Thread: AP2--->AP1

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX

AP2--->AP1

Time to blow the dust off this section. Ain't shit else going on in here, so i thought i'd throw some of my Honduh content in the mix. Enjoy! (or not, lol) Either way, i welcome your feedback and plan to keep this as up to date as time permits. Some cool stuff coming down the pike for this car.

https://www.heeltoeauto.com/road-gri...thusiast..html

Awesome. I've been thinking about an S2000 myself. Just don't know if I'd regret selling the Evo for it. Kind of want a convertible to have something different than the sedans I've driven my entire life. In a perfect world, I'd keep both, but the finances (and the wife) won't allow it.

I have a friend with an S2000. He caught the mod bug and we have jokingly nicknamed it the S82K for how much money he's thrown at that thing.

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    was that your S2K?

Sportback Evolution MR

Cars
    ^ Yeah, i just sold the white one a few weeks ago. The Buying of the AP1 will be the next installment. Writing these articles takes a long f*cking time cause i'm pretty new at it. :/

Quote Originally Posted by sdchump View Post
    Awesome. I've been thinking about an S2000 myself. Just don't know if I'd regret selling the Evo for it. Kind of want a convertible to have something different than the sedans I've driven my entire life. In a perfect world, I'd keep both, but the finances (and the wife) won't allow it.
    I have a friend with an S2000. He caught the mod bug and we have jokingly nicknamed it the S82K for how much money he's thrown at that thing.
    Ha, i believe it. I won't be adding any power in the near future, so that will help keep costs down. This is mostly just going to be a fun HPDE car that is still really enjoyable on the street.

They're great for sure. If i could only have one, it'd be the Evo because it can do just about anything, and go almost anywhere in any weather, all while carrying me and a few other people and some gear. And then it's still offers a ton of performance. What if you bought the s2k for her? :)

Well, I actually daily drive a Tacoma. So between that and the wife's RDX, I'm pretty much covered as far as day to day things. I barely drive the Evo because a) I don't want to park it outside at work b) don't want to put my sons car seat in it which would force me to drive it daily c) put meaningless miles on it. Somewhat the dilemma you had w the previous S2K. I drive the Evo once a month, at most. Which starts to put the idea in my head that maybe I should sell it for a slight profit and get into something small and impractical like a Miata or S2K.

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    Well, I actually daily drive a Tacoma. So between that and the wife's RDX, I'm pretty much covered as far as day to day things. I barely drive the Evo because a) I don't want to park it outside at work b) don't want to put my sons car seat in it which would force me to drive it daily c) put meaningless miles on it. Somewhat the dilemma you had w the previous S2K. I drive the Evo once a month, at most. Which starts to put the idea in my head that maybe I should sell it for a slight profit and get into something small and impractical like a Miata or S2K.
    I would keep the Evo if it doesn't hurt you financially to do so. The feeling of regret, especially if you have a good condition one, will gnaw at you once you sell it. Trust me, this is my 4th Evo already (2nd X) and one of the reasons I keep it stock is to keep it in cherry and near mint condition.

As it sits, it has only around 645 miles. Everything stock and as it came from the factory. At 3 years old, it will still sell for full value if I decided to let it go and would have no problem convincing any buyer otherwise (the seats alone are immaculate, rears still have the factory plastic covers since day 1).

My end goal is actually to get a good condition used IX or X again and play with that and keep this stock. I've also looked at maybe getting a Mazdaspeed 5 rather than a regular Miata but the right one hasnt come around to yet.

Since you have a daily (Tacoma) I would keep your Evo as your fun car. I also have a daily, and that helps keep the feeling of having a *new* car in the garage fresh every time I look at my Evo.

Sportback Evolution MR

Cars
    That does sound familiar. I think it comes down to what is going to offer a more enjoyable experience for you. This AP1 i picked up is the car i wish i had bought in the first place. It has some miles and some imperfections. Which make it perfect, because i'm able to go out driving wherever, whenever, and do all the stuff with it that i want to do. Rather than just reining myself in all the time. Don't get me wrong, that other car was great and i wish i could have kept it - i'm all about collecting cars, but it's just not the right time for that.

I'm kind of doing both with the Evo in regards to keeping it stock and driving it. I've been avoiding the mods but I did put in some öhlins coilovers to improve handling, just to make it a little more capable when I take it to the track. I'm always torn between driving the car and enjoying it or trying to keep it cherry.

I'm most likely going to keep the Evo unless someone offers me an outrageous amount of money for it or if I come across an amazing deal on an S2K.

Cars
    Well, if you can only have one mod, that's a great one. I'll keep you in mind if i see any sweet S2K deals!

Part II is up now! Join me on my journey across 7 states. Pics and words here! https://www.heeltoeauto.com/road-gri...part-deux.html

Nice write up. All I have to say is "commitment ". I don't know if I could fly cross country and road trip back like that for a car.

Cars
    Haha, thanks man. I tell ya, it was all that time i spent on Bring a Trailer. I'd been itching to do it!

Cars
    Time is flying by here. My new mountain bike obsession has taken hold but i have continued to progress with the AP1! First track day is in the books, but my GoPro memory card crapped itself and I haven't been all the psyched on a video-less blog entry for that. I'm going back to the track on 1/7 though.

Anyway, still got some cool stuff to share, here is the latest!

Cars
    2011 Evolution MR
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Hunter View Post
    First track day is in the books
    Still down for Chuckwalla?

Cars
    Possibly! Shooting for that one anyway.

Cars
    Why should you NEVER cancel your track day due to rain?

I HAD SO MUCH FUN!!! Video included for comic relief!

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    LOL that looed like a lot of fun man!

Sportback Evolution MR

Cars
    Dude it totally was! Can't wait to do another rain session!!!

Evolved
    Cars
    Apex Silver Evo VII
    I want to try a rain session too, just not on the R-S3's I have. They were terrible even with a light amount of rain.
    Art is never finished, only abandoned - Leonardo da Vinci

My Instagram - https://instagram.com/seven10
    Evo Instagram - https://instagram.com/lhdevo7
    Chouseki Lab - https://chousekilab.com

Cars
    I was on a pretty wack tire setup too. S03/S04 actually generate similar grip, so that's fine, but having 760s (less grip) in the back ain't great.
    Fr left = potenza S03
    Fr right = potenza S04
    Rr R/L = potenza re760

That said, i suppose it just made it that much more interesting. And in the rain, having a car that was on the loose side is totally preferably to understeer cause if that's the case, then you're just f'd. At least when it's a bit loose, you can adjust the slip angle with the throttle or weight txfr a bit.

Evolved
    Cars
    Apex Silver Evo VII
    The colder air temps recently probably didn't help much either, I could just feel the car hunting for traction when I took it out. Almost felt like driving on snow, but not in a fun way. I don't DD my car, but I'd ideally like to find tires that are at least going to be ok in a variety of weather as well as sticky on the track.
    Art is never finished, only abandoned - Leonardo da Vinci

My Instagram - https://instagram.com/seven10
    Evo Instagram - https://instagram.com/lhdevo7
    Chouseki Lab - https://chousekilab.com