Thread: Smog help

Cars
    2010 Evo X

Smog help

Hey guys, I recently got an 2010 Evo X with a few mods and I'm wondering what am I going to have to take off in order to smog and register the car.

It currently has:
    - Cobb AP w/Stage 2 tune
    - xForce TBE
    - ETS Cold Air Intake
    - ETS TurboSmart BOV

What am I going to have to do in order to pass smog? This is how I got the car. Included was a cat converter, which I know I will be needing to put on before I smog it.

After doing a bit of research, I might have to use the AccessPort and bring it back down to a stage 0 (simulating stock), get that Catalytic converter back on and get a stock intake (which I really don't want to do just for testing).

What do you guys think? I'm a newbie to all of this (forums, evos, tuning) and I'm in need of a lot of help and was told to check you guys out.

To add, I'm in Long Beach, if that matters.

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    Hi there,

Aftermarket intakes on vehicles model year 96 and later do require CARB certification, per the BAR rules. Page 76 http://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/smog_check...ence_guide.pdf

The AP is technically illegal, but you can still pass. Obviously do not tell the tech that the ECU has been recalibrated, and probably hide the AP, and beyond that you need to make sure that the monitors are all set to ready and you don't have any Diagnostic Trouble Codes currently in play (no check engine light). You might call Cobb Socal for support as needed here. I managed to sneak through with an aftermarket flash, FWIW. The testing system plugs into your ECU and basically makes sure that all the emissions control systems are working as they should. So as long as they are, or as long as the ECU thinks they are, you're good.

Technically, anything upstream of the cat back portion of the exhaust is illegal without CARB cert, but i have personally passed with an aftermarket DP and high flow cat. Depends on how thorough the tech wants to be.

The BOV is kind of a grey area. I have been able to get a car through the visual inspection with an aftermarket BOV that was hooked up to the car like stock, meaning recirculating back into the intake, and vacuum lines following the same path. I brought the BAR handbook and argued with the tech that it falls into the category of "replacement" part instead of "modified". See page 79: http://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/smog_check...ence_guide.pdf

Cars
    2010 Evo X
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Hunter View Post
    Hi there,

Aftermarket intakes on vehicles model year 96 and later do require CARB certification, per the BAR rules. Page 76 http://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/smog_check...ence_guide.pdf

The AP is technically illegal, but you can still pass. Obviously do not tell the tech that the ECU has been recalibrated, and probably hide the AP, and beyond that you need to make sure that the monitors are all set to ready and you don't have any Diagnostic Trouble Codes currently in play (no check engine light). You might call Cobb Socal for support as needed here. I managed to sneak through with an aftermarket flash, FWIW. The testing system plugs into your ECU and basically makes sure that all the emissions control systems are working as they should. So as long as they are, or as long as the ECU thinks they are, you're good.

Technically, anything upstream of the cat back portion of the exhaust is illegal without CARB cert, but i have personally passed with an aftermarket DP and high flow cat. Depends on how thorough the tech wants to be.

The BOV is kind of a grey area. I have been able to get a car through the visual inspection with an aftermarket BOV that was hooked up to the car like stock, meaning recirculating back into the intake, and vacuum lines following the same path. I brought the BAR handbook and argued with the tech that it falls into the category of "replacement" part instead of "modified". See page 79: http://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/smog_check...ence_guide.pdf
    That's a lot of useful information, thank you! I'm going to stop by a smog station and talk with the tech to see what I'm going to need to replace or change before actually doing the smog. I wonder how this will all work out. Thanks again for the help!

Cars
    Sure thing. Glad to help. My experience has been that not all smog techs really know the rules as well as they should. This can work for you or against you. Having some familiarity with and bringing the handbooks has saved my ass. Good luck!

Cars
    2010 Evo X
    Quote Originally Posted by next650 View Post
    Unfortunately, I can not help you! I'm not good at this. Sorry!((
    I was going to say you don't need to reply, then. But I see you literally just made your account and are trying to get your posts count up, lol.

Cars
    EVO X SE
    If fuel injectors are changed from OEM spec to 1000+ cc for better performance etc and a tune changing factory parameters will these changes constitute a smog failer, even though you might be running clear due to e85?

Cars
    ^Yes, you are not allowed to change the fuel injectors. But only if the smog technician actually catches it.

Cars
    EVO X SE
    So you can run a stock tune on bigger injectors then?

Cars
    If the tech catches your aftermarket injectors, that's a fail. Stock injectors are the only thing that is gonna be a guaranteed pass.

Cars
    EVO X SE
    That sucks. I appreciate the info.