter and asked what his concerns were. His concern was the ecu. My car runs a Dr. Gray stage 1+ and no CEL, ever. He said I passed no problem. The first couple of years I had to do the sniffer (new plugs + stock cat) and he said my car was among the cleanest he tests. Just a little insight to my experience.

Orientation of the cat doesn't seem to matter. I'm not sure I've put mine on the same way evertyime.
    RRE Stage 1+ eleventeen Dr. Gray Empty Stomach Tune

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    was that the same shop you've gone for your old smog before?

Sportback Evolution MR

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    evo 9
    Most all cats have an arrow showing the direction of flow. I believe it was even on my evo 9. Can't remember.

Cars
    2003 Evo 8 GSR and 2015 Subaru Forester 2008 Lancer
    Quote Originally Posted by IH8VTEC View Post
    I just recently got a smog check. No sniffer required. As long as the computer is straight in your car, it passes. I bought one of those Cen CEL readers from Harbor Freight to check the systems. I believe you need 8 of 12 to register ok.

In talking with a shop owner (small local vw place) he was concerned about the state messing with his ability to perform smog checks if he was tagged as trying to pass suspect vehicles. I assured him I was there to pass legit and no funny business. I told him about the air filter and asked what his concerns were. His concern was the ecu. My car runs a Dr. Gray stage 1+ and no CEL, ever. He said I passed no problem. The first couple of years I had to do the sniffer (new plugs + stock cat) and he said my car was among the cleanest he tests. Just a little insight to my experience.

Orientation of the cat doesn't seem to matter. I'm not sure I've put mine on the same way evertyime.
    +1 on these smog my car today and the smog guy check did not used his sniffer tool. He just check all my i/m readiness and all 8 monitors are ok. All he checked is all the vacuum lines is all legit and my aem intake carb number and after that he said i passed. I was in n out for like 15mins... As of my cat it doesnt matter if its backwards or not. On the 8 i believe it doesnt matter. Unlike the 9.

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    thats good to know.

Sportback Evolution MR

Cars
    Evo IX & AP2 (Sold)
    Same here, I recently got smogged earlier this year and can confirm that cars 2000 and older no longer require an exhaust sniffer test.

Cars
    Evo IX & AP2 (Sold)
    Ooopsie!!!