Thread: Good deal on tires right now through DTD

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX

Good deal on tires right now through DTD

I just picked up 4 Hankook V12 Evo2s for my S2K for $296 shipped (after $100 manufacturer mail-in rebate, good through 5/22).

There's a $25 instant online rebate as well in there, offer is only good through tomorrow so get crackin if you want to save an extra $25!

more info:
    http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...s.do?pgid=2120

Sweet. I picked up some ad08r last year for a steal from them

Cars
    2011 Evolution MR
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Hunter View Post
    I just picked up 4 Hankook V12 Evo2s for my S2K for $296 shipped (after $100 manufacturer mail-in rebate, good through 5/22).

There's a $25 instant online rebate as well in there, offer is only good through tomorrow so get crackin if you want to save an extra $25!

more info:
    http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...s.do?pgid=2120
    I'm torn on doing R-S3s or RE-71Rs next, getting to be about that time.

Cars
    RS3 not bad but i'd take the Kumho V720s over those in a heartbeat. Cheaper and a better tire. The RE71Rs don't have all that much heat tolerance. They warm up quick and are sticky as shit though. Great for AutoX. Another one to keep an eye on is the Maxxis VR1...they're pretty new so not a lot of info yet, should be interesting to see how those stack up.

Track tires these V12 Evo2s are not...

Cars
    2011 Evolution MR
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Hunter View Post
    RS3 not bad but i'd take the Kumho V720s over those in a heartbeat. Cheaper and a better tire. The RE71Rs don't have all that much heat tolerance. They warm up quick and are sticky as shit though. Great for AutoX. Another one to keep an eye on is the Maxxis VR1...they're pretty new so not a lot of info yet, should be interesting to see how those stack up.

Track tires these V12 Evo2s are not...
    I was reading some comments on a Maxxis FB post about them. People were saying they slick when they get hot, but saying they were using them on a drift car.

"We had theses on a Hyundai genesis drift car, and they were slippery, good to just burn up. They get slippery very fast when HOT. (If you're considering these bc of price, spend a few more dollars and get the Toyo R888's.) And I definitely wouldn't trust these at 130+mph"

Thats just one guys opinion though. I've been loving my RE-11As, and heard 71R were a bit better in most aspects than those. But ya I have mostly used them for autocross.

Weren't you picking up some new track tires or was they the ones you had on already?
    Last edited by Tristan Holtz; 03-30-2016 at 10:40 PM. Reason: addition

Cars
    Right on. It will be cool to see some more reviews, but if that is the case that sounds pretty similar to the 71R- warms up quick, but doesn't have a lot of heat tolerance.

I ended up getting some BFG Rivals for a great price from Tire Rack. So far, so good. It's got plenty of grip and is very stable and easy to drive.

What do you recommend for street tires? I've been using Hankook V12 evo for the last couple sets but heard they are pretty soft. I was thinking of trying federal 595 evo because I saw some goods reviews. Not sure how they would compare though. I was also considering Bridgestone RE760 but they are more pricey.

Cars
    By soft, are you referring to sidewall stiffness? Have you been using Evo K110s or K120s?

I'm sure the 760s are a good tire for what they are meant to be. They are in a lower performance category than the V12s (V12=Max Performance Summer vs. 760 which is Ultra High Performance Summer). I'm gonna take some guesses here, but if you are looking for something in the $350-$500 range, that will handle reasonably well both dry and wet, and net you at least 20-30k miles even if you are not always nice to them, these are the tires i'd be cross shopping:

Hankook V12 K120
    Continental ExtremeContact DW
    Sumitomo HTR ZIII (surprisingly good for how cheap they are!)
    BFG Sport Comp 2
    Dunlop DZ102

Yokohama S-Drive is kinda on that list, but i had them and hated them at the track. Which is fine, cause that's not what they're meant for. Then again, none of those are great at the track. We have those Sumitomo HTR ZIII on our shop car, and have done a couple of track days with them. They did considerably better than we expected. Better than the K110s and better than the S-Drives.

I did a bit of research on the 595 RSR, but don't know much about the 595 EVO.

Yes, sidewall stiffness. I'm using the older K110s, haven't tried the K120s yet, I'm wondering if the K120s have improved sidewall stiffness or if they are just like the older model.

I'll check out the Sumitomos, the Federals are really cheap in 265-40-17 for $90.41 each that's why I may try them, just to go a little bit wider than my 255-40-17s.

I had S-drive on a bone stock evo and loved the wet road performance but wasn't impressed by the dry road performance. This is purely on the street, never tried them on the track.

Canyon Racer
    Cars
    GG VIII MR, WW MR-T
    I have the Michellin Super Sport and like it a lot. Sometimes Costco have good deals on them. Not sure how they will compare to other tires listed here but I like it over the V12 K110 that I replaced. It has more grip and better steering feel than the V12. It's also seem to last a bit longer and good daily drive.

Cars
    ^Yeah, PSS seems to be a great tire and worth the price. I'm running the stock, staggered wheels on my S2K and was looking for something that was a little cheaper to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by lowballevo View Post
    Yes, sidewall stiffness. I'm using the older K110s, haven't tried the K120s yet, I'm wondering if the K120s have improved sidewall stiffness or if they are just like the older model.

I'll check out the Sumitomos, the Federals are really cheap in 265-40-17 for $90.41 each that's why I may try them, just to go a little bit wider than my 255-40-17s.

I had S-drive on a bone stock evo and loved the wet road performance but wasn't impressed by the dry road performance. This is purely on the street, never tried them on the track.
    The K120s allegedly have a stiffer sidewall than their predecessor and better steering feel and response. I hope so! Haha. Here's a little blog article TR did back when they were new, but they don't really get too detailed unfortunately. http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-d...s-v12-evo-k110

Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Holtz View Post
    I was reading some comments on a Maxxis FB post about them. People were saying they slick when they get hot, but saying they were using them on a drift car.

"We had theses on a Hyundai genesis drift car, and they were slippery, good to just burn up. They get slippery very fast when HOT. (If you're considering these bc of price, spend a few more dollars and get the Toyo R888's.) And I definitely wouldn't trust these at 130+mph"

Just saw this review pop up:
    http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103624