Thread: MR Bilstein rebuild in SoCal

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2006 Evo IX, 1998 Eclipse GSX

MR Bilstein rebuild in SoCal

I bought a set of used MR Bilsteins from a EvoM member and looks like at least one of the front struts is leaking. I saw multiple posts say that Bilstein in Poway no longer rebuilds OEM shocks. I googled and called all the suspension shops in the area and no one seems to rebuild these shocks.

Can anyone give me a recommendation on where to have all 4 rebuilt? I'd like it to be somewhat local to avoid the expensive shipping back and forth. Somewhere in the Conejo/San Fernando Valley would be ideal.

I'm planning on running GTWorx springs on them. Is anyone else running this combo? Should I have the shocks revalved as well?

I was hoping the Bilsteins/GTWorx combo would be a good budget setup so trying to figure out if it's worth keeping it at this point.
    2006 EVO IX - HKS Intake, FMIC, RC 1000cc Injectors, ARP Head Studs, Upgraded Valve Springs & Titanium Retainers, FP 4R Cams, 3" Downpipe, 3" Test Pipe, 3" RRE Stealthback Exhaust, 3200 ACT Clutch w/ Street Disk, SS Clutch Line, Shifter Bushings, Apexi Boost & EGT Gauges, Zeitronix WB O2, OMNI 4 Bar MAP Sensor, Grimmspeed EBCS.....tuned by RD Engineering

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    I was considering that very same combo - GT Worx with the OE Bilsteins. IIRC the general consensus was that they are fine with the standard valving, and Racecomp/GT Worx is well established and did their homework on these and did not declare compatibility with only GSR or MR. However a few manufacturers (namely Swift) do specify different springs for the GSR KYBs or the MR Bilsteins, but they are considerably more expensive.

I recollect that Bilstein USA no longer offers custom valving for the OE Bilsteins, but they will still rebuild them...not sure if that is still the case or not.

If you decide to rebuild them, hit these guys up for sure! http://fealsuspensionstore.com/coilo...es/#coilover-1
    They really know their stuff. I'm a customer and dealer, and vouch for their service and quality of work 100%.

For what it's worth, i ended up selling off my pretty fresh (35k mile) OE Bilsteins in favor of a set of Feal's own 441 kit. Mostly because when the day to rebuild the Bilsteins did come, it was going to be considerably more expensive, and i also wanted more customization options and there was some weight loss there too. And now here we are, i've had them on for about 1 month and one track day so far, and i'm very happy with my choice.

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Thanks, I'll try calling them today and seeing what they say.
    2006 EVO IX - HKS Intake, FMIC, RC 1000cc Injectors, ARP Head Studs, Upgraded Valve Springs & Titanium Retainers, FP 4R Cams, 3" Downpipe, 3" Test Pipe, 3" RRE Stealthback Exhaust, 3200 ACT Clutch w/ Street Disk, SS Clutch Line, Shifter Bushings, Apexi Boost & EGT Gauges, Zeitronix WB O2, OMNI 4 Bar MAP Sensor, Grimmspeed EBCS.....tuned by RD Engineering

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Hunter View Post
    I was considering that very same combo - GT Worx with the OE Bilsteins. IIRC the general consensus was that they are fine with the standard valving, and Racecomp/GT Worx is well established and did their homework on these and did not declare compatibility with only GSR or MR. However a few manufacturers (namely Swift) do specify different springs for the GSR KYBs or the MR Bilsteins, but they are considerably more expensive.

I recollect that Bilstein USA no longer offers custom valving for the OE Bilsteins, but they will still rebuild them...not sure if that is still the case or not.

If you decide to rebuild them, hit these guys up for sure! http://fealsuspensionstore.com/coilo...es/#coilover-1
    They really know their stuff. I'm a customer and dealer, and vouch for their service and quality of work 100%.

For what it's worth, i ended up selling off my pretty fresh (35k mile) OE Bilsteins in favor of a set of Feal's own 441 kit. Mostly because when the day to rebuild the Bilsteins did come, it was going to be considerably more expensive, and i also wanted more customization options and there was some weight loss there too. And now here we are, i've had them on for about 1 month and one track day so far, and i'm very happy with my choice.
    Called Feal today and they didn't know if they could rebuild the MR Bilsteins. The guy I spoke to said to bring it in so they could look at it. Ontario is about 80 miles 1-way from me so definitely not worth the drive just to find out. Anybody else have any recommendations?

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    Did you speak with Zach? He is kind of new there, and the owner (the guy who would know, and has been doing this forever) is competing this week. I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. Try emailing him directly, [email protected], and give him a bit to respond. Let him know that HeelToe Auto sent you! And just to clarify, Zach is a knowledgeable and helpful guy, but this is probably the first time he's been asked this question since he started there.

Let me know how it goes!

Here is another option for you. I don't have any personal experience with these guys, but i hear great things: http://performanceshock.com/index.ph...=index&cPath=1

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Hunter View Post
    Did you speak with Zach? He is kind of new there, and the owner (the guy who would know, and has been doing this forever) is competing this week. I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. Try emailing him directly, [email protected], and give him a bit to respond. Let him know that HeelToe Auto sent you! And just to clarify, Zach is a knowledgeable and helpful guy, but this is probably the first time he's been asked this question since he started there.

Let me know how it goes!

Here is another option for you. I don't have any personal experience with these guys, but i hear great things: http://performanceshock.com/index.ph...=index&cPath=1
    Yup, it was Zach I spoke to. I'll try emailing Odi directly. Thank you.