Thread: EGT probe, am I going to have a problem with STAR smog station?

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2005 evo GSR; 2013 335i, 2004 z4

EGT probe, am I going to have a problem with STAR smog station?

I got "randomly" picked for a STAR smog inspection this year. Does anyone know if an egt probe in the stock exhaust manifold is grounds for visual fail? It's a nice clean install, stock heat shield is still in place with a nice clean stock looking hole. I know a lot of the visual is who you get and how they are feeling that particular day, but I want to know if anyone knows the actual rule around this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 328i-joe; 06-05-2017 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Adding picture

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    Anytime you mess with the exhaust upstream of the cat, an argument could be made for "modified ".

However, any tech with 2 brain cells to rub together should acknowledge that this would not affect emissions/engine performance and is purely for engine monitoring.

I'd be surprised if you had an issue.

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2005 evo GSR; 2013 335i, 2004 z4
    Thanks Apex, being that I have to go to a STAR station is the only thing that worries me, don't know how strict those guys are going to be. Last time I did normal smog shop I had no problem with the probe just to be sure though I ordered a new heat shield today and as long as the probe backs out okay I'll be plugging the hole and covering the evidence with the unmolested shield. Undecided what material I should get the plug in, if anyone has an opinion what to get.