Thread: Recently bought my Evo 9 MR any recommendations on what oil to use doing a oil change

Cars
    Ae86

Recently bought my Evo 9 MR any recommendations on what oil to use doing a oil change

I recently bought my EVO 9 MR and I'm doing a oil change but not quite sure what oil to use any recommendations? Have any of you used Royal purple synthetic oil? Would you recommand it? I also just bought Oem Mitsubishi oil filters and Mitsubishi OEM DiaQueen Transmission Fluid 75W85 for my 6 speed MR and NGK EVO 9 Laser Iridium Spark Plugs ILFR7H. What you guys think.

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    I havent used RP myself, been sticking to M1 Extended performance. As far as technical questions, PM MikeW here. Congrats on your car!

Sportback Evolution MR

Junior Moderator

Cars
    Evo 8/9
    Switched from mobile1 to rotella T6. My Evo would always need oil after a few hundred miles with mobile one. I haven't had that issue with rotella
    Pictures on all for sale/for trade threads is being enforced!

I used Mobil 1 on my IX for 10 years and never had a problem burning oil.

Cars
    06 EB Evo IX GSR / 21 Type R
    Mobil 1 ever since I've owned it. I have to add a quart usually between oil change, but can't complain as it's built.

Cars
    Evo IX MR - 2G Eclipse GST -3G Eclipse (Sold)
    oil is oil, Some guys here use Valvoline VR1 for a short time without issues. Personally I'll see in 2 main categories for your oil selection, OEM CAT friendly and Race Oil. For Daily driven Evos, with the need to pass-smog and using a CAT, you can use Mobile 1, Royal Purple, Valvoline VR1, Rotella, and maybe any other quality synthetic oil. Race oil comes with zinc added into the oil. I'll suggest Brad Penn or AMSOil Dominator Race Oil.

SoCalEvo.net Shop

The cool kids change the transfer case oil and the rear diff oil all along at the same time as the transmission oil. TRE has a good FAQ on what fluids and how to get the correct amount in there.

Transmission:
    http://teamrip.com/manual_transmissi...tion_info.html

Transfer Case:
    http://teamrip.com/transfer_case_hyp...tion_info.html

Rear diff:
    http://teamrip.com/rear_axle_hypoid_...tion_info.html

You will find that half of your EVO problems can be solved by going out and reading the internet. The other half get solved by STOP reading the internet!

Mike W