Thread: Need help. Car won't crank. Evo X GSR

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2013 WW X

Exclamation Need help. Car won't crank. Evo X GSR

I need some input. Google didn't help much as I have did most things it has asked me to. My car is rarely driven and is a garage queen. This past month, i was not able to drive the car as I was out on vacation. As I came back, I assumed my car would not start because the battery is probably drained out from the month I was gone. Went to start it and it didn't start as i predicted. I tried to jump start the battery but with no luck so now I'm assuming the battery is completely dead. I took a good battery from my other car to try and see if it would start and no luck. While all of this was happening, I failed to realize that i couldn't hear my car crank/turn over it was just silent and only the fuel pump whirring. At this point, I'm assuming the battery didn't have enough juice to crank it. I went to Pep boys to have them test the battery and they said it is still good and helped me charge the battery fully. Went back home to connect the fully charged battery and same thing. Turned the ignition and just silence only the fuel pump whirring in the background. I also tried hitting the starter and nothing happened. One other piece of info that i might think is going is that my daughter was messing with my keys and playing with them and that is the same day my car wouldn't start. I do not have the fast key key. Just the regular key for the GSR so I am assuming maybe that could have triggered something to immobilize the car. I am no means a car guy and don't know much only just the basics. I don't know where else to go from here. Other thing i can assume is bad relay and maybe bad starter. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Car is stock with only an AEM intake and OEM car battery the Panasonic one.

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    That's pretty weird...if the fuel pump is running, i assume that some other electrical items can power up as well, such as the gauge cluster? Maybe check grounds to starter/alternator/battery? Do you have an aftermarket alarm?

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2013 WW X
    Yes, all the gauge cluster powers up. Low beam and high beam works fine and wipers work fine. I'll have to check the ground. I do not have an aftermarket alarm. Just the one that came with the car. Thanks for the input. I'm already at my end on what i think it could be. Only other option i have right now is to try and change out the starter relay. I didn't want to have to purchase something until i figure out if i had done all of the troubleshooting already. This might be the only way to eliminate that guess.

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    Im guessing the starter but for a stock car, let alone a couple years old I find that very weird. good luck man.

Sportback Evolution MR

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2013 WW X
    Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    Im guessing the starter but for a stock car, let alone a couple years old I find that very weird. good luck man.
    Yes Macky it is weird. Pretty much stock and sits in the garage for most of its life. Owned it for about 3.5 years now and this problem shows up. Service tech at south coast mitsu says they doubt is the starter since the starter is pretty much iron clad and rarely break on them. So idk. Ill probably just go and replace the starter relay and hope for the best. But before that ill shake it to see if it needs replacing.

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    yeah I would check it first at least. it just seems odd for that to go. My MR barely gets driven and yet it starts up every time.

Sportback Evolution MR

SoCalEvo.net Shop

For safety reasons the fuel pump will not run unless the ECU sees that the motor is turning. The fuel pump relay is not supposed to activate unless the ECU tells it to once there is RPM happening. So either what you hear is not actually the fuel pump... or something is horribly fried in the car.

Mike W

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2013 WW X
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
    For safety reasons the fuel pump will not run unless the ECU sees that the motor is turning. The fuel pump relay is not supposed to activate unless the ECU tells it to once there is RPM happening. So either what you hear is not actually the fuel pump... or something is horribly fried in the car.

Mike W
    I'm really not sure at this point Mike. The whirring noise that hear, i can hear on the back left side of the driver side. So i assume it's fuel pump going. I'm still so confused at this point on what happened.