Thread: Ex-STi guy buys an 05 Evo

Ex-STi guy buys an 05 Evo

Never thought I would get an Evo and Soon as I was driving home I knew I made a good decision.... Those EJ motors are too frustrating and having built one that made 460whp... Far too expensive

2005 completely stock bought from original 50 year old owner with 123,000 mi for $11k... Feel like I stole it!

Water pump and timing belt was done at 121k, I ordered a nice Cosworth Drop in Filter and Bushur TBE...

Tuning in Inland Empire/San Diego

Any new reccomendations? I'm Interested in doing e85

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Lancer Evo 9 SE
    50 year old driving an evo, must be one awesome old fuck lol. As for recommendations, I'm going full bolt-ons. I currently have ported ex-mani, o2 dump, full cat-back exhaust, ported intake-mani, intake, ported throttle, upper and lower intercooler pipping, front mount intercooler, 1050cc injectors (might bump it to 1200-1400cc), walbro 255, 272 cosworth cams, springs and retainers, arp headstuds. As for suspension and handling mods, i would talk to daren from west end alignment, gilbert flores of evolved garage, and/or popular tuners like RRE and KT motoring. My mods are more track/daily oriented. Pick the mods that are right for your application. Track / DD? / Drag, etc.

Congrats on your pickup! Hope you enjoy your new car!

What are your short term/long term goals with the car? That'll depend on what you should do prior to your tune. But an e85 tune on a stock car simply needs fuel pump, injectors, and a boost controller. Anything more will just maximize your gains

I want it to be reliable and get as much power as I can on stock turbo and internals... So do most of you buy a Cobb or what's the most cost efficient way of tuning as I will be in dire need when I put the TBE on by Bushur (sp?) by the way is this system super loud? Thanks for the warm welcome !

Car is a daily driver that might see chuckwalla or button willow from time to time

Cars
    Evo IX MR - 2G Eclipse GST -3G Eclipse (Sold)
    Congrats for the Evo.. You need to consider only tune it with the right parts. No need for Cobb, open source is ok. Start with you research and decide later the parts. You need to learn about Evo mods and later decide.. Eventually you may decide to upgrade your turbo.. Important decision is the tuner..

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    congrats on the *new* car!

Sportback Evolution MR

Cars
    2003 Evo 8 GSR and 2015 Subaru Forester 2008 Lancer
    Congrats on your new car. Post some pictures of it

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hendershaw View Post
    I want it to be reliable and get as much power as I can on stock turbo and internals... So do most of you buy a Cobb or what's the most cost efficient way of tuning as I will be in dire need when I put the TBE on by Bushur (sp?) by the way is this system super loud? Thanks for the warm welcome !
    Most of us don't use Accessports. You can but getting an open source tune is most popular. Of course get as many bolt on mods as you can to maximize your money though. Most people are happy with a tune on intake, exhaust, and a boost controller. If you want E85, you'll need 1000cc injectors, at least a 255lph fuel pump

Cars
    Evo IX MR - 2G Eclipse GST -3G Eclipse (Sold)
    ^ +1
    Check with previous owner how long it's been running with stock fuel pump of if Walbro 255 lph is in there. I'll recommend go with dual map E85 map (no extra software needed all on the stock ECU), drop in filter, upgrade intercooler pipes, injectors and ARP head stubs.

Also before thinking on modding the car, just drive it, cruise with it, try to do 1-2 spiritual drives and later decide what to do.... Maybe only suspension is required to get into the track, tune could help to get more boost. give it time to appreciate the platform and see what it's best for you.

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    Very nice. Been a while since i've seen a stock, black 8. My friend bought one new in 03. I used to hate those tail lights, but i really like the way your car looks in the 2nd pic. Nostalgic i guess.

Anyway, some great suggestions in here already. I'll ditto everyone else. The stock ECU is powerful and has all the tuning capability most people will ever need.

Your car looks pretty clean, and given that you got it from a mature, original owner, it's probably been well maintained. That said, before going down the Evo mod rabbit hole, i'd just go through it and make sure it's tip top. These cars are actually super bullet proof and can last forever with modest goals and careful tuning.

I've got a mostly stock 8 and i'm really enjoying it. I've had a bunch of other Japanese stuff, and despite popular belief, the Evo has been rock solid reliable. Most reliable car i've ever had. I think it's important to really consider how every mod affects the car as an overall system of sub systems all working in harmony. The team behind the Evo had a wealth of resources and knowledge so i am trying to tread lightly. I've just done basic stuff- intake, downpipe/testpipe/catback, intercooler and lower intercooler pipe upgrade, bigger fuel pump, 3 port boost control solenoid, and a tune. That and some nice coilovers, a good alignment, sticky tires, and the car is a blast at the track. And it's still the most reliable car i've ever had.