Thread: Race Ramps Review

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution

Race Ramps Review

Finally bit the bullet after a few years of thinking about pulling the trigger. Ordered a pair of Race Ramps and used them in time for a scheduled oil change on my wife's RDX and my Evo over the weekend. Here are my thoughts:

PROS:
    1. MUCH easier than my old jack and jackstands combo - There is less hassle and less chances of you scratching up your toy with these things. It is a LOT quicker to get set up as well. You just need to position the car halfway in the garage, stick both ramps right up to your front tires, center them and drive on. On both the Evo and RDX, I just had to let go of the brakes and let the car roll on the ramps under its own. The ramps didnt budge or move an inch.

2. Safer - sometimes when I had to try and loosen a drain bolt on either my sportback or her RDX I had to give the bolt a good tug and the car would sometimes shimmy. That's not good. On these you could try and shake the car and it wont fall on you. With the two solid rubber wheel chocks (weighing about a pound each) behind each rear tire the car was as stationary as you can get. Plus they are made with a solid core and coated with some rubbery rhino-liner type coating so there is tons of grip and is impervious to nearly all automotive chemicals (according to the manufacturer)

3. Light weight - I had my wife try and lift both ramps using the affixed strap on one end of each ramp and she is a small girl. But she can easily lift both no problem.

4. Reasonable working height between the floor and the car - as you can see in some pics, I had plenty of room underneath to work under each car. I tested the Stingray and it also fits with no issues. I forgot to measure, but it's maybe about 18 inches of clearance on the Evo, higher obviously on the RDX.

CONS
    1. Expensive - They are $214+ tax and shipping via their website. I bought mine through Walmart. Walmart and Amazon both sell them a bit cheaper ($203) but Walmart had free shipping and free pickup to a location near me so I ended up buying mine from Walmart.

2. Cant change pads or rotate tires - obviously these need jacks and jackstands which I have. But for a quick oil change which can get messy (and was the sole reason for buying them in the first place) these are perfect.

Overall I am happy with them. It sucks they cost a lot but after weighing in and thinking about it for so long, I ended up getting them.

Sportback Evolution MR

Thanks for the review. What's the height on the flat surface of the ramp? Also, does the ramp at the bottom have an anti-slip material?

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    The entire ramp is coated with a rubber material similar to rhino liner or what is sprayed on truck beds, so it does not slip. The height from the floor to the flat surface is 8 inches. The stopper is another 2 inches.

Sportback Evolution MR

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    Sweet. In for pics of Macky jumping the RDX off the ramps!

Those do look pretty nice! They sound pretty robust, which is good. I like my good old jackstands (no shimmy here :) but i certainly can see some advantages to those at times.

Cars
    Evo IX MR - 2G Eclipse GST -3G Eclipse (Sold)
    nice review macky.. Do you recommend for guys living on the stance life? (don't get me wrong. typical 1-2 inch drop) What if you have a race lip or front air splitter?

Quote Originally Posted by evo_jfa View Post
    nice review macky.. Do you recommend for guys living on the stance life? (don't get me wrong. typical 1-2 inch drop) What if you have a race lip or front air splitter?
    I personally own the takata super slope ramps. It's much lower than the Race Ramps. These have worked on my lowered s2000 and 01 subaru. By work, i dont have to jack up the car. The only thing that i have a problem with is that they sometimes slide so you'll need to be careful with slippery surfaces.

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    Quote Originally Posted by evo_jfa View Post
    Probably the RR72 Race ramps, which has a longer slope ideal for lowered cars, but I'd measure to be safe. The website has a guide on how to measure which ramp will work best for the car in question.

Sportback Evolution MR

For my wife's RDX, I don't even jack up the car to perform an oil change. I just turn the wheel all the way to the right and am able to slide in and reach over to the oil drain plug without a problem.

Cars
    2010 PB Evo X
    Quote Originally Posted by sdchump View Post
    For my wife's RDX, I don't even jack up the car to perform an oil change. I just turn the wheel all the way to the right and am able to slide in and reach over to the oil drain plug without a problem.
    Gonna go out on a limb and say he likely bought the ramps mostly for the Evo and his Sportback. Having the ramps for the RDX is just a bonus.

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    Quote Originally Posted by sdchump View Post
    I bought the ramps to make it easier to change the oil on my MR and Sportback. I know it is relatively easy to reach the oil drain plug and oil filter on the RDX (I had a 2006 TL before and the oil filter was even at the same location). But with the RDX up on the ramp I can inspect the underside and clean the suspension arm more thoroughly since oil will splash over the right front arm as the oil filter is within the same general area.

Sportback Evolution MR

I hate how the oil runs out from the filter and hits the suspension arm. My workaround has been to use a gallon ziplock freezer bag and wrap it around the oil filter as I am unscrewing it. Last oil change was super clean.

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    Yeah that was my issue when I first started changing the oil on the RDX. my TL had the same placement for the filter. What I tried doing was loosen the filter and wrap it with a plastic bag from walmart but still some oil drips from the filter location to the arm.

What I like is the one on the 2012 explorer. the filter is just ahead of the oil pan. it faces straight down. nothing in between. that was super easy to do.

Sportback Evolution MR

Cars
    2005 Evo VIII GSR
    Race ramps are a nice thing to have for quick maintenance... Mine have worn pretty significantly over time, the edges of mine have started to sag. Likely due to not perfectly aligning the ramp up with the wheel before driving up while having 275's on, but if you're careful they should last quite well. I don't find myself using them very often anymore, but they're pretty useful for quick checks under the car or buttoning up your under tray, etc.