Thread: Thoughts on my tune

Cars
    06 Lancer Evolution SSL, 97 Eclipse RS, 2012 Lancer GTS

Thoughts on my tune

Hey everyone i have a evo 9 ssl and been "self tuning" for 3 years now but never really got it. at first i did lots of reading but it all did not click until recently. i have more time to sit and actually tune the car than i did before and was hoping to see if i can improve some areas to get the most of my setup. i have full bolt-on 3 inch turbo back exhaust stock exhaust manifold, hallman mbc set to 25 psi peak taper to 19. 264 greddy easy cams and aluminum radiator (because my stock started leaking). here are the logs, maps, and dyno results. you will see an increase from the first log and im not sure if what i have is great for 91 octane. i also would like to improve my mpg from 19 to anything higher haha. i tried doing the open loop setup when i first started tuning however when i flashed it, i got really lean numbers when i hit the load and tps numbers that were set. like 16:1 and quickly heading to 19:1. it would fluctuate way too much so i stopped with it. I wasn't getting any help on EvoM so I wanted to try here as well. Thank you in advance for your input.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cars
    for some reason it is not letting me add my logs

Cars
    here are the logs i hope this format does not confuse you guys.
    Attached Files Attached Files

If you want to see improvement one of the first mods I always recommend is switching over from an MBC to a 3 port.

Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by lowballevo View Post
    If you want to see improvement one of the first mods I always recommend is switching over from an MBC to a 3 port.
    I had the option to when I first got the car but my wife bought me the in cockpit mbc so I'm working with what I got at the moment. I'm planning for E85 but with my second baby coming along I won't have much to play with. Do you think that there is more power to be made with the mods I currently have or have i maxed it out?

I believe there's still room left, although every car is different. So you're still running stock turbo? What about injectors and fuel pump? Have they been changed? Stock Airbox or aftermarket intake? Are you running stock rom or tephra?

Cars
    I believe there's still room left, although every car is different. So you're still running stock turbo? What about injectors and fuel pump? Have they been changed? Stock Airbox or aftermarket intake? Are you running stock rom or tephra?
    I have stock injectors 255 warbler fuel pump, stock turbo, injen full ic piping, ams front mount, 264 greddy easy cams, Hallman mbc, omni 4 bar map, stock exhaust mani, aftermarket o2 housing and 3" turbo back exhaust, no cat. Running tephra v7 starting to work on speed density now that I have an OK tune on it.

I had a similar setup to yours on my first evo which was an ssl also. The only difference was I had upgraded injectors Denso 660cc and I was running cosworth cams 272. If I were you I would forget about the speed density for now, upgrade your injectors, and do the 3 port boost solenoid. Then retune. If you're going to go E85 then you'll need to do those anyways.

Cars
    I had a similar setup to yours on my first evo which was an ssl also. The only difference was I had upgraded injectors Denso 660cc and I was running cosworth cams 272. If I were you I would forget about the speed density for now, upgrade your injectors, and do the 3 port boost solenoid. Then retune. If you're going to go E85 then you'll need to do those anyways.

Yeah I planned on getting at least 1000cc injectors. Do you really need to go 3 port for E85? I know that it will help with my boost curve but it's going to be at least another year before I get the money I need to do the E85 change.

You don't need to but you are losing a lot of boost by redline. As you said you are peaking 25 psi tapering to 19. The good part about the 3 port is you can control the boost at each rpm interval so you'll be able to hold more boost by redline.

Cars
    I figured as much. So you think that my current tunes are OK or should my timing numbers be higher? I feel as if they are low but if I try to go higher that 9* up top I start knocking. Do you think the Afr is OK as well?

I always use Naji's recommendations as a guide then tune from there.

Here is the timing map that I use on a lot of Evo 9s. Of course, every Evo is different and you will have to tweak this map to fit your need. Keep in mind that this map is set-up with 21-22 psi peak boost (3500-3700 rpm) and the boost holding @ 20.5 psi in the midrange and then tapering to 19 psi by redline. The AFR for this timing is 12-13 during spool-up, 11.6-11.7 during peak and gradually tapering to 11 by redline. It goes without saying, that if you run less boost, and a richer AFR then you can run more timing.
    Unfortunately if your car is knocking up top then your only choices are to reduce timing or add more fuel.

Cars
    I always use Naji's recommendations as a guide then tune from there.

Unfortunately if your car is knocking up top then your only choices are to reduce timing or add more fuel.
    Yeah I have been using both naji's and marlins guide but I think that it can be knocking because it's already too low. But then again im not a pro tuner. I've been reading that some people are running aggressive timing up top so I thought maybe I wasn't going the right route. And that's essentially why I'm here asking. Also thanks for being the only one to reply so far :)