Thread: QUESTION: 2014 Non-SSS (non-HID) head light to SSS HID Xenon Swap

QUESTION: 2014 Non-SSS (non-HID) head light to SSS HID Xenon Swap

I have a 2014 non-SSS GSR without daytime running lights (DRL) and was interested in converting to HIDs using the OEM xenon projector head lights. During my research, I came across a lot of discussions re: HID flickering due to the non-SSS's DRL wiring requiring relay harnesses or needing to use MUT3/Lexia to bypass this problem.

I can't find any discussions re: newer models without DRLs. Without DRLs, will it just be plug n play if I purchase the complete headlight units (w/ ballasts)?

I know there are cheaper options out there than going OEM, but at this time, I'm specifically looking for an OEM replacement, in the cleanest possible fashion.

Thanks in advance.

Bump for some insight

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    im not sure if anyone local has done a retorfit by swapping OEM housings. almost everyone goes the generic HID kit for their halogen low beams. its waay cheaper than buying OEM projectors and OEM HIDs instead of buying aftermarket HID kits.

sure its not cleaner or (technically) street legal, and I even see bike cops with aftermarket HIDs on them, but noone has taken the time to do a proper retrofit to my knowledge.

Sportback Evolution MR

Thanks for the input! I was hoping to just keep it OEM (eventhough it's considerably more expensive) with as clean a swap as possible.

If anyone is interested, I posed this same question in another forum and was told that OEM HID headlights should be plug and play for 2011+ non-SS evo's.

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    Quote Originally Posted by EVO4evo View Post
    Thanks for the input! I was hoping to just keep it OEM (eventhough it's considerably more expensive) with as clean a swap as possible.

If anyone is interested, I posed this same question in another forum and was told that OEM HID headlights should be plug and play for 2011+ non-SS evo's.
    I also agree they should be plug and play. I doubt Mitsubishi would design a different power connector for the non HID and the HID-equipped headlight housing, but then again i could be wrong.

i went cheapo on my daily driver. i didnt bother with a retrofit and plugged in HIDs a day after I got it. never been harassed nor have i gotten flak for them. from afar, they just look like birghter halogens since i stayed with an OEM color (4300K).

Sportback Evolution MR

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    I also agree they should be plug and play. I doubt Mitsubishi would design a different power connector for the non HID and the HID-equipped headlight housing, but then again i could be wrong.
    If anyone is interested, they were plug and play. Again, I believe Evo models with DRLs with experience some sort of flickering, from what I've read, but my 2014 didn't have DRL's and HIDs are running just fine. The leveling switch (which I purchased separately) is also plug and play as well.